WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at this 7S26-0020. it's a rare one. I think the dial and hands are original. thought I would post some pics of a known 100% original and the one I'm looking at.

One on the left is the 100% original One on the right is the one I'm considering purchasing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
easily my favourite seiko diver

its a shame the 399 & 401 are Philippine market models

i've got a few 399s but have yet to find the 401

my advice is to ask if the dial is blemish/scratch free & the lume still glows

also make sure movement has roman day wheel, if it has a spanish/arab/kanji day wheel then chances are good thats not its original movement

i've returned atleast three 399s due to ****ty dial conition

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
easily my favourite seiko diver

its a shame the 399 & 401 are Philippine market models

i've got a few 399s but have yet to find the 401

my advice is to ask if the dial is blemish/scratch free & the lume still glows

also make sure movement has roman day wheel, if it has a spanish/arab/kanji day wheel then chances are good thats not its original movement

i've returned atleast three 399s due to ****ty dial conition
On the contrary, the day wheel with Kanji characters are most original if not EDM ones made in Japan. I regret my SKX 007 has combined English & foreign languages. I should have asked for the Kanji day wheel in the first instant. BTW, my Pepsi diver with 6309 original movement has English/ Arab language combined. Reason for the combo is meant for overseas market - not necessarily meant 'NOT' original.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've seen some used examples of the SKX399 with the faded "Diver's 200m" lettering. the SKX399 used to be sold right next to the SKX007 and at the same price. however, that's no true nowadays. I got mine new around 3 years ago and had to ask the proprietor of the watch store if he had it. Tried sourcing the 401 myself and couldn't find one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is something I don't understand about the standard black bezel insert SKX399 and the pepsi version insert SKX401 The only way it seems to know which one you have is by the bezel ring. There are no numbers on the watch to tell you what you have other then the bezel.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Here is something I don't understand about the standard black bezel insert SKX399 and the pepsi version insert SKX401 The only way it seems to know which one you have is by the bezel ring. There are no numbers on the watch to tell you what you have other then the bezel.
That is because the catalog number of the watch; ie SKX399 or SKX401 describes the complete package.

The case back numbers only tell you about the case that is in use and the calibre of the movement. The dial printing only tells you what dial is in use.
So, SKX399 tells you that the watch has the usual SKX case and that it also has the 7s26 movement and the black insert bezel. The SKX401 tells you that the watch also has the usual SKX case but has the pepsi bezel insert.

Pretty simple; no ...well it confuses many :-d

·
Registered
165 Posts
telling the 399 & 401 apart wont be easy, especially if seller posts crappy pics

bear in mind the 399 has a black dial like the 007/173

whereas the 401 has a dark blue dial like 009

·
Registered
279 Posts

my 401 & 399 from ebay, on Toshistrap
domed saphir on the 399
I had to change the 7S26 which don't working well

I love these watches :p

good luck, there's a guy on ebay that purchases skx399 to Watchcooking to sell more expensive after...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it would be a good one to add to the collection. I've seen prices for this watch as high as $300.00 that is asking price.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nico that 401 you got is sweet
please remember me fondly if you ever sell her

i love the 399, this ones meant to be my beater

installed custom hands,
display caseback,
DLC engineer bracelet,
yada yada yada

1 - 11 of 11 Posts