WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

281 - 300 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just a lovely watch, this one. If any of you ever decide to part with yours, I’ll be first in line to upgrade from my SPB077!
Funnily enough, i have both the omega and the seiko in front of me. Only one will be staying, which one is the question! They are both very, very high quality with some pluses and minuses going each way. To be fair to the seiko, the lume is the only real point of difference in quality (movement accuracy remains to be seen but initial impressions are good). These are such quality watches, it's going to be hard to decide.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Funnily enough, i have both the omega and the seiko in front of me. Only one will be staying, which one is the question! They are both very, very high quality with some pluses and minuses going each way. To be fair to the seiko, the lume is the only real point of difference in quality (movement accuracy remains to be seen but initial impressions are good). These are such quality watches, it's going to be hard to decide.
View attachment 15875905
Oh I don’t doubt the overall quality for one second. I actually erased that entire post about the Seamaster vs SLA043 because I am not an SLA043 owner and didn’t want to sound like an Omega fanboi. It was a very difficult decision between the two especially as Seiko divers were my first foray into watches and overall I love them.

I really wanted to get this or the SLA037 but ultimately my prior experience with Seiko QC issues, and multiple posts from SLA043 owners with the same bezel/lume fill issues scared me off. I’ll admit I’m more neurotic than most. Ultimately I went with the new SMP300 but I will continue to admire these 62MAS reissues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
Oh I don’t doubt the overall quality for one second. I actually erased that entire post about the Seamaster vs SLA043 because I am not an SLA043 owner and didn’t want to sound like an Omega fanboi. It was a very difficult decision between the two especially as Seiko divers were my first foray into watches and overall I love them.

I really wanted to get this or the SLA037 but ultimately my prior experience with Seiko QC issues, and multiple posts from SLA043 owners with the same bezel/lume fill issues scared me off. I’ll admit I’m more neurotic than most. Ultimately I went with the new SMP300 but I will continue to admire these 62MAS reissues.

Don't worry, I wasn't accusing you of being a fanboy. Most of us adults can enjoy multiple brands including their pluses and negatives. Omegas are fairly flawless in my experience. If seiko can just get their QC up to scratch then they would be on fire. Same with their regulation. I've had bad experiences with 6r movements that I just can't tolerate them anymore. Seiko do have a bit of magic though. The dial on this thing is fire. I thought it looked a little fake and cheap in photos, but in person it has such a beautiful richness. That bezel as well. Just have to decide if I can live with the lume plots!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I sent my first one back for exactly the same issue, the second one that I received is also affected in the same way but to a lesser extent. I'm always drawn to images that people post to see if others are the same and more often than not they are, it seems to be an issue with all of these 62MAS SLA reissues. I find it annoying especially as the cheap rip-off 62MAS style watches by SteelDive and alike have perfect lume application, this just seems to be another Seikoism that you have to learn to live with or simply never own another Seiko again, as we all know that the perfect Seiko is a bit of a unicorn.
Thanks. I don't know if that's heartening or not! From most angles you wouldn't even know. Do I put it down to a bit of charismatic uniqueness and hand finishing or annoying lacklustre imperfection. That is the question.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
When I buy a mechanical watch, I don't buy it for it's accuracy or perfection. I buy it if I find it beautiful and if wearing it brings smile on my face. I used to be an OCD for perfection in my watches till some time back. Now after 15 years into this hobby I realized that their imperfections hold their unique beauty, like an object of art. Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I buy a mechanical watch, I don't buy it for it's accuracy or perfection. I buy it if I find it beautiful and if wearing it brings smile on my face. I used to be an OCD for perfection in my watches till some time back. Now after 15 years into this hobby I realized that their imperfections hold their unique beauty, like an object of art. Just my 2 cents....
That is certainly an admirable and wise perspective, but 15 years!? I’m only two years in... god willing I will find your level of watch zen sooner than later. I’d really like to buy another Seiko before 2036 and be able to see the off-center lume pip as beautiful. Why am I like this.

·
Premium Member
7,026 Posts
Well, my SLA043 adventure has begun.....

.....after ordering, my dealer advised me, on pre-shipping inspection, that the one they had in stock had a misaligned chapter ring.....no, really?....so they are waiting for a new one form the mothership, that they should get my this Friday.......then off to me!

.....as long as that one lines up!

·
Registered
477 Posts

.....after ordering, my dealer advised me, on pre-shipping inspection, that the one they had in stock had a misaligned chapter ring.....no, really?....so they are waiting for a new one form the mothership, that they should get my this Friday.......then off to me!

[/QUOT

Just checked mine and the indices and slap bang in the middle of the outer markings. Fingers crossed you get yours sorted! Seiko lottery.

·
Premium Member
7,026 Posts
Just checked mine and the indices and slap bang in the middle of the outer markings. Fingers crossed you get yours sorted! Seiko lottery.
shipped - my AD assures me it’s perfectly aligned, and now on the way to me!

Reactions: woodruffm

·
Registered
159 Posts
Only my two cents ... but I have both as well. Not getting rid of the SMP because I've had it so long BUT there's a bazillion of them out there. The only watch someone has actually taken the time to notice and comment (more than once!) is the SLA043.

Reactions: TuckandRoll

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi all. I also posted in the watch strap forum, but maybe y’all know the answer. I picked up a 20mm B2 rubber tropic strap based on the forum feedback that many 20mm straps will fit. I think the B2 will work, but it takes skinny spring bars. Seiko, however, designed the SLA043 and straps with fat spring bars. Has anyone had any problems using the skinnier bars —will they damage the lugs or fail from the less snug fit? Or has anyone found a 19mm “skinny fat” bar? The only ones I found online were 20mm.

·
Premium Member
7,026 Posts
Hi all. I also posted in the watch strap forum, but maybe y’all know the answer. I picked up a 20mm B2 rubber tropic strap based on the forum feedback that many 20mm straps will fit. I think the B2 will work, but it takes skinny spring bars. Seiko, however, designed the SLA043 and straps with fat spring bars. Has anyone had any problems using the skinnier bars —will they damage the lugs or fail from the less snug fit? Or has anyone found a 19mm “skinny fat” bar? The only ones I found online were 20mm.
Hi, still waiting on my SLA043, but my SLA039 has 19mm lugs, and I use 20mm ISO and leather straps WITH the Seiko spring bars.....

All you need is to run the Seiko bars under a hot tap for 30 seconds, and they slide in.....to remove them, some careful pushing with a Phillips head screw driver.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
That’s a good thought, but this particular rubber strap seems too delicate to hold up under the strain of a much larger bar. Especially in the area where it accommodates a quick release mechanism. But maybe I can heat it up or use a lubricant to make it fit.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
I ordered some 19mm Seiko spring bars from Uncle Seiko, with a bit of hand soap applied they slide easily through the standard holes on a 20mm Watch Gecko tropic, whether this would be the case with the sail cloth strap I wouldn't like to say.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cappyab

·
Registered
477 Posts
I ordered some 19mm Seiko spring bars from Uncle Seiko, with a bit of hand soap applied they slide easily through the standard holes on a 20mm Watch Gecko tropic, whether this would be the case with the sail cloth strap I wouldn't like to say.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
To answer my own question, the strap arrived this morning. It was a very, very tight fit, but after a bit of manipulation, I have got the spring bars through. Lovely strap but requires a bit of breaking in.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Only my two cents ... but I have both as well. Not getting rid of the SMP because I've had it so long BUT there's a bazillion of them out there. The only watch someone has actually taken the time to notice and comment (more than once!) is the SLA043.
I think I've made up my mind. I would like to keep both but I like a small and nicely formed collecting and don't need two divers so I think the sla will be staying!

Enjoying the sailcloth look.

281 - 300 of 366 Posts