WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well despite what some people said, I was given a Seiko SNK809 as a present. I love it, a couple seconds behind but that's okay. One thing I did notice was that when I shake it left to right or up and down I can her a rattling/ticking noise. Is that normal? Is it the rotor hitting the backing or something?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
As far as I know, it is just the rotor spinning around with the rattling due to the ball bearings. I have two and they both make a noise like that. If I am wrong though I am sorry!

·
Registered
661 Posts
You should hear the rotor spinning, that's normal. It certainly should NOT be hitting the back. The SNK809 has a display back, doesn't it? You should be able to watch the rotor moving and see that it doesn't wobble longitudinally, only rotationally.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh okay, thanks. I don't really notice the spinning sound when I wear it because i'm in a noisy environment so it's all good. Anyway, I have noticed that it gains about 30 seconds a day since I got it. Is there a way to fix that? Sorry for the "noobish" question, I'm new to the watch world.

·
Registered
243 Posts
30 seconds a day is a bit fast.

How long have you been wearing it? Sometimes they will settle down after awhile. You can also try to get the watch to speed up or slow down by leaving the watch in different positions overnight. Bezel up, down, crown up, down etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
30 seconds a day is a bit fast.

How long have you been wearing it? Sometimes they will settle down after awhile. You can also try to get the watch to speed up or slow down by leaving the watch in different positions overnight. Bezel up, down, crown up, down etc.
I've been wearing it for 3 days now. After a week if it doesn't improve should I get it regulated?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not a hard and fast rule, I would give it at least a month, you can start letting it rest overnight in different positions tonight if you like. Think of it as fun, trying to lean how to get your specific watch to run at it's best. Keep a log of how you leave it at night, and how much time it gains or loses from day to day.

Or just set it a minute and a half fast at the beginning of each week. and you will be no more than two min off at the end of the week when you reset it.

Keep us updated with your progress I would be interested to see how it turns out.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a hard and fast rule, I would give it at least a month, you can start letting it rest overnight in different positions tonight if you like. Think of it as fun, trying to lean how to get your specific watch to run at it's best. Keep a log of how you leave it at night, and how much time it gains or loses from day to day.

Or just set it a minute and a half fast at the beginning of each week. and you will be no more than two min off at the end of the week when you reset it.

Keep us updated with your progress I would be interested to see how it turns out.:)

I'm so confused with this watch stuff. So my second hand on my watch is out of sync, which makes me lose or gain time depending on where I set the minute hand.
I'll start doing the overnight different position thing to see if it improves. How to test my watches accuracy? Do i just compare it to an Atomic Clock and see how quickly or slowly my watch is running? Sorry I really am not understanding this watch stuff.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes, checking it against an atomic clock would be best.

Over the course of a week it will gain 3min and 30 sec if it is running 30 seconds fast a day. Setting it a min and a half slow will mean at the end of the week you will only be 2min fast.

Your watch is running a little fast because your balance wheel is oscillating too quickly. Nothing to do with how the hands are set. By laying your watch in different positions you are letting gravity pull on the balance wheel in different ways. One way may speed it up while another may slow it down.

If you want to get a better idea of how a mechanical watch works go to YouTube and search for "how a mechanical watch works."

Here is one of the better videos. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cZwq1KL4SD0

1 - 10 of 10 Posts