WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple of months ago, I purchased a Seiko SNZF17J1. I recently got it modded by my watchmaker and here are some pics for you to see. Looking forward to seeing your comments.

1. Snowflake hands with C3 lume (Sourced from Dagaz)
IMG_0310.JPG

2. Double dome sapphire crystal (Sourced from DLW watches)
IMG_0312_Fotor.jpeg

3. Lume shot
IMG_0341.JPG

Additionally, I have also ordered for a super oyster bracelet with solid ends (source: Strapcode) as my current bracelet started rattling a lot after it went to the watchmaker. I am also planning to change the bezel to submariner style (metal) as I don't like the bold letters on this current bezel. Will update this thread after the final mod.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like the crystal change bit not a fan of the hands. I would like the dot on the second hand to be on the long end on mine, but it'd have to be round

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I like the crystal change bit not a fan of the hands. I would like the dot on the second hand to be on the long end on mine, but it'd have to be round
I am a fan of squares and straight lines; therefore I am more inclined towards Snowflake rather than Mercedes' hands. I also wanted to change the dial so that it has square lume indices, but I couldn't forego the Seiko 5 logo. I didn't give it much thinking as it still follows the Tudor heritage black bay model. But I can understand your point of having dissimilar shaped hands and markers... Let me wait and try to create a custom dial someday :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
My watchmaker charged me €55 for this work. May be pricey to other places, but that's how it is here in Munich. In fact, this was the place which quoted me lowest price compared to a couple of others.
Or you can do it yourself in 10 minutes to 1 hour! :-d

SEE BELOW:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went into this scared as heck but it was rather easy and fun to do.

DIY Difficulty:
On a scale where LEVEL 1 (EASY) is Removing Bracelet Links and LEVEL 10 (DIFFICULT) is Full Watch Movement disassembly and service this DIY would be a LEVEL 3.

DIY Time:
from 10 to 20 minutes to just replace the crystal but you can add an optional hour max DIY time for the water pressure testing if you want to be as careful as I was.

Minimum Tools Required:
1. Crystal Times Sapphire Crystal - $20 to $40 depending on what you want and your watch.
For my Seiko 5 Diver I paid around $29 for a really good quality Blue AR Coated Sapphire Crystal.
I highly recommend Crystal Times for quick shipping, friendly service as well as an immense inventory of crystals for Seiko/Citizen watches and what they don't have on their website they can usually get for you.

2. Advanced Watch Repair Kit - $15 to $26 on eBay/Amazon
(or you can just buy Crystal/Case Back Press at $8 to $12 and Case Back removal tool at $5 to $10. Eyebrow tweezers or small eyeglasses screwdrivers and safety pins around the house can work)

Other things needed but not required:

3. Cup Of Hot Water - Free

4. Cup Of Ice Cold Water - Free

5. Big Jug or Bucket Of Warm Water - Free

6. Silicon Watch Grease (for the stem/crown) - $2

7. Jeweler's Head Lamp with magnifying glass - $8 to $16 Amazon

My candid, unrehearsed, step-by-step video DIY:

Bonus Clips concerning the DIY:

Things to Note:

STEM/CROWN REMOVAL:
Some watches have an arrow pointiing to the spot where you have to press down to release the crown. Here on the Seiko 5 there was no arrow. What I did was press in and pull out the crown a couple of times to see what moved. There is a small lever arm that moves back and forth with the crown being pushed in and pulled out. On that lever there is a dimple that is where you want to press in. One press, with the crown pushed all the way in, and the crown slides out.

WATER TESTING:
I did my hot water test for 20 minutes, then immediately put the watch into ice cold water for another 20 minutes so that tested for condensation and moisture transfer as well.
After I did the deep water test in a jug of warm water for 10 minutes while moving the watch around vigorously about a 12 inches deep under the water surface. I also took the watch for 30 minute lap swim where I dived to 12 feet below water a few times. The watch passed every test. Water and Moisture did not get in.

SILICONE GREASE:
How this is used seems to vary from watch to watch. Some watches need it around the edges of the crystals in order to maintain water tightness other watches with certain types of gaskets between the crystal and case DO NOT need silicone grease! Because I did not have a hard time pressing my new Sapphire Crystal I did not use grease there. Some DIYs say you can use grease to slide a new crystal back onto the watch BUT I WAS TOLD after I was done with my DIY that with Seiko 5 Diver the gasket already in place on the case body that the Sapphire crystal did NOT NEED TO BE SILICONE GREASED AT ALL and it is not recommended. ONLY use the silicon grease on the crown's stem if you find water is getting in. The case back does not need to be greased as well.

PRESSING THE SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL ON:
This was the scariest bit that turned out to be a lot more easier than I anticipated. Take your time here. Sapphire Crystal is tough and will not crack or break easy so be firm with it. Make sure all around the crystal is even with the case before you press. I used a bigger crystal press die to get my first couple of presses in so that the crystal stayed even. I then used a smaller die for the final firm presses.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
A couple of months ago, I purchased a Seiko SNZF17J1. I recently got it modded by my watchmaker and here are some pics for you to see. Looking forward to seeing your comments.

1. Snowflake hands with C3 lume (Sourced from Dagaz)
View attachment 11479034

Additionally, I have also ordered for a super oyster bracelet with solid ends (source: Strapcode) as my current bracelet started rattling a lot after it went to the watchmaker. I am also planning to change the bezel to submariner style (metal) as I don't like the bold letters on this current bezel. Will update this thread after the final mod.
I think this watch looks great! I am a fan of the Black Bay and its many variants.

Did you finally change the bezel? Any pics?

I am mentally very close to concocting my own version of the above, with two additions: plain metal chapter ring from Yobokies, and a ceramic dual time "stealth" bezel insert from DLW watches. Pics below.

This, I think, will create a very simple (perhaps austere?) sporty timepiece, which I expect will look equally good on a bracelet or a NATO.

It will certainly be harder to tell them time without minute markers, but I really don't like those long ones on the original chapter ring.

image_7d4fbce9-a8b1-447d-9975-5d6a07589b88_1024x1024.jpg 2018-01-26 05.49.10 pm.jpg

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Following up on my post above, today I finally have my SNZF17 "triple mod":

– Yobokies plain chapter ring
– Dagaz snowflake hands
– DLW ceramic GMT bezel

Very pleased with the minimalist look :)

FullSizeRender.jpg

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
the Sea Urchin is...- cheap with lots of mod parts available!

Is that right? That's news to me.

Last I checked, Dagaz has like ONE insert option - Blue, to go with their ONE dial option, also blue.

I know Yobokies has a few better ones.
Where other than Yobokies can one source parts for the Sea Urchin?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Is that right? That's news to me.

Last I checked, Dagaz has like ONE insert option - Blue, to go with their ONE dial option, also blue.

I know Yobokies has a few better ones.
Where other than Yobokies can one source parts for the Sea Urchin?
what parts (specifically) are you looking for? just bezel inserts? then you might want to do a search again:

they have THREE inserts (Black, Blue and Red) Search Results - DAGAZ WATCH LTD.

DLW has THREE (2 Green, 1 Stealth) https://www.dlwwatches.com/collections/ceramic-bezel-inserts?page=2

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts