WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I got the Tuna bug, I have had an affinity for the Emperor Tunas. The first one I acquired was the SBDX014. That one was followed by the SBDX011, and then the SBDX016.

Now the SLA041 55th Anniversary is released, and after reviewing all the pics I could on WUS, I was sure I wanted one. I was fortunate to be able to locate one in Texas that I could see in person.

The instant I saw it....It looked perfect! The shape of the hands, the symmetry of the lume plots, and that bezel! Much different than the bezels on the other Emperor Tunas. The crisp shiny numerals provide a refined look to the new Tuna.

Upon closer examination there are a few details that may not be apparent from the pictures:

• The flat crystal is slightly lower (below the top of the bezel insert) than the other ETs. This causes the dial to appear deeper.
  • The bezel insert sits slightly proud of the bezel, similar to a MM300. This should reduce the risk of dinging the very thin inner bezel ring (that surrounds the crystal) that is on the other ET’s.
  • The hour and minute hands are brushed silver, but retain quite a bit of reflectivity (similar to the Golden Tuna re-issue, but without the rainbow effect). The seconds hand is polished silver.
  • The dial appears to be the same shade of blue as an SKX009. The chapter ring is black (also like the 009). The lettering is silver (not white) as well as the minute track on the chapter ring.
  • The strap is a smooth, slightly stiffer material with brushed silver hardware. The crown is unsigned...no X anywhere!
  • The lume of the hands and plots appear to match in color

Overall I am really pleased with this Tuna offering from Seiko. It is a beautiful instrument and stands out when compared to other Emperor Tunas.

·
Premium Member
8,506 Posts
Congrats on your newest acquisition. And, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your initial impressions and observations. Enjoy your latest Tuna to your collection. (y):)

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Nice article AFX. Always pleased to know your perspective on things. The SLA041 sure looks like a great Tuna - for now I will stick with my 6159-7010 though, fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Archangel FX

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice article AFX. Always pleased to know your perspective on things. The SLA041 sure looks like a great Tuna - for now I will stick with my 6159-7010 though, fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GTR - thank you...... You can’t beat the original!! And a great example of it you have, I might add!

·
Premium Member
9,470 Posts
Absolutely fantastic
I checked last night to see if my nearest serious Seiko AD had it in yet - but they dont - still (on order)
as a Tuna fan I am very keen to see this and hopefully acquire one - but want to see it in the metal
very clean photos and great insight into some details
I particularly like the new (lacquered aluminium?) bezel - which I hadnt registered in the stock photos
Its the best looking of all the Tunas IMHO

IMG_7432.jpeg

·
Premium Member
9,470 Posts
Incredible piece, that one. Masterwork of engineering and Emperor of Emperor Tunas. Emperor of all Tunas for that matter. This watch is on another level.
yes - nice - "Emperor of emperors"

Reactions: Archangel FX

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
5 Day Update:
So far after 5 days it has gained 35 sec, so it’s averaging +7sec/day.....on wrist.
When measured on Hairspring, it is +4.1 (12 up), +4.9 (crown up), and +8.5 (Dial up).
Would you consider that good? Acceptable?

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Good... it’s 2nd best of 7, 8L movements that I have.
Brilliant. I have to admit to a skewed perspective as my two Spring Drives in rotation are better than +1 sec/3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Being spring drives it's almost a different level completely
Well yes, it's a different level because it's a different thing entirely. And, as good as SD is, it's not close to the 9F85. Five to ten seconds per year...now that's pretty darn good. And again, an entirely different beast.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts