WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

261 - 280 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks, that's helpful. I know what you mean, the classic styling, dial, new steel etc really tempt me with this watch despite the planet ocean being a stupendous watch with great movement. O just have a thing about an all brushed case and thinner bezel and the only other real watch like that would be a blancpain which is a lot more expensive.
My wrist is prob more like 6.75 inches so it's handy to see how it wears on you.
All good points. But I must correct myself. I think my wrist is closer to 7”

Additional observations/ considerations. The contours of the case sides disrupt the perceived thickness from a visual perspective. The raised sapphire also helps. Photos of the PO I’m looking at seem to depict a taller, slab side. It’s crystal also appears flush with the bezel. But reality may be different if the PO’s case back sinks into your wrist. It’s proportions may also make it “appear” taller on the wrist since the lug-to-lug is shorter. Here are a few more shots. I took the two overhead shots for a better a perspective that it doesn’t overhang.

Note - I swapped the thick rubber strap for an Erika’s Originals I had and find the fit much better under my cuff. I have a black tropic strap on order.

·
Registered
477 Posts
All good points. But I must correct myself. I think my wrist is closer to 7”

Additional observations/ considerations. The contours of the case sides disrupt the perceived thickness from a visual perspective. The raised sapphire also helps. Photos of the PO I’m looking at seem to depict a taller, slab side. It’s crystal also appears flush with the bezel. But reality may be different if the PO’s case back sinks into your wrist. It’s proportions may also make it “appear” taller on the wrist since the lug-to-lug is shorter. Here are a few more shots. I took the two overhead shots for a better a perspective that it doesn’t overhang.

Note - I swapped the thick rubber strap for an Erika’s Originals I had and find the fit much better under my cuff. I have a black tropic strap on order.

Cheers, looks good. The lugs on these watches are quite brutal compared to omegas I think. I forgot to mention I have had an spb149 before (loved the style but it just didn't have that extra quality) and that fit ok. I am assuming this wears very similar.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The only weakness I find is the accuracy of the movement. Though it's a hand assembled quality movement, yet unregulated out of the box. I'm getting consistently +8 spd in all positions. It can be very accurately regulated but Seiko just don't care...
Agreed. I get about +3spd if I wear it during the day, and rest it (3 up) for about 10 hours at night. +8spd if I wear it all the time. I'm slowly coming around to realizing this isn't quartz ;-) And I don't want to be that guy wearing another Tudor or Rolex or Oris or ...... (not that anybody ever notices anyway).

Reactions: Davidtan and Pun

·
Premium Member
7,026 Posts
So, I know my SLA039 has 19mm lugs, but understood that the SLA043 had 20mm lugs?

if so, what’s with all the 19mm references?

·
Premium Member
7,026 Posts
I went ahead and ordered it! Arrives this week. Anyone know if I can squeeze a 20mm tropic strap on it? I mistakenly ordered one from Rubber B (B2 straps) not realizing it is a 19mm.
again, as noted above, doesn’t this piece have 20mm lugs?

·
Registered
273 Posts
The only weakness I find is the accuracy of the movement. Though it's a hand assembled quality movement, yet unregulated out of the box. I'm getting consistently +8 spd in all positions. It can be very accurately regulated but Seiko just don't care...
Yup, can't really argue with a movement without adjustment, 8L35 was widely use on all higher end seiko, proven robust and lasting, plus newer 8L35B finishing are nicer compare to A.

Mine getting +7 sec per day when i first got it, after a week become +6sec significantly improved after "burn-in".

Fair comparison of 8L35 should be ETA/sellita undecorate+unadjustment movement

·
Registered
273 Posts
I currently have a seamaster (previous version with black ceramic bezel and black dial) in the mid size. It is a really lovely watch which is well made and runs within a second a day. However, I just find it a little fussy and the simple design of the seiko appeals to me. The domed sapphire is what appeals to me as well. It seems like you have no regrets and prefer the seiko!
Yes no regrets at all, for size, design, and most importantly the finishing. Still waiting for the day GS making 40mm diver watch nor i'll stick with this for long period

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ordered one....waiting begins
Same. Just a little worried that it will be a little large. The dealer has said that if I don't like the for I can send it back free of charge though.

I have specific requirements of sub 40mm, all brushed case, slim bezel, nice quality and preferably a slight sunburst dial.

The only watches I can think that achieve this are this one or the Blancpain Bathyscaphe which is much more expensive

·
Premium Member
7,026 Posts
Same. Just a little worried that it will be a little large. The dealer has said that if I don't like the for I can send it back free of charge though.

I have specific requirements of sub 40mm, all brushed case, slim bezel, nice quality and preferably a slight sunburst dial.

The only watches I can think that achieve this are this one or the Blancpain Bathyscaphe which is much more expensive
.....whereas I am hoping it’s not to small!
I am a big boy, 6’5, 230lbs, with a flatish 7.5” wrist.....I usually go 42mm and up.....but after being away from Seiko for a while, my recently acquired SLA039 and SNR045 have reignited my love of Seiko!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I am a big boy, 6’5, 230lbs, with a flatish 7.5” wrist.....I usually go 42mm and up.....but after being away from Seiko for a while, my recently acquired SLA039 and SNR045 have reignited my love of Seiko!
An inch makes all the difference.....in the realm of wrist size. Good luck mate, look forward to the photos.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't think the size will be an issue. I have 21cm ( 8.25 ") wrists and the size is just fine in my eyes.

I think you have or had a MRG, if memory serves me...for size comparison

The 043 is just a great watch

·
Premium Member
7,026 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ok mine has come. First impressions are very positive in that it is sparkly, solidly built and the design is just classic and beautiful. It cannot even be compared to the spbs on any level.

Positives:
That steel is very nice and I really like the brushing all over. I like the look of zaratsu...the practicalities not so much.
The slim bezel, font and overall look of the bezel is very nice.
I am pleasantly surprised by the dial. It is surprisingly rich and plays nicely with the light. It is a perfect blue for a dive watch.
I am also pleasantly surprised by the size. This is a chunky watch in many ways, but it wears really nicely for a sporty diver on my wrist.
The box sapphire is just a thing of beauty.

Potential negatives:
The lume application isn't great. There is a lot of lume as the indices are large. It's not terrible, it's just not as consistent as say a seamaster. Not sure if this is deal-breaker. How do others feel about this?
The bezel is slightly misaligned. The lume circle at the top doesn't quite line up with the chapter ring. To be fair it didn't quite on a seamaster I had either. Would people be bothered by this or not?
The box sapphire seems very, and I mean really a tiny amount higher on one side. Again thoughts on this?

I'm surprised at how in person the blue second hand doesn't bother me and in fact, I actually quite like it. The finish is really beautiful and as others have said, right up there. Just looking at those distortions caused by the sapphire....it's something else.

·
Registered
273 Posts
congrats on the purchase!
I'm surprised at how in person the blue second hand doesn't bother me and in fact, I actually quite like it. The finish is really beautiful and as others have said, right up there. Just looking at those distortions caused by the sapphire....it's something else.
Congrats on the acquisition, the ocean blue second hand is pretty unique in the sense by far never came across any Seiko using them

·
Registered
477 Posts
What do people think about the lume application? Is it just because the indices are so huge? I have taken a picture that really highlights the lumpiness of the application. It doesn't really seem this bad and you have to look close but what does everyone think? Is this acceptable and just put down to a hand applied retro feel or something for warranty/return? Omegas have perfect little pearls of lume.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
What do people think about the lume application? Is it just because the indices are so huge? I have taken a picture that really highlights the lumpiness of the application. It doesn't really seem this bad and you have to look close but what does everyone think? Is this acceptable and just put down to a hand applied retro feel or something for warranty/return? Omegas have perfect little pearls of lume.

View attachment 15875668
I sent my first one back for exactly the same issue, the second one that I received is also affected in the same way but to a lesser extent. I'm always drawn to images that people post to see if others are the same and more often than not they are, it seems to be an issue with all of these 62MAS SLA reissues. I find it annoying especially as the cheap rip-off 62MAS style watches by SteelDive and alike have perfect lume application, this just seems to be another Seikoism that you have to learn to live with or simply never own another Seiko again, as we all know that the perfect Seiko is a bit of a unicorn.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Luckily mine appears to be okay.

I sent my first one back for exactly the same issue, the second one that I received is also affected in the same way but to a lesser extent. I'm always drawn to images that people post to see if others are the same and more often than not they are, it seems to be an issue with all of these 62MAS SLA reissues. I find it annoying especially as the cheap rip-off 62MAS style watches by SteelDive and alike have perfect lume application, this just seems to be another Seikoism that you have to learn to live with or simply never own another Seiko again, as we all know that the perfect Seiko is a bit of a unicorn.

261 - 280 of 366 Posts