WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: Seiko SBDX005, most sought after tuna? Tell me everything there is to know!

Thanks mate for your quick reply These numbers if correct date only one of your 6159-7010 collection as bonafida
your watch dated from march your other three are dated july which indicates that the faces only and not the watch
itself are the rarer non "m" but still a beautiful collection of watches you have you lucky man!;-)
By the way my seiko 6159-7010 serial no is 56**** which dates it june 1975..I have found many people on these
sites who own the newer watches but with older faces which is a shame,i just wonder how many rarer ones are are
really out in watchland?
Hi
Do you meant the rarer non "m" dial only from 51~56 ? or....
Any more information about this ? Please

·
Registered
39 Posts

Hi Davidhu ok here goes you say that you have 3x 57**** numbered 7010s which is the year 1975 then the second digit being the month,and the second digit on three
of your watches dates them to july 1975... your other watch is 53**** again 1975 and the three digit gives the month of march....and if the information i have is correct
i believe that the non "m" only lasted for the first 3 months of production then after march the "m" appeared ,i have not come across a non "m" that has 4 or 5 as the second
digit (April and May) but would love to have this confirmed or have this corrected if anyone can show some proof of the change over date,i have recently asked this question
on this forum and 140 people can not give me this answer to this mystery,but i know that my watch which is on this site if you care to check it out,was produced in june 1975 and has the "m" so if my theory is correct you should not expect to see a watch without the "m" with any of these second digits..54****,55****,56****,57****
58****,59**** and 50****.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Hi Davidhu ok here goes you say that you have 3x 57**** numbered 7010s which is the year 1975 then the second digit being the month,and the second digit on three
of your watches dates them to july 1975... your other watch is 53**** again 1975 and the three digit gives the month of march....and if the information i have is correct
i believe that the non "m" only lasted for the first 3 months of production then after march the "m" appeared ,i have not come across a non "m" that has 4 or 5 as the second
digit (April and May) but would love to have this confirmed or have this corrected if anyone can show some proof of the change over date,i have recently asked this question
on this forum and 140 people can not give me this answer to this mystery,but i know that my watch which is on this site if you care to check it out,was produced in june 1975 and has the "m" so if my theory is correct you should not expect to see a watch without the "m" with any of these second digits..54****,55****,56****,57****
58****,59**** and 50****.
Hi
Have you ever thought there may be other possibilities? If your 56**** had been change for with "m" dial ?
I saw so many of 6159-7010 dial without the "m" from 51~57 .
in case of my own three 57**** their dial and hands and other parts are all match as their age not like they had been changed.
BTW , i don't think had so much non"M" dial for after change use .

i can offer the another case
1000m golden tuna (s23611j) re-issued at 2011, as i know their case back of serial number at least have 18****,8n****,74****
they all fit same dial ,hands,...everything except case back serial number
i had contact SEIKO TAIWAN,but they don't explain this "Why?".

·
Registered
39 Posts

Hi mate I dont claim to be 100% right,and thats the point i have made in asking the question, and nobody out of the 150 people who read
my thread can come up with a definate answer, or any kind of reply for that matter!
Yes i do agree that what i have suggested may not be the true facts,it is my own theory after reading on different watch sites peoples comments and thoughts.
but i think also that the 6159-7010 without the"m" was a short lived project and was changed very early in 1975,and i dont agree with your comments that these
non "m" watches were being put out in the public domain for a good chunk of 1975,though i would be very happy if i was to be proven wrong,also if you were
right and say these watch faces were still being put out there for this amount of time they could not be classed as "rare" because simple mathematics and the
laws of probabilities would after taking away the lost broken thrown away 7010s still have one out of every two watches coming up for sale as being the non "m"
I cant fully understand your english my friend so i cant make out what it is you are trying to say on the example you gave about the 1000m golden tuna so i can not
comment on that watch,i would be happy if someone out there can come up with answers on what went on with these watches back in 1975 ..still nice watches that
you have you lucky man!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

These threads kill me. I have enough watches and I am sure I don't need more than one tuna.... Although it would be nice to have an auto tuna...

What an awesome watch, it is pieces like this, the sbdx001 and the sbdb001 that make me love seiko.

Good luck on the hunt, I think you can officially call this one a "grail".

·
2,069 Posts

I have been fortunate to own two of these beasts. The first one I sold many years ago now, and missed it so picked one up a few years back. It has a metal pvd shroud, pretty sure its steel but could be Ti I guess. The only issue I have with this watch is that the shroud extends over the lugs and interferes with the straps range of motion so if your wrist is a certain size it tends to sit a bit high on the wrist. The Isofrane strap does correct this issue somewhat but I have yet to score my 24mm Isofrane to fit the 22mm lugs. Diameter is 51 or 52mm 18mm thickness, 22mm lugs. IMHO its the best Tuna Seiko has made to date and if you can get your hands on one do it!

