WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went ahead and purchased a brand new SBBN031 from Gnomon a few weeks back as I wanted a Seiko back in my small stable of watches and couldn't bear the thought of not having a 'marine master' text watch before they forever go the way of the do-do errr....I mean 'x' (yeah, I'm one of those that prefers pre-2014 Seikos - sorry). Anyways, I've grown accustomed to the QC issues in almost all of my Seiko watches 'except' for the Tunas. I've owned the 017, 033, 025, 013, and now the 031 - all were perfect, except the one I just received (sigh). I got good bezel alignment - check. Smooth crown action - check. Seconds hand hitting the indices - nope (sigh). Chapter ring alignment - double nope (double sigh). Clean crystal - check. However, the one that is driving me nuts is the bezel action? It starts buttery smooth from 60 to around 40, then it gets rough and clackity from 40 to 25, then back to smooth and buttery, then from 25 to 10 smooth, and finally gets rough again until back to 60. I have searched these threads and found only 2 comments about this problem but no fixes. Since I've had plenty of practice with these pieces I did the obvious: pulled the shroud off using my 1.5mm allen, rotated the bezel so the indent was facing south on the case. I then used my Seiko caseback remover tool (highly recommended if you don't own one - no scratches and perfect leverage). Then I inspected the bezel gasket - no kinks, used some silicone and re-inserted (check). Next, I inspected both click rings - they were perfect in alignment and no adjustment was required. After a final sanity check for debris, I snapped the bezel back on with my press. I know sometimes the shroud can be the culprit if its been over torqued from Seiko land, so i checked the bezel action before installing the shroud. Same performance issue? I went ahead and secured the shroud as it has now gone beyond what I know to check.

My question for the Tuna knowledgeable - what am I missing or has anyone had this issue with bezel performance and if so what did you do to fix? My gut tells me one of the 2 click rings is the culprit as it has very defined 'good' action, and very defined 'gritty' action and they are spaced evenly across the rotation cycle of the bezel.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I love the blingy-ness of the current gen of stainless 300m tunas, the fit, the feel, and of course the look. I suspect I'm just gonna deal with its quirky imperfections and enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Nice looking MM Tuna! I also hope to get a non-X version soon...

Almost pulled the trigger on this at Gnomon a few months back

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a SBBN033, it's my third one. My first two had an exact same issue, but I haven't tried to fix them, I've just returned both of them. The seller has said, that they're all like this and that he can't help me find a better piece. I couldn't believe that Seiko would allow this flaw to pass the QC process and decided to focus on other brands. But I couldn't get the Tuna off my mind, so I decided to give it another try. The current one is perfect, amazing bezel action, every single click sounds and feels the same.

Reactions: hooliganjrs

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the feedback, it's nice to know I wasn't the only one having the inconsistent bezel action. In retrospect, I should have just started the RMA process with Gnomon but I didn't so now I'm having to deal with it. Either way, very sad to see the Seiko QC issues trickle down to what I thought was an immune model line in the 7c46 club.

Unfortunately, I still love this piece - quirks and all. I will admit, my 031 has been the best timekeeper of all my tunas holding +.5 seconds per week. My past experiences were usually at least gaining +2 or +3 seconds per week. Silver linings, lol.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have zero issue with the bezel on my Ninja Tuna, but I would suggest removing the shroud, lift of the bezel and see if there is anything interfering with the action, give it a rinse and put it back together. There are a couple YouTube videos on removing the bezel on the 300m tunas, just needed something lift the bezel

·
Premium Member
71,208 Posts
I’m all out of sensible ideas on this one as you’ve tried all the things I could think of (and more) already. I can only wish you luck and say how good it looks.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks sticky, I'm pretty much just trying to keep this thread alive to see if 'the' answer is out there? I'm pretty much resigned to just deal with it at this point and chalk up to the law of averages w/Seiko.

I might have another go at it later today if another option presents itself - so far, the watch is pristine and I'd like to keep her that way. Every time you pop the bezel, you run the risk of damage so I have to weigh the benefits versus the negative/potential impact.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe the three screws of the Sherwood are too tightly, try to release little
Thx yuda101 - i did try that also as that was one of my first thoughts - and the easiest of the diagnosis attempts. Unfortunately, the issue is the same with the shroud on or off the case.

·
Registered
675 Posts
In retrospect, I could have saved myself a lot of money for return shipping and many hours trying to explain what my problem is to the seller - in real life I almost never turn the bezel. Ever. I have no need for it. Do you use your bezel a lot? Or is it just your OCD kicking in ( like it was with me)?

I put mine on a nato, I think it looks lovely :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In retrospect, I could have saved myself a lot of money for return shipping and many hours trying to explain what my problem is to the seller - in real life I almost never turn the bezel. Ever. I have no need for it. Do you use your bezel a lot? Or is it just your OCD kicking in ( like it was with me)?

I put mine on a nato, I think it looks lovely :)

Definitely OCD, lol. I just have an absurd time grasping with a $1k watch having these issues that don't even pop up in watches at half this price point or even less.

I do agree that I do not use my bezel much - only for timing my meats on the grill or when my wife asks me to remind her of something in 10 minutes.

Yours looks great on the zulu, nice choice!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Zulu, yeah, thanks :)

That was exactly the thing I couldn't come to terms with - my SKX007 having a 100x better bezel action than my Tuna ( I'm one of the lucky few with a perfectly aligned watch with a stellar bezel action). I know it's difficult to forget about it, but luckily it's not a visual flaw that keeps poking you in the eye every time you look at it :)

Reactions: hooliganjrs

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Have you checked the "railroad track" on the underside of the bezel (that part that the click tabs sit against)? Are they all even and undamaged?

I had a SKX173 that did the same thing. It turned out the bezel was not even (even though to the naked eye it looked good)

I popped a spare bezel I had (off a SKX011J that I modded to have silver hands and a SKX007/173 bezel) and it worked fine with no more issue.

It could simply be your bezel instead

I have OCD on some things also but not a bezel as I never use it (heck the most diving I do is in a shower)

As Sherlock Holmes once said : " When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Good luck

·
Registered
994 Posts
Humm maybe the bezel isn't perfectly flat. If you remove the bezel and set it on a perfectly flat table, maybe you can flatten it with some heavy books?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thx for the added suggestion of checking the bezel track to ensure it's even. I'll take a look this afternoon as time permits.

Appreciate the suggestions from everyone!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm surprised at the responses on how this issue is more prevalent than what I had originally thought? Even more interesting is there is no thread (that I've found) that talks about this issue in particular - only a couple of Darth tuna threads about stiff bezels. As stated already, I'm going to chalk this up to Seiko being Seiko and if it wasn't for my love of the tuna, I wouldn't even have one in my collection. I rarely use the bezel so only time will tell if I get over the bezel action quirks or not. I will update this thread for others on what I find when and 'if' I have another go at removing the bezel as it is in perfect shape now and not sure if I want to risk another bezel removal just to see a bezel track issue (which is the current 'check' recommendation)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Man, I just got my 031 delivered today and read your post yesterday, so was little worried I might have similar issue but, whooo, bezel on mine is OK, in fact, it's one of my favorite features on this watch-the action is that good! I really feel for you though, is there any way you could maybe talk to the seller and work something out? The bezel action on these is so important IMO and you deserve one that functions properly. Hope you have successful resolution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts