WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36,300 Posts
The stock photo is awful, sure hope the watch looks a lot better on the wrist.

This shot isn’t much better, maybe the watch really is that weird looking.

Anybody have a decent real-world photo?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The stock photo is awful, sure hope the watch looks a lot better on the wrist.

This shot isn’t much better, maybe the watch really is that weird looking.

[Image removed from quote.]

Anybody have a decent real-world photo?
The stock photo is the perspective you get when you use a wide angle lens close to an object. It's not the same as the human eye.

Diameter: ~42mm
Dial diameter: ~30mm
Bracelet tapers from head to 18mm at clasp.

The SLT081 was made about 20 years ago. Its size and style reflect that and were derived directly from Seiko's popular upscale Arctura kinetic collection from that era.

Seiko Arctura Kinetics from same era:

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,328 Posts
Courtesy of flu. Not a bad watch for the collection, 20s/year and GMT.
That's one of many models in the long running SLT series that used the 8f56 movement. Yes 20 seconds per year accuracy, GMT hand, independently adjustable 12 hour hand, perpetual calendar and 10 year battery life made it quite a movement. Post some real life shots when you get a chance.

Your watch is part of a long line of reasonably priced GMT designs including the SLT047 Sportura.
10929636_3a381e7d-4986-42d7-ba5f-595b586eaf94_500_500.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's one of many models in the long running SLT series that used the 8f56 movement. Yes 20 seconds per year accuracy, GMT hand, independently adjustable 12 hour hand, perpetual calendar and 10 year battery life made it quite a movement. Post some real life shots when you get a chance.

Your watch is part of a long line of reasonably priced GMT designs including the SLT047 Sportura.
View attachment 13139493
The photos I posted above are of my SLT081. The one downside of this model is its hardlex versus sapphire crystal. Used ones have often been abused by now from sheer age, having been handed off to those who use them as cheap quartz beaters, and have severely scratched and scraped up date magnifiers. Not an uncommon fate for two decade old quartz watches. They're considered junk watches by most folks who have no idea what they've got in their hands. It's yet another old junk quartz Seiko suitable for nothing more than garage sale tables. If I can find a SLT047 in decent condition at decent price I'll snag one. I have a soft spot for these excellent SLT and SLL perpetuals. Finding one now, especially an "SLT" GMT (versus SLL 3-hand) in LNIB or very nearly so condition is difficult and when you do, they're quite expensive.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finding one now, especially an "SLT" GMT (versus SLL 3-hand) in LNIB or very nearly so condition is difficult and when you do, they're quite expensive.
Yes, I was shocked to see a price of $40. Even in Japan minimum prices start at a few hundred plus.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
-
Yes, I was shocked to see a price of $40. Even in Japan minimum prices start at a few hundred plus.
For that price it is OK though I would not buy it as there could be better options (for higher price) within the Seiko 8F family. Long time ago I purchased one brand new with the 8F32 movement (Seiko SLL163P1). That watch was made in Japan (not only the movement but the whole)! The other very important aspect that it had sapphire crystal and 100m WR! That watch was a beauty but I sold it as it had performed nowhere near to the claimed accuracy...

Attachments

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,328 Posts
The photos I posted above are of my SLT081. The one downside of this model is its hardlex versus sapphire crystal. Used ones have often been abused by now from sheer age, having been handed off to those who use them as cheap quartz beaters, and have severely scratched and scraped up date magnifiers. Not an uncommon fate for two decade old quartz watches. They're considered junk watches by most folks who have no idea what they've got in their hands. It's yet another old junk quartz Seiko suitable for nothing more than garage sale tables. If I can find a SLT047 in decent condition at decent price I'll snag one. I have a soft spot for these excellent SLT and SLL perpetuals. Finding one now, especially an "SLT" GMT (versus SLL 3-hand) in LNIB or very nearly so condition is difficult and when you do, they're quite expensive.
Yes I've seen some SLT models described as in new condition that were offered for $500 and more. As I recall they went unsold for several months. If there is a downside to those watches it is the fiddly process to reset the calendar after a battery change.

I enjoyed an SLT015 which was one of the early models for several years, but eventually moved it on.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The Seiko 8Fxx was a very interesting caliber with its claimed accuracy and the perpetual caliber. Unfortunately it is reported that a lot were off-spec and this leads me to think it is in the manufacturing process of the crystal. Another proof of its "reliability" is the fact that Seiko discontinued very soon the watches based on this caliber and the ones still selling were only to sell all the produced and still in stock calibers.

I was strongly looking for 2 specific models: the Alpinist SBCJ021 and the Diver SBCM023.

I've been unable to buy the first one because they asked too much for this watch (almost twice the street price). Moreover I've read that its titanium was very soft and very prone to scratches so eventually I've given up.

I've bought the second one but eventually I've sold it in a couple of months because it had very low quality (bracelet not very comfortable, poor accuracy, seconds hand misaligned and others).

The remaining 8Fxx models are all too fancy styled for me.

What a pity... a missed chance for Seiko...

As for the Citizen E510 (which has anyway nothing to do with this thread) it's still a mystery why Citizen discontinued it...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As for the Citizen E510 (which has anyway nothing to do with this thread) it's still a mystery why Citizen discontinued it...
I do apologise for expressing an opinion that you feel irrelevant. I shall endeavour to do better next time, and I look forward to getting my gold star, Sir.;-)

Oh, hold on a sec, I'm the OP! Doesn't that give me some leeway?:think:

At least we agree on one thing.:-!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I actually own one. I wanted to give any 8F56 watch a try, ended up with this one, just made most sense out of whatever was easily available at that time. Yup, enough Arctura vibe with its take-it-or-leave-it aesthetic. It hardly sees any wrist time these days and even though the 20 spy spec is only supposed to work with heavy wear, I still didn't expect it to be my least accurate quartz (talking about one order of magnitude here). Only a SBCM could tempt me these days, but the out-of-spec experience I have plus future serviceabilty issues IMHO don't make 8F watches a good proposition anymore.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The stock photo is the perspective you get when you use a wide angle lens close to an object. It's not the same as the human eye.

Diameter: ~42mm
Dial diameter: ~30mm
Bracelet tapers from head to 18mm at clasp.

The SLT081 was made about 20 years ago. Its size and style reflect that and were derived directly from Seiko's popular upscale Arctura kinetic collection from that era.
So, I bought one of these 'bad boys' when it was still listed at $51. It then dropped a couple of dollars more, then finally sold out.

They are actually 15 years old, made in the 2003, and they are definitely an acquired taste, similar to the 'Giugiaro'-style watches. Whereas I would neer put one of those on my wrist, this watch, I fell in love with it the moment I saw it, before I even knew what GMT and Perpetual Calendar complications were. It was a mere 2-3 weeks after I 'started' getting into the 'watch appreciation' hobby at the beginning of the new year. Then I saw the 'price tag' and thought, what a great deal on a Seiko...$58! Then I looked into GMT and Perpetual Calendar, and I was even more amazed. How could a Seiko go for under $60?!?!? Much less, a GMT and Perpetual Calendar! Thought they don;t make this movement anymore, look at the cost of their more recent Perpetual Calendar movments; they cost more than this watch does.

Well, I 'hemmed and hawed' for several weeks, then saw it had dropped again to $50.95, and I was like 'Okay, this sucker's gonna sell out fast. So I bought one and it's even more awesome in person.

It's also listed at 38mm in diameter, but definitely does not where like it...look at the picture I just took with it next to my 42mm Orient Ray II...

081-RayII (2).jpg

It does, in fact, measure 38mm (measured the case back with my ruler--don't have calipers...sorry), but it doesn't wear like a 38mm piece. I've purchased 3 other Seikos since, that are 39mm cases, that I am having to offer up, because they look puny on my 7.5" wrist. But this SLT? Looks just fine...

081- (2).jpg

(Sorry about that black blurry spot....something must've gotten on my camera lens). But regarding the size, the Bracelet is 26mm where it attaches at the case, and tapers to 18mm, which is likely why it gives the illusion of being a bigger case size than it actually is.

Either you love the watch, and feel $51 is a steal, or someone could pay you $51 and you STILL wouldn't wear the watch; it's a polarizing timepiece, for sure. But one thing is undeniable, and that is, to be able to get a watch you love the design of, that is a Seiko, and has the GMT and Perpetual Calendar complications, with a purported +/- 20 sec per year accuracy (even if not quite that accurate), for $51 makes one feel like they've just hit a home run.

The SLT081 is definitely one of my favorite watches, and cannot see myself ever getting 'bored' of that watch...but then again, my favorite watch in my collection is this...

Xezo Edit.jpg

...so, as you can see, my tastes are a bit unique!

Reactions: frogles
1 - 20 of 20 Posts