WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seiko SNZF17J1 Photo Review

I have recently purchased a new Seiko SNZF17J1 through eBay from a seller based in Japan. I received it roughly 2 weeks ago and I have been wearing it ever since.

I have been able to see only the SNZF17K version (in metal) here in Germany and I was actually less happy with the finish or off-set chapter rings, but I preferred this model over SNZH55. So I decided to pay a little extra to try and get the SNZF17J1 directly from Japan. The first impressions out of the box were great. The finish was definitely superior to the K version and I honestly felt the pictures posted in the online shops did not do real justice to this product. Additionally, this watch will go for a minor mod next week, so I decided to take some photos in its original condition, mostly closeups so that the community can appreciate this underrated watch. I am not going into detailed review part by part, as this watch has already been reviewed a number of times. But coming to the accuracy, this watch runs at around -30 secs/14 days as of now. There you go...

IMG_9570.jpg

IMG_9628.jpg

IMG_9662.jpg

IMG_9660.jpg

IMG_9637.jpg

IMG_9724.jpg

IMG_9706.jpg

IMG_9640.jpg

Will post pictures of the mod after it is completed as well...

·
Banned
62 Posts
Hi. I think this model and SNZH models are not available in the official Seiko 5 website. Are they considered discontinued? Is that why they are NOT easy to find and buy? I really like these designs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Three weeks in...What do you think now?
It's been going great. Been wearing it continuously for approx. 2 months and happy with its performance. Considering it to be my first Seiko, am more glued to it right now.

Hi. I think this model and SNZH models are not available in the official Seiko 5 website. Are they considered discontinued? Is that why they are NOT easy to find and buy? I really like these designs.
I think you are right. I tried to buy this watch in store here in Germany, but I found SNZF17 only in one shop (K version). When I checked their Seiko product catalogue, I couldn't find this model in it. However, these models were found in their "older" catalogue. However, I have seen a lot of shops selling almost all the variants of SNZH models, but I was not interested in it. I really like these models as well, as they better fit my wrist.

How do people like these for mods? compared to SNZH.
I have seen very few mods of this model compared to SNZH. In my opinion, SNZH best fits to be modded as a 55 fathoms, and its bezel (and embossed bezel insert) isn't open for other mods such as mercedes/snowflake hands. On the other hand, SNZH is much versatile to mods as it has this classic submariner look and the bezel insert is also plain black with matte finish. My mod is finished, just have to take some good pics and will post them this week and share the link here, so you can see for yourself.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've had a sea urchin for a two years now it's slowly becoming my everyday work watch. Funny how it's cost originally relegated it to a beater but now it's growing on me and I tend to baby it. It's been pretty accurate for me and it's handled some rough situations better than a few other watches. Plus it gets the most comments from my coworkers.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a Pepsi Urchin last week, along with a Sumo and a SSC017 and I sent it back. I didn't care for the bracelet at all. I really wanted to love the watch, but it was just missing something for me. Im glad you like it. Maybe I'll try again someday.

Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a Pepsi Urchin last week, along with a Sumo and a SSC017 and I sent it back. I didn't care for the bracelet at all. I really wanted to love the watch, but it was just missing something for me. Im glad you like it. Maybe I'll try again someday.

Cheers!
After few months, my bracelet started rattling, and I got rid of the bracelet and using it over canvas, nylon, or leather NATOs. Much versatile now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice review. I've really enjoyed this watched. Especially for the price. There are so many details to this watch you wouldn't expect. Chrome and brushed finishes ok the case. A really beautiful bezel, dial and hand.

It's definitely not on my to-be-modded list. During to all of the great stock details as I mentioned. Maybe a crystal upgrade. Curious what you had in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
This little guy was my first Seiko and I love it. I have since purchased the SNZH55 as well as the SKX007. The first was only a couple months ago.. needless to say, I love them! These Seikos are some incredibly nice timepieces. I worn Fossil's since high school and decided to venture out.. and ever so glad I did. :) I'm new here to the forum, btw.. so hello everyone. :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I feel these models are a great value. I picked up a Pepsi version a couple years ago and still like to wear it. The black is very classic. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts