WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seiko SKX173 Malaysia Movement

Tags
seiko skx173
9K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  nepatriot 
#1 · (Edited)
I’m thinking to buy a Seiko SKX 173 watch on Amazon amzn.to/2giorKu. It’s made in Malaysia. I have a few Seiko and they are made in Japan. I’m kind of skeptical and not sure if the one that made in Malaysia are the same reliable as the one that made in Japan. Does anybody know anything about this watch?

#2 · (Edited)
There are plenty of threads about this but what I gather is that the "Made in Japan" versions are identical to any other version. I have heard:

1) They come from the same plant in Malaysia but the J versions are supervised by some dude from Seiko corporate in Japan instead of a Malaysian dude.
2) They come from the same plant in Malaysia but the "Made in Japan" versions are for countries that require or allow it be stated so.

The second possibility conflates the "Made in..." declaration with the J and K model numbers and we could argue they are one in the same. Either way, there are other factors (seller, return policy, warranty, etc.) that are far more important than having it supposedly made in Japan.

#7 ·
I own one of these and think it's great. I use it as my field watch since it's able to take the abuse. Currently it's running at about +15 seconds per day without any adjustments or servicing. Plus (depending on where you live), if you look around enough you can find one for pretty cheap (less than 200 USD).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.