Regards,

Ren

Here is the beast with a 47mm Panerai

DSCN1109 by 2500M_Sub, on Flickr

Regards,

Ren

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,166 Posts

I have been fortunate to own two of these beasts. The first one I sold many years ago now, and missed it so picked one up a few years back. It has a metal pvd shroud, pretty sure its steel but could be Ti I guess. The only issue I have with this watch is that the shroud extends over the lugs and interferes with the straps range of motion so if your wrist is a certain size it tends to sit a bit high on the wrist. The Isofrane strap does correct this issue somewhat but I have yet to score my 24mm Isofrane to fit the 22mm lugs. Diameter is 51 or 52mm 18mm thickness, 22mm lugs. IMHO its the best Tuna Seiko has made to date and if you can get your hands on one do it!

Regards,

Ren

Here is the beast with a 47mm Panerai

DSCN1109 by 2500M_Sub, on Flickr

Regards,

Ren
Is the bezel glossy like the MM300's? Your Tuna's a stunner!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Hello Giant Tuna, a rare breed, only 2000 in the world and capable of swimming to depths of 600m. Difficult to catch but I've caught one in great condition. It fought me hard but I wore it down until it became mine.

At 6.75 inches it's a little cartoonish on my wrist which I expected by it's still sort of sad. I sold my SBBN011 because it was just a bit too big and didn't really fit on my shape of wrist well. This fits on my wrist a bit better I guess because of how the shroud is but boy is it huge.

And to thin I thought the Rolex DSSD was a big one!

Here's where I am now!

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,166 Posts

Hello Giant Tuna, a rare breed, only 2000 in the world and capable of swimming to depths of 600m. Difficult to catch but I've caught one in great condition. It fought me hard but I wore it down until it became mine.

At 6.75 inches it's a little cartoonish on my wrist which I expected by it's still sort of sad. I sold my SBBN011 because it was just a bit too big and didn't really fit on my shape of wrist well. This fits on my wrist a bit better I guess because of how the shroud is but boy is it huge.

And to thin I thought the Rolex DSSD was a big one!

Here's where I am now!
Congratulations! :p:p:p

Wear that Monstrously huge and rare Tuna with pride!

·
6,851 Posts

Whoa!!!!! You caught one....excellent catch Doc :-!

Enjoy that Y2K Tuna!

Cheers
Shannon

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Whoa!!!!! You caught one....excellent catch Doc :-!

Enjoy that Y2K Tuna!

Cheers
Shannon
Shannon,
I have now or recently had like 5 from your want list. U1-T is gone, Ploprof is going, sbbn015 is gone, sbga029 and sbdx005 are staying for now. I like it and it's the nicest tuna I've ever had but the size might prove a deal breaker. It's huge!

·
Registered
37 Posts

Hi Guys,

I own 4 6159-7010's, of which 3 of them are of the non m version. Of the 600m and one of the 600 non m version, both were purchased from the same seller in "NOS" or LNIB condition. The non m watch is of serial 53****, while the 600m was 64****. The other 2 non m watches are both 56**** for the serial numbers.

Could we have a possible roll call for those who own 6159-7010's? I'd like to get to the bottom of this as well!

Hi mate I dont claim to be 100% right,and thats the point i have made in asking the question, and nobody out of the 150 people who read
my thread can come up with a definate answer, or any kind of reply for that matter!
Yes i do agree that what i have suggested may not be the true facts,it is my own theory after reading on different watch sites peoples comments and thoughts.
but i think also that the 6159-7010 without the"m" was a short lived project and was changed very early in 1975,and i dont agree with your comments that these
non "m" watches were being put out in the public domain for a good chunk of 1975,though i would be very happy if i was to be proven wrong,also if you were
right and say these watch faces were still being put out there for this amount of time they could not be classed as "rare" because simple mathematics and the
laws of probabilities would after taking away the lost broken thrown away 7010s still have one out of every two watches coming up for sale as being the non "m"
I cant fully understand your english my friend so i cant make out what it is you are trying to say on the example you gave about the 1000m golden tuna so i can not
comment on that watch,i would be happy if someone out there can come up with answers on what went on with these watches back in 1975 ..still nice watches that
you have you lucky man!

