WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seiko SKA371P1 Alternative bracelet?

22K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Incertus 
#1 ·
I was wondering whether any Seiko dive watch owners on the forum might be able to offer any advice about alternative bracelets for the Seiko SKA371P1?

My wife bought me an SKA371P1 for Christmas, and in general I'm very happy with it, although the weight is taking a little time to get used to (it's more than twice as heavy as my previous watch!)

The only problem seems to be with the bracelet, which is irritating my wrist, due to the dive expansion mechanism, and the design of the fastener itself, which has a slightly inward-jutting design which rubs the inside of my wrist (see image below). The bracelet has to be at that diameter in order to stop it slipping down my wrist, due to the weight of the watch ( have pretty small wrists!).

Body jewelry Fashion accessory Jewellery Fashion Gemstone

I would ideally like to get another Seiko bracelet without the dive expansion fastener and with a fastener design which doesn't jut inwards, but I realise this may not be possible, and that I'd probably have to go for a non-branded bracelet.

So really, I was wondering what people's advice would be about this, and if I had to go for a non-Seiko bracelet, is there any particular brand they'd recommend?

Cheers!

See less See more
#3 ·
Strapcode has a nice Super Oyster with custom end links made for this watch. I just ordered one for my SRP043 which has similar lugs.

Mods, feel free to delete photo if it violates forum rules.

#4 ·
Hi there,

Cant really offer any suggestions on a suitable bracelet, but its good to hear I'm not the only one who has this issue.

Its a fantastic watch, I love mine , but I have a 6 1/4" wrist, and need a really short 6 O'clock side which results in a deep red mark in my wrist from the divers extension! I just put up with it being part of the watch, although I have been wearing it lately on a Corvus Bond Nato, but as you say, it has to be tight to stop the weight from moving about.

Seiko did do a steel bracelet which looked just like a Rolex Jubilee bracelet years ago, but hav'nt seen one in the UK for ages. Anyone know the one I mean?

Richard.

#5 ·
Hi there,

Cant really offer any suggestions on a suitable bracelet, but its good to hear I'm not the only one who has this issue.

Its a fantastic watch, I love mine , but I have a 6 1/4" wrist, and need a really short 6 O'clock side which results in a deep red mark in my wrist from the divers extension! I just put up with it being part of the watch, although I have been wearing it lately on a Corvus Bond Nato, but as you say, it has to be tight to stop the weight from moving about.

Seiko did do a steel bracelet which looked just like a Rolex Jubilee bracelet years ago, but hav'nt seen one in the UK for ages. Anyone know the one I mean?

Richard.
My wrist is about the same size as yours, which is why I'd always been reluctant to buy a sports watch in the past, because they tend to look oversized on my wrist. The weight of the watch has been a surprise, as has its dimensions - it is difficult to accommodate it under a double cuff shirt, for example. Also, (I don't know if you have found this as well) the crown can dig into the top of your hand if the watch slides too far down your wrist.

I wondered whether Seiko do smaller dive watches, but they don't seem to make them, not even in a women's three-quarter size. Surely there must be other men out there with small wrists? I'll take a look at the suggestions above for an alternative bracelet!

#7 ·
Hello small-wristed folk! I have a 6 inch wrist and the BFK is just right for me :-!. I also work out a lot so maybe that helps me tolerate it more. I put The BFK on an orange zulu as you can see in the picture and it is extremely comfortable. I would also like to point out however that the bracelet is the most comfortable bracelet out of the watches I own. IMO it feels more comfortable than the monster OEM bracelet.

I will be getting an ABN AMRO strap within this week hopefully and I will tell you how comfortable it is.

As for metal bracelets, I would suspect than a watchadoo or anvil bracelet would be really comfortable. I did try to swap the bracelet from my monster into the BFK but it was really awkward and I didn't want to scratch up the lugs trying to fit it in.

