WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new seiko diver from ebay. Unfortunately the seller did a pretty poor job of packing the watch for shipping. As in he threw it in a paper fedex ship bag and off it went, no bubble wrap or packing peanuts. The watch box was all that was there to protect the watch.

Well, fedex dropped it today and I mean literally dropped it on my porch with a thud. My wife opened it up and found that the watch presentation box was damaged. My question now is what are the chances that the watch itself has sustained some sort of hidden damage since it was shipped without any protection other than the presentation box?

I'll take a look at it when I get home, but what sort of things might be on the lookout for other than a watch that doesn't keep time properly or something falling off?

Thanks.

H

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
This would really piss me off. I've had it happen to me and it never ceases to amaze me how a seller can be so lazy as to not pack an item properly, then be surprised when the item has sustained damage. As I see it you have two options, either returne it or keep it. the seller might tell you that the presentation box was not part of the deal. If it was and it is damaged, you should be entitled to enough of a refund to source a replacement. If the watch is damaged (not working as it should, Then just return it for a full refund.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
I just bought a new seiko diver from ebay. Unfortunately the seller did a pretty poor job of packing the watch for shipping. As in he threw it in a paper fedex ship bag and off it went, no bubble wrap or packing peanuts. The watch box was all that was there to protect the watch.

Well, fedex dropped it today and I mean literally dropped it on my porch with a thud. My wife opened it up and found that the watch presentation box was damaged. My question now is what are the chances that the watch itself has sustained some sort of hidden damage since it was shipped without any protection other than the presentation box?

I'll take a look at it when I get home, but what sort of things might be on the lookout for other than a watch that doesn't keep time properly or something falling off?

Thanks.

H
Well, here is my recommendation:

Give yourself a "24-hour cool off period" in which to observe the watch:

1) Do not size the bracelet if so equipped
2) Do not wear the watch
3) Do not remove any protecting stickers or tags from the watch.
4) Check the watch with a fine tooth comb... Check the crystal, case, caseback, bracelet/band and clasp.
5) Set the time and monitor the watch to see if it is keeping time or gaining/losing excessively.
6) Check the operation of the crown and make sure you can set the time, day/date. etc
7) If the watch is mechanical, avoid shaking it violently to jump start the movement.
8) Make sure all the dial markers are in place and pay attention to erratic movement of the hands.

The watch itself may have not sustained any damage. But, just to be safe, keep an eye on it for a full day. If you do notice something wrong with it, do contact the seller right away and making him aware of the situation. Also (and this should be done before hand) ask him what are his exchange/refund policies in case something has gone wrong with the timepiece.

The important thing here is to resist the temptation of removing any tags from the watch until it passes the sniff test.

Good luck.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wise advice... o|

You know who else does this, all the time? Amazon. They have the poorest packing I've ever seen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, here is my recommendation:

1) Do not size the bracelet if so equipped
2) Do not wear the watch
3) Do not remove any protecting stickers or tags from the watch.
4) Check the watch with a fine tooth comb... Check the crystal, case, caseback, bracelet/band and clasp.
5) Set the time and monitor the watch to see if it is keeping time or gaining/losing excessively.
6) Check the operation of the crown and make sure you can set the time, day/date. etc
7) If the watch is mechanical, avoid shaking it violently to jump start the movement.
8) Make sure all the dial markers are in place and pay attention to erratic movement of the hands.

The watch itself may have not sustained any damage. But, just to be safe, keep an eye on it for a full day. If you do notice something wrong with it, do contact the seller right away and making him aware of the situation. Also (and this should be done before hand) ask him what are his exchange/refund policies in case something has gone wrong with the timepiece.

The important thing here is to resist the temptation of removing any tags from the watch until it passes the sniff test.

Good luck.
Yes, I'll do the above. I never wear or do anything to a new watch for at least a day or two. I prefer to observe it first before I make it a used watch. Thanks for the list of things to look out for. I'll keep those in mind when I get home tonight and look it over.

The seller sold the same watch a few weeks ago and got some nice feedback, so I figured he knew what he was doing. Apparently not. :-s

I'm surprised people ship things like this. I guess they never think about what Fedex or UPS will do to your package once they have it. I've seen all sorts of bad things happen to packages. Fortunately stuff has usually been packed sufficiently well to avoid damage. My wife was very surprised when she saw the package and I told her what should be in it.

Will keep you guys updated once I see what it looks like.

H

·
Registered
489 Posts
Stories such as this is what makes me very leery about buying a watch from EBay.

I wouldn't let one person's experience make you leery. I have purchased almost all of my watches exclusively from eBay and have never had a problem like this. It's all about who you buy the watch from, not eBay itself. Purchase from a good established seller and you should be fine.

On a side note, I have purchased a few Seikos from some other sites that have come to me with damaged display boxes. This seems to be very common, actually, so I would first reach out to the seller and ask them if the box was damaged to begin with. Of course, they could always lie and say that it was to protect themselves, but that may be the case.

I think MINIDriver's advice is perfect, though. In the end, the box doesn't matter, and so long as the watch wasn't loose, it may not be damaged at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't let one person's experience make you leery. I have purchased almost all of my watches exclusively from eBay and have never had a problem like this. It's all about who you buy the watch from, not eBay itself. Purchase from a good established seller and you should be fine.

On a side note, I have purchased a few Seikos from some other sites that have come to me with damaged display boxes. This seems to be very common, actually, so I would first reach out to the seller and ask them if the box was damaged to begin with. Of course, they could always lie and say that it was to protect themselves, but that may be the case.

I think MINIDriver's advice is perfect, though. In the end, the box doesn't matter, and so long as the watch wasn't loose, it may not be damaged at all.
I wouldn't say that buying on ebay is bad. I think I just got a seller who was shall we say less than intelligent in his packing. I have bought many things on ebay and it really depends on the seller. Some pack well and some just don't care.

On the topic of the watch. I put it on my winder last night. This morning (12 hrs later) it lost about 2 seconds. So that looks promising. No damage on first inspection. But I was tired from work last night so I will have to look it over again more carefully or have my wife look it over as it'll probably be another late night at work here. Hopefully when the Fedex guy dropped the bag the box took the damage and not the watch.

I'm still ticked off that the seller would ship it that way though. His response was he shipped watches that way before and nothing bad happened before. o|

H

1 - 8 of 8 Posts