·
Registered
271 Posts

Hi Guys,

I own 4 6159-7010's, of which 3 of them are of the non m version. Of the 600m and one of the 600 non m version, both were purchased from the same seller in "NOS" or LNIB condition. The non m watch is of serial 53****, while the 600m was 64****. The other 2 non m watches are both 56**** for the serial numbers.

Could we have a possible roll call for those who own 6159-7010's? I'd like to get to the bottom of this as well!
I agree & will support .

·
Registered
39 Posts

Hi adlee I sure that the your your non "m" is fully genuine with the 53**** serial no ,but we need some clarity on the 7010s dated after march to be sure!
as you know the two watches without the "m" date from june 1975 with the 56**** and my own watch dates the same but it has got the "m", ..so as i pointed
out to Davidhu it would be nice to find the crossover date as i have never come across a non "m" dated after june 1975,and most that i have seen which i believe
to be 100% seem to be dated 51****,52****,53**** i do not recall seeing any with april/may dates on,but would love maybe sombody from Seiko could shine
a light on these murky waters and let us know whats going on? View attachment 765895

·
Registered
37 Posts

Hi crazyhorse, based on the number of watches that Davidhu and myself have, thats 2 made in June 1975 and 3 made in Jul 1975 that are non m marked. The empirical evidence seems to indicate that its possible that these were made up to that date?

In your previous post, you mentioned that "i believe that the non "m" only lasted for the first 3 months of production then after march the "m" appeared" - could I ask where you got that information from? As you can imagine, we have a vested interest to hope that what you said isnt' true! Of course i'd love to find out the truth, fingers crossed its the same truth that I prefer. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts

Hi mate i dont know for 100% fact it is just the fact that i own one and have observed on various site people asking the same questions
and everyone likes to believe that they are experts,me included,i am not a watch collector like many of you folks here and i am not a dealer,
i just like my watch because i have owned it for many years and have tried to gleam as much information as possible as to attain the history that surrounds
this vintage watch,when i mentioned my theory to davidhu it is just going on what information i have heard and read over time,i am led to believe that the
7010 without the "m" was a print error and was changed a few months into production,and if this is correct it is just possible that maybe seiko decided to
carry on use of the non "m" even after the new "m" version was introduced to the public to save on cost and to not have them wasted,...or people have
seen the chance to fool people into believing they have the "rarer" non "m" by simply changing the face then selling at a higher price,if i am correct then a
lot of people have been ripped off ....i have asked the people on this forum but not one single person seams to have the answer,seems like only seiko can
give us the answer to this mystery unless somebody out there who comes on wys can sort this out.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Hi mate i dont know for 100% fact it is just the fact that i own one and have observed on various site people asking the same questions
and everyone likes to believe that they are experts,me included,i am not a watch collector like many of you folks here and i am not a dealer,
i just like my watch because i have owned it for many years and have tried to gleam as much information as possible as to attain the history that surrounds
this vintage watch,when i mentioned my theory to davidhu it is just going on what information i have heard and read over time,i am led to believe that the
7010 without the "m" was a print error and was changed a few months into production,and if this is correct it is just possible that maybe seiko decided to
carry on use of the non "m" even after the new "m" version was introduced to the public to save on cost and to not have them wasted,...or people have
seen the chance to fool people into believing they have the "rarer" non "m" by simply changing the face then selling at a higher price,if i am correct then a
lot of people have been ripped off ....i have asked the people on this forum but not one single person seams to have the answer,seems like only seiko can
give us the answer to this mystery unless somebody out there who comes on wys can sort this out.
No offense new guys but what exactly does cataloging your 6159's have to do with my post? Please start your own thread and play detective all you want, you might actually get more responses because your thread title would actually have something to do with the subject matter! I don't get it but based on your post counts maybe your not sure how to start threads in which case contact a moderator and they will be happy to help.

·
Registered
271 Posts

No offense new guys but what exactly does cataloging your 6159's have to do with my post? Please start your own thread and play detective all you want, you might actually get more responses because your thread title would actually have something to do with the subject matter! I don't get it but based on your post counts maybe your not sure how to start threads in which case contact a moderator and they will be happy to help.
Hi Doctor
Sorry for reply leave the topic on your post

·
6,851 Posts

Shannon,
I have now or recently had like 5 from your want list. U1-T is gone, Ploprof is going, sbbn015 is gone, sbga029 and sbdx005 are staying for now. I like it and it's the nicest tuna I've ever had but the size might prove a deal breaker. It's huge!
Yeah the auto Tuna's are huge....I hope you wear it enough to bond with it. It really is a Holy Grail Tuna.

My want list is going to boil down to just the PloProf...my grail...someday:)

Cheers
Shannon

21 - 40 of 44 Posts