Good luck in your search ;-)

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory
Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Orange

#8 ·
This is one thing that I'm finding a little irritating about Seiko, although I'm sure lots of other manufacturers do it too.... Why are there so many different models/styles of watch available only in certain countries? Here in the UK, (although please someone correct me if I'm wrong) we can only get Divers models:
SKA 371 kinetic, with either black or yellow dial, or the Auto identical version, or an SKA 371 with black coating. Thats it!
I found this when looking for my latest toy, an SNXS73 (5 Auto) there are only 4 models available, through 1 high street chain (F. Hinds) all other shops, and even Seiko UK when I e-mailed them, says the '5' range is almost obsolete in the UK and exclusively available only from F.Hinds! (Which is where I got mine).

Theres none of these nice models that you meantion, on jubilee-type bracelets, Seiko's UK website doesnt recognise half the reference numbers we see on here:-(

Now I'm talking about authorised high-street retailers here, maybe more models are available from online retailers, who can maybe import these 'foreign' models, I dont know.

Richard.

#9 ·
This is one thing that I'm finding a little irritating about Seiko, although I'm sure lots of other manufacturers do it too.... Why are there so many different models/styles of watch available only in certain countries? Here in the UK, (although please someone correct me if I'm wrong) we can only get Divers models:
SKA 371 kinetic, with either black or yellow dial, or the Auto identical version, or an SKA 371 with black coating. Thats it!
I found this when looking for my latest toy, an SNXS73 (5 Auto) there are only 4 models available, through 1 high street chain (F. Hinds) all other shops, and even Seiko UK when I e-mailed them, says the '5' range is almost obsolete in the UK and exclusively available only from F.Hinds! (Which is where I got mine).

Theres none of these nice models that you meantion, on jubilee-type bracelets, Seiko's UK website doesnt recognise half the reference numbers we see on here:-(

Now I'm talking about authorised high-street retailers here, maybe more models are available from online retailers, who can maybe import these 'foreign' models, I dont know.

Richard.
Snap, there seems to be quite patchy coverage, in terms of model availability. I guess if you buy a foreign import from an accredited dealer, which has a full guarantee and diver's certification (where relevant) then you're pretty covered. I am now selling my SKA371P1, and have bought a smaller diver's model.

#12 ·
Oooh, nice decision, its nice to have something that is pretty rare in your vicinity. I dont think this ones around much in the UK, I'm sure that at 38mm it will fit a small wrist just perfect, and a Jubilee-type bracelet should be nice 'n' flexable to suit too.

Post some pics wont you!;-)

#13 ·
Oooh, nice decision, its nice to have something that is pretty rare in your vicinity. I dont think this ones around much in the UK, I'm sure that at 38mm it will fit a small wrist just perfect, and a Jubilee-type bracelet should be nice 'n' flexable to suit too.

Post some pics wont you!;-)
Yes, I couldn't find one for sale in the UK (which isn't to say that there isn't one around somewhere). Eventually I ordered one from Bodying, which is sourced from an authorised Seiko dealer (so they assured me)...waiting for it so be sent from Malaysia.

Will post pics when it arrives...

#14 ·
OK, well the new SKX013K2 has arrived from Malaysia...very quck postage to the UK from Bodying, I was quite surprised. Came with a full guarantee etc, although no certification of testing for water resistance, which I received for the previous watch.

Initial thoughts - the watch fits a lot better than the SKA371P1, and suits my size wrist a lot better:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

The detailing looks good, and importantly, it's much more comfortable to wear.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

The size difference is really apparent when you put both watches side by side for a comparison:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

The only thing I'm not totally happy with is the bracelet - I don't like the taper on it, because it looks a little feminine for my taste, and feels a bit insubstantial. I might try to source an oyster bracelet (without a diver's adjustment!) for the new watch. I think the lugs on the new watch are 20mm - if anyone can corroborate this, I'd be grateful, and if anyone knows whether it's possible to fit an oyster to this model, I'd be very interested.

#15 ·
For those of you who are interested, a quick update.

I bought a Seiko Super Oyster, from Wjean, as recommended, and fitted it to the new watch - very pleased with the results! The heavier bracelet gives the watch a bit more 'authority' than the Jubilee, which felt a bit insubstantial:

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#17 ·
Yeah i have this watch also, its absolutely lovely, this is the first decent watch ive bought and a good way to build a collection. My wrist is under 6 inches if i remember correctly, very thin which is why i did alot of research before buying. but this fits very well! With regards to accuracy, i cant help you there im new to all this so i just reset it every week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.