WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I remember reading a thread years ago about how the reissue historical tuna was the most highly sought after tuna in history due to its rarity. 6159 sure is the grandfather but is the SBDX005 the King? I think I've gone through most every English language reference to the 005 and feel like there really isn't much about owners reviewing it. There are one or two reviews but about a dozen for sale posts. Seems like there are only a few really floating around.

Anyone want to weigh in in this unicorn of the tuna family?

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,868 Posts
Re: Seiko SBDX005, most sought after tuna? Tell me everything there is to know!

SBDX005? I've never heard of it . . .

Going to google it now. I always thought the MM300's historical cousin, the SBDX003, was one of the most sought after pieces, at least mine anyway. :O

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

SBDX005? I've never heard of it . . .

Going to google it now. I always thought the MM300's historical cousin, the SBDX003, was one of the most sought after pieces, at least mine anyway. :O
Yep it's the reissue of the 6159 hi beat tuna. It was released same year as the SBDX003 and is part of the historical edition. Limited to 1000pcs and carrying the 8L35 movement in its Ti mono case and SS bezel similar in finish to the MM300. It's sort of the precursor to the Emperor in that it's nearly the same size (or exactly the same) bit has drilled though lugs. Not sure if the shroud is ceramic coated SS but I'm pretty sure it is, maybe just some kind of PVD coated SS. Came on a flat vent z22 with Ti buckle and rubber keeper just like the strap on the SBDA005 orange Ti samurai.

Sounds like I know a lot about it huh? I've read about it nearly my whole time as a WIS but still don't feel like I have a whole lot of first hand non-spec type info.

·
Banned
33 Posts

Hi Doctor, It's always good to have a physician in da house!

I have read a good article on that big Tuna, got reading and searching for some Ti Nitride color & saw this infomation with a guy that has some other good seiko divers watch articles over the google search and on a old seiko site he posted on with many articles there. Nice watches & no wonder there so popular.

Seiko SBDX005 Professional 600m review

hope this is the one your chatting about/
aquaman61

Yep it's the reissue of the 6159 hi beat tuna. It was released same year as the SBDX003 and is part of the historical edition. Limited to 1000pcs and carrying the 8L35 movement in its Ti mono case and SS bezel similar in finish to the MM300. It's sort of the precursor to the Emperor in that it's nearly the same size (or exactly the same) bit has drilled though lugs. Not sure if the shroud is ceramic coated SS but I'm pretty sure it is, maybe just some kind of PVD coated SS. Came on a flat vent z22 with Ti buckle and rubber keeper just like the strap on the SBDA005 orange Ti samurai.

Sounds like I know a lot about it huh? I've read about it nearly my whole time as a WIS but still don't feel like I have a whole lot of first hand non-spec type info.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hi Doctor, It's always good to have a physician in da house!

I have read a good article on that big Tuna, got reading and searching for some Ti Nitride color & saw this infomation with a guy that has some other good seiko divers watch articles over the google search and on a old seiko site he posted on with many articles there. Nice watches & no wonder there so popular.

Seiko SBDX005 Professional 600m review

hope this is the one your chatting about/
aquaman61
First off I'm a doctor of physical therapy so pretty much any musculoskeletal or neuromuscular problem, I'm your man. Not a physician to be technical.

I read this review but I know there are members with this watch so I was hoping they would weigh in.

·
Banned
33 Posts

ha, well Doc I understand what type of Doctor you are now.
A V.G. specialty!

Glad to see I picked the right model at least, and I hope you find the repore of fellow owners your searching for. :-!

Thanks/
aquaman61

First off I'm a doctor of physical therapy so pretty much any musculoskeletal or neuromuscular problem, I'm your man. Not a physician to be technical.

I read this review but I know there are members with this watch so I was hoping they would weigh in.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts

Reading about these historical reissues makes me sigh. As a newcomer to the magical world of Seiko, I feel like I missed a lot. I hope Seiko decides to release more high end limited editions in the same vein as these historical tribute watches.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ok well now we know where 5 of them are!!!!!

Unbelievable! Why so many and why do you love it?

·
Registered
8,868 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
7,025 Posts

It's a rare fish indeed. A few months ago, maybe even a year, a mint SBDX005 came up on ebay......sold in 1 hr.... BIN $4,495.

I would love to have one myself. It would be a lot cheaper to buy an Emperor and bead blast the case,crown & bezel...not the same, but pretty close.

FYI, the SBDX005 shroud is Ti / PVD

If you find one....buy it, it'll never go down in value:-!

Cheers
Shannon

·
Registered
271 Posts

Actually now that I look at that closer only one is the SBDX005, the rest are no "m" 6159 or later model 6159! Still nice. Maybe we should do a serial number thread to see how many owners we can account for.
Yes,they all are 6159-7010 early model( the dial w/o "m") around the sbdx005 in the picture.

I think i prefer 6159-7010 more than sbdx005,because it's original & comes with many "first".

For me ,a very perfect 6159-7010 is very hard to find and catch . the sbdx005 is not so hard.

·
Registered
39 Posts

And if you dont mind can we see the serial numbers on the four 6159-7010 s to verify that the non "m" are all genuine and not replaced faces please?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Ha, almost two days on the most read sub-forum on WUS and only one owner weighs in with the review of "I like them."

I guess that answers the question of rarity. Anyway, anyone else want to at least weigh in with a remark of any kind?

·
Registered
39 Posts

Thanks mate for your quick reply These numbers if correct date only one of your 6159-7010 collection as bonafida
your watch dated from march your other three are dated july which indicates that the faces only and not the watch
itself are the rarer non "m" but still a beautiful collection of watches you have you lucky man!;-)
By the way my seiko 6159-7010 serial no is 56**** which dates it june 1975..I have found many people on these
sites who own the newer watches but with older faces which is a shame,i just wonder how many rarer ones are are
really out in watchland?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts