WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Once I became interested in watches, in particular divers, I soon developed a longing for a yellow dial diver. Can't explain it but yellow has always been one of my favorite colors. As no surprise, the SKXA35 was of interest but I always balked because I just couldn't rationalize the $30-50 premium this watch commanded over a standard SKX007. No doubt part of the price differential is due to the A35 being strictly a US model. Still, I couldn't see paying that much more just to get a yellow dial SKX. I tried a couple of other options but never quite satisfied.

A few weeks ago, an SKXA35 popped up on ebay at a good discount in what I would call a "scratch 'n dent" sale from a dealer I have done business with previously. It was either a return or display case sample that had some very minor scratches on the case side. Because I knew the dealer and there was a 30 day return period, I jumped on it. After receiving and closely examining, glad I made the purchase. I am very pleased with the watch. The scratches are minimal and barely noticeable unless you look very hard. I figure after wearing a few times, I will add far more dings/scratches that it has now.

I'm not going to go through a detailed review of the watch. As most everyone knows, it is quite simply a SKX variation with the 7S26 movement. You can find plenty of information on the web. It is just about the perfect shade of yellow. The only criticism, as others have noted, is the minute/hour hands should be outlined in black instead of the polished stainless; and, the second hand shold be all black with the "popsicle" end outlined.

The reason for this post, aside from showing off my new watch, is I wanted to get opinions on different straps and bracelets that I currently have. The watch comes on the stock Z22 black rubber strap that is slightly different from the vented wave strap on the SKX007. It is your typical black rubber dive watch strap, a little subdued due to the flat vent, that is all business and ready for work.

On a whim, I picked up a yellow wave vent strap off ebay for under $5. I'm not a connoisseur of rubber straps, generally prefer bracelet, but quality seems OK though not as nice as the Seiko OEM. The combination yellow dial and strap is definitely on the bold side. I don't know about wearing during the winter but I'm thinking it will look pretty good as my tan deepens this summer. Another question some may have is whether it is suitable for a "senior" citizen...me. My thoughts are it just confirms that I still have "attitude", even if I do have gray hair! Be advised that the stock Seiko fat spring bars do not work (at least not easily) with this strap. The inner diameter of the holes in the end pieces are too narrow. Fortunately I had some special 1.8mm spring bars with the fat lug tip to make a secure and non-damaging connection.

The last option is a Seiko jubilee that I have on hand for a customization project. There are two variations of the Seiko jubilee: this is the nicer one (Part 44G1ZZ) with solid outer and center links while the two adjacent to the center are folded. It seems to be fashionable by many to talk the Seiko jubilee down but I think that is unfair. It is a more than decent reasonably priced bracelet (around $30) with curved fitted ends that compliments a SKX watch quite well. It certainly provides a visual "pop" to the SKXA35 where it now walks the line between sporty and dressy at the same time. It looks much better than I expected.

On a side note, the jubilee customization project is to slightly grind down the end pieces and fit to a Citizen BN0151-09L and possibly a Citizen NY0040-09W (see my other thread in this forum...shameless promoting https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/citizen-ny0040-09w-luminous-dial-diver-you-may-not-know-you-want-one-yet-2933962.html).

Hope you enjoy the read and the pics. Also, would welcome comments and photos of what you have done with your SKXA35 (or other yellow diver)!

Stock Z22

01 IMG_1062.JPG
02 IMG_1061.JPG

3rd party yellow wave

03 IMG_1068.JPG
04 IMG_1065.JPG

Seiko 44G1ZZ

05 IMG_1072.JPG
06 IMG_1073.JPG
07 IMG_1074.JPG
08 IMG_1076.JPG

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I prefer my SXKA35 on a black NATO... it is a great watch, I have had mine sine January (i think??) got it on clearance pricing from Sears for $145~ish at the time..

when i went to the Central Coast on Vacation recently I wore my SKXA35 (only took this watch). It is a great summer / vacation watch I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Great topic.
I bought a modified one precisely because of the hands: as you can see, mine has the more attractive black bordered hands. As for bands, the stock black one is hard, more like plastic than rubber:
I didn't wear it with that strap for very long.

Next I tried a soft leather strap. I think it works well with the yellow dial and black bezel, although is easily stained by colored frosting and sugar, etc.

Most recently, I have switched to a very nice Borealis rubber strap. It's comfortable, well proportioned, the fat seiko spring bars fit, and it cleans up nicely after snacks. Highly recommended.

Re. your yellow strap: I hate it. It distracts from, obfuscates and demeans an otherwise beautiful and classic watch. It reminds me of Patches the Clown- before he ended up on FBIs most wanted list. Please take it out back and cut it up into little strips of silicone and leave it for the crows to use for nest construction. Or give it to your golden retriever puppy as a chew toy.
Other than that, great pics, sir.

---•••---•••---•••---•••---•••---
Time is Relative.

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
I've been on the fence about this one for a while. Still not sure if I like the square markers. circle markers of the 007 009 looks more pleasing to the eye

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Re. your yellow strap: I hate it. It distracts from, obfuscates and demeans an otherwise beautiful and classic watch. It reminds me of Patches the Clown- before he ended up on FBIs most wanted list. Please take it out back and cut it up into little strips of silicone and leave it for the crows to use for nest construction. Or give it to your golden retriever puppy as a chew toy.
Other than that, great pics, sir.
Well, thank you for sharing. BTW, don't believe I've ever seen a dive watch used as an accent piece for pastry. I hope it doesn't distract, obfuscate or demean the beautiful and classic baked goods. Really liked the way you worked it into the scalloped edges of the partially consumed apple fritter. Do you have any snaps with Poppin' Fresh, the Pillsbury Doughboy?

Gifted my SKX007 to my son years ago and missed it ever since. Recently remedied the situation with a SKXA35 and love it best with the Jubilee.

Your yellow wave is perfection mated to the A35, don't know if I could pull it off but would love to give it a go, mind sharing where they can be found ?
I'm not sure I can pull it off either but I'm gonna try. I will have to be in the right state of mind! Here is a listing for same strap though price is now $6 or "Best Offer". 22mm Yellow Quality Thick Rubber Sport Diver Watch Strap Band WR706 New | eBay

I love the square markers which harken back to the 6105 dial.

And for the record, I prefer the jubilee bracelet option (although a black or dark navy NATO strap with yellow stripes would look real nice as well).
The square markers don't bother me at all. In fact, they grow on you. I also have SKX009 and SKX173, like both...how can you not? The watch is just a classic. I feel either style embodies the gestalt (whoa...haven't used that word in many years) of the Seiko diver.

BTW, of the three posted, I like the Jubilee best. IMO, it builds upon why the SKX is such a timeless classic. If you look at the polishing and contours of the case which is crowned with the double row knurling of the bezel, the watch also walks the line between sporty and tool watch, giving it that "X" factor.

·
Registered
22,137 Posts
Once I became interested in watches, in particular divers, I soon developed a longing for a yellow dial diver. Can't explain it but yellow has always been one of my favorite colors. As no surprise, the SKXA35 was of interest but I always balked because I just couldn't rationalize the $30-50 premium this watch commanded over a standard SKX007. No doubt part of the price differential is due to the A35 being strictly a US model. Still, I couldn't see paying that much more just to get a yellow dial SKX. I tried a couple of other options but never quite satisfied.

A few weeks ago, an SKXA35 popped up on ebay at a good discount in what I would call a "scratch 'n dent" sale from a dealer I have done business with previously. It was either a return or display case sample that had some very minor scratches on the case side. Because I knew the dealer and there was a 30 day return period, I jumped on it. After receiving and closely examining, glad I made the purchase. I am very pleased with the watch. The scratches are minimal and barely noticeable unless you look very hard. I figure after wearing a few times, I will add far more dings/scratches that it has now.

I'm not going to go through a detailed review of the watch. As most everyone knows, it is quite simply a SKX variation with the 7S26 movement. You can find plenty of information on the web. It is just about the perfect shade of yellow. The only criticism, as others have noted, is the minute/hour hands should be outlined in black instead of the polished stainless; and, the second hand shold be all black with the "popsicle" end outlined.

The reason for this post, aside from showing off my new watch, is I wanted to get opinions on different straps and bracelets that I currently have. The watch comes on the stock Z22 black rubber strap that is slightly different from the vented wave strap on the SKX007. It is your typical black rubber dive watch strap, a little subdued due to the flat vent, that is all business and ready for work.

On a whim, I picked up a yellow wave vent strap off ebay for under $5. I'm not a connoisseur of rubber straps, generally prefer bracelet, but quality seems OK though not as nice as the Seiko OEM. The combination yellow dial and strap is definitely on the bold side. I don't know about wearing during the winter but I'm thinking it will look pretty good as my tan deepens this summer. Another question some may have is whether it is suitable for a "senior" citizen...me. My thoughts are it just confirms that I still have "attitude", even if I do have gray hair! Be advised that the stock Seiko fat spring bars do not work (at least not easily) with this strap. The inner diameter of the holes in the end pieces are too narrow. Fortunately I had some special 1.8mm spring bars with the fat lug tip to make a secure and non-damaging connection.

The last option is a Seiko jubilee that I have on hand for a customization project. There are two variations of the Seiko jubilee: this is the nicer one (Part 44G1ZZ) with solid outer and center links while the two adjacent to the center are folded. It seems to be fashionable by many to talk the Seiko jubilee down but I think that is unfair. It is a more than decent reasonably priced bracelet (around $30) with curved fitted ends that compliments a SKX watch quite well. It certainly provides a visual "pop" to the SKXA35 where it now walks the line between sporty and dressy at the same time. It looks much better than I expected.

On a side note, the jubilee customization project is to slightly grind down the end pieces and fit to a Citizen BN0151-09L and possibly a Citizen NY0040-09W (see my other thread in this forum...shameless promoting https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/citizen-ny0040-09w-luminous-dial-diver-you-may-not-know-you-want-one-yet-2933962.html).

Hope you enjoy the read and the pics. Also, would welcome comments and photos of what you have done with your SKXA35 (or other yellow diver)!

Stock Z22

View attachment 8287578
View attachment 8287586

3rd party yellow wave

View attachment 8287618
View attachment 8287626

Seiko 44G1ZZ

View attachment 8287642
View attachment 8287658
View attachment 8287666
View attachment 8287674
I've had a 173 for 18 years and have considered this one many times as I really like it. Flat vent look is classic imo, and the jubilee looks good as well. I've seen pictures of this watch on a Super President/Endmill bracelet that looks great. Can't go wrong with a black nato, or even this one for a great summer combo.

·
Banned
952 Posts
As soon as mine got delivered...I yanked that horrid "rubber" band off and slapped a Clockwork Synergy silicone band on mine. I prefer the square markers vs the circles and corn dogs. I'm on the look out for a 173 now because of that.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Thanks for the link MacInFl. Briefly tried a blue M22, wasn't bad but I quickly returned to the Jubilee. Along with an orange Monster the a35 is a summer watch for me and the Jubilee is one of the most comfortable bracelets on triple H days. (hot hazy humid)

SDC12633.JPG SDC12539.JPG

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
The Jubliee bracelet hands down. I think it gives the watch a timeless classic look to it and the jubilee is one of the most comfortable bracelets ever made - just hugs your wrist without binding.

Never liked the Z22 straps or the stock rubber the watch comes with.

Seiko shoud reissue the SKXA35 with the new 4R36 movement (handwinding & hacking) and update the hands - agree about black outline for the hands. Then it would be perfect!

I've owned two but found the lack of handwinding feature annoying.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I don't have too much to add regarding straps and all that. I wore mine on the stock strap and didn't mind it one bit. I found mine in a pawn shop for $100 and bought it without hesitation knowing what it was. I wore it happily but finally succumbed to the lure of resale, which I did, doubling my money. But I missed it of course, and bought a Yellow Bernhardt Binnacle Diver trying to get that feeling back. It just wasn't the same. I shoulda never sold that watch.

·
Registered
728 Posts
StrapCode makes bracelets with oem style endlugs right? I think their Super Engineer II would look great.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
This watch was made for the jubilee. Although, I did wear mine on tan leather shortly. Ended up selling the A35 because it only seemed pertinent in the brief NY summer. I miss it sometimes.

·
Registered
Tissot PR 516 GL, Sea-Gull 1963, Seiko SKXA35, Seiko Cocktail Time, Vostok Komandirskie
2,765 Posts
Thank god for the search feature at WUS. I was just about to post in the Seiko forum about this very topic... SKXA35 and the jubilee / super jubilee bracelet. I am a Seiko diver newbie, so although I've heard plenty about the wonders of the 007, I never realized the A35 is the exact same watch with a different dial. Personally, I am in the camp of loving the square markers and hating the corn dogs, otherwise I'd probably already own a 007.

So just to be clear, I can get any 007 jubilee or super jubilee and it will fit perfectly on the SKXA35? How small can you size down a jubilee? 6" wrist here.

·
Registered
Tissot PR 516 GL, Sea-Gull 1963, Seiko SKXA35, Seiko Cocktail Time, Vostok Komandirskie
2,765 Posts
PS, I had a chance to handle one of these yesterday in a retail store (charging $337.50, hahaha) and was surprised by the polish on the hands/markers and also the polished elements of the case. Wish it were more matte all around, still it's a gorgeous watch and I must have one.

There's a good one on f29 right now, but without a jubilee.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
OP: I'm in my 40s and wouldn't be comfortable wearing the yellow rubber strap. It's not so much that it's too youthful, it just reminds me too much of the yellow rubber strap on my female friend's fashion watch.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OP: I'm in my 40s and wouldn't be comfortable wearing the yellow rubber strap. It's not so much that it's too youthful, it just reminds me too much of the yellow rubber strap on my female friend's fashion watch.
Maybe I should disclose that I have no problem wearing pink pique polo shirts, either. BTW, married for 37 years, two grown sons... my masculinity is not in question... harrumph

1 - 20 of 33 Posts