WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am considering getting myself an automatic diver... maybe. The one that has caught my attention was the Seiko SKX007. I'm looking for people's opinions about the watch, particularly the movement - how accurate is it? But, please, do not restrict yourself to just discussing the movement - tell me how you feel about your SKX007. Any and all opinions welcome!

P.S. How do the Seiko autos compare to Citizen? They have a couple of models that look nice, but if the Seiko is better, well, you know. :)

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
I don't own that Seiko so I can't comment. The Citizen diver autos are grey market imports here in the US and they appear to be very good watches. You can pick one up for US$100 which is 10-20 times less the price of a top of the line Seiko Prospex auto diver.

Citizen, at least here in the US, is not really known for automatic watches. However, there is a 3rd alternative to both Seiko and Citizen and that is Orient:

www.orientwatchusa.com

They have pretty respectable divers that I think compete fairly well with Seiko offerings and for much less $$$.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
I am very happy with my SKX007. It's a good watch, workhorse movement, mine runs a little fast, but that's ok, I'm always late! Hasn't leaked, I swim w/ it. Only thing I didn't like was the rubber strap...I don't scuba, so off it went & a Zulu is on. It's THE affordable icon in the dive watch world...IMHO every collection should have one.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
If you like the style, I would get it without hesitation. It is a modern icon of Seiko divers, affordable, and looks very nice and is more versitile than you would think.

I thought I would never buy one. I just didn't get the styling and wasn't into divers much. I've seen so many here and just thought that maybe I was missing something. I then found this article in GMT+9 that just put me over the edge and I made a greater connection with the SKX007 that I couldn't resisit.

http://www.gmtplusnine.com/2007/08/03/the-depth-of-seiko-diver-watch-design-the-classic-skx007/

I believe the accuracy spec for the movement is +/- 25 seconds per day (or something close to that) Mine runs at about +10 sec per day, which is probably about average. The movement can be regulated to bring closer to zero, although with all mechanical movements, you have to be willing to accept some deviation from day to day.

The watch itself I believe is perfectly designed. The bezel action is unbelievable and feels more like an instrument than what you would expect on a watch. Lume is great. Case work is simple, but very nice. The crown feels a little wobbly when extended to set the time, but this is not unacceptable. My only disappointment is with the stock Jubilee bracelet. It is very comfortable, but has a little cheap feel to it. I think this is more pronounced with the clasp than the bracelet. It's not throw it in the trash quality, but with a perfect watch, you just want everything else to be perfect. I also think that the Orient 200M divers come with really substantial bracelets and clasps for less money, so this just accentuates the disappointment with the 007 Jubilee.

The coolest thing about the 007 is the supply of parts. Bezel inserts and crystals are easily replaced. The selection of aftermarket hands, dials, inserts is huge. If you don't like or get bored with the design, with just a little creativity, you can turn the 007 into just about anything.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
25 sec/day deviation I can deal with., but it's close to my 30 sec/day limit. If real world use gets me around 15 sec/day, I'd be happy with that (especially at the price!). You cannot hand-wind this model, correct?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Agree, it's a total classic and should be in each collection. I had one but had to sell it due to lack of funds :-(. I will definitely get another one when I finish studying and get a job... and this time I'll keep it forever and would maintain it throughout. Love the style and the quality is very nice for the price. It's an ISO rated diver as well, so it's the real deal... not a "diver style" watch like so many others.

The size is nice, watch face is very readable, rubber strap is not so comfortable but looks just amazing I think. I think mine was +2/3 minutes a month, which is ok for an automatic. It's a classic however so you have to take a bit when you buy an automatic watch, but the style and build quality make up for it. I would not have it as a single watch (due to accuracy when compared to quartz - I'm a bit of an accuracy freak) but for a collection and to slap on for a good few weeks/months at a time and not have to worry, I find it a great piece!!

Seiko = diver's watches, and this is their iconic affordable diver's timepiece. Enough said. :)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
One last question: What is the difference between the J designation here: http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=1680, with the "21 jewels" marking on the dial and the K designation, such as here: http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=2294? (besides the 20 bucks, I mean :)).
You've answered your own question. J version is made in Japan; K from Malaysia. Most members here will tell you that, beyond those factors, there is nothing different between the two.

I have had my SKX for nearly 10 years (made in Singapore at the time) and it has never been serviced. It has been dropped, banged, knocked, vibrated on an interstate motorcycle trip, and neglected at the bottom of a drawer for years. Just last month I finally took it out into daylight and shook it a few times and it started running as if I just laid it down yesterday.

The time accuracy is +-5 seconds per day. Pretty damn good watch--much better than the price it carries.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You can get the regular watch or get one moded or do it yourself for little $ and it will be totally unique. I get many compliments. feel free to ask me any more questions . If you arer nitpicker you can regulate the time like any other automatic by adjusting the movement. You cannot hack this watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
it's +3/4 minutes a month, no problem for me....guess I could have it regulated, too lazy, will wait 'till it needs a service.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
One last question: What is the difference between the J designation here: http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=1680, with the "21 jewels" marking on the dial and the K designation, such as here: http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=2294? (besides the 20 bucks, I mean :)).
They're the same thing. Just different printing on the label for the intended market. Some swear that the J is made in Japan, while the K is made elsewhere, but I don't know if this has ever been verified. Some swear that the J models are superior, thus the slightly greater price. Save the $20 and get yourself some Nato straps.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
No one here will be able to tell you how accurate the watch you will receive will be... unless you buy it used and that person has kept track of it. These aren't COSC rated watches so they aren't standardized at a narrow range of rates. That said, mine runs pretty well at about +5-8 seconds per day. That is well above average for a 7s26. I'd say expect deviation from 15-30 seconds a day. You can always regulate that down.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
No one here will be able to tell you how accurate the watch you will receive will be... unless you buy it used and that person has kept track of it. These aren't COSC rated watches do they aren't standardized at a narrow range of rates. That said, mine runs pretty well at about +5-8 seconds per day. That is well above average for a 7s26. I'd say expect deviation from 15-30 seconds a day. You can always regulate that down.
Japanese watchmakers have largely ignored the COSC mantra. Anyway, their watches have proven to be as accurate and more accurate than the overpriced Swiss brands.;-)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Umm.. I was saying that the expensive Swiss watches have a standard for their movements whereas an inexpensive watch like a 007 will be all over the board. Seiko's 007 watches definitely would not be able to meet a standard like COSC.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had mine for about a year now, and I love it. I dropped it when I first got it, and the gear that turns the date wheel inside broke, so the only way to adjust the date is to turn it forward 24 hours at a time, but it still keeps pretty good time. If I wear it all day every day (sometimes I alternate with other watches, but my skx is for sure my daily wearer) it is within 10 seconds a day. I adjust it maybe once a week. The Lume is OUTSTANDING. Better than tritium IMOP. It won't glow a full twelve hours, but when it does it's much brighter. Definatly passes the movie theater test. It's very comfortable, and duable. I work in the automotive industry, so im pretty rough on my watches, and this one shows little wear. I would definatly recomend this watch. I had a citizen aqualand diver before this, but did not like the water sensor that put the watch into "dive mode" every time it got wet. Very inconvenient. Other than that, a great watch as well though.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They're the same thing. Just different printing on the label for the intended market. Some swear that the J is made in Japan, while the K is made elsewhere, but I don't know if this has ever been verified. Some swear that the J models are superior, thus the slightly greater price. Save the $20 and get yourself some Nato straps.
The J model does have "Made in Japan" on the bottom of the dial, while the K model does not. Of course, that does not mean that it is not made in Japan, but knowing how much value is being placed on the "Made in Japan" logo, I suspect that the K model probably isn't made there. Otherwise, why not put it on the dial? :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts