WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "monster lite" Seiko snzf45 that has a super small area between where the spring bar attaches and the main part of the watch. It is so narrow I cannot slide in the zulu strap or try to reinstall the spring bar with the strap in place. Would smaller spring bars be the answer or is this a lost cause?

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Thinner springbars would most likely solve your issue. Better yet, get NATO straps, they're better than Zulus anyway.

*ducks*

(My opinion, of course)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is one spring bar better than another? Should I just hunt around ebay or amazon and pick up any kind of should I saunter into my local watch shop and give them a try. From what I gather a regular spring bar is 1.8mm and the smaller ones are 1.0mm.

In which respect do you feel the NATO is superior? I have a NATO style zulu too but hate it. Wayyyy too much material, too bulky, and just not very attractive with too much going on. For some reason the zulu NATO is several inches longer than the regular zulu. Is there a reason for this? On each watch I've tried these zulus on, there is zero chance of slippage, what other purpose does the NATO serve? Cosmetically, I prefer the rounded hardware too.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Is one spring bar better than another? Should I just hunt around ebay or amazon and pick up any kind of should I saunter into my local watch shop and give them a try. From what I gather a regular spring bar is 1.8mm and the smaller ones are 1.0mm.

In which respect do you feel the NATO is superior? I have a NATO style zulu too but hate it. Wayyyy too much material, too bulky, and just not very attractive with too much going on. For some reason the zulu NATO is several inches longer than the regular zulu. Is there a reason for this? On each watch I've tried these zulus on, there is zero chance of slippage, what other purpose does the NATO serve? Cosmetically, I prefer the rounded hardware too.
I don't know about the springbars. I ran my Seiko on the fat bars with a NATO and switched to Bradybars when I got my Sailcloth. The NATO-style Zulu would feel fat and bulky because of the Zulu material. An actual NATO has thinner, more comfortable material and lower profile hardware, which I feel makes it wear better. The Zulu's thick material and large hardware are a turn off for me. Plus, the watch keeper strap on a NATO ensures that your strap wears the same way every time you put it on.

All personal preference, really. A Zulu person could come in and consider all my pros to be cons.

Just did a quick Google search and found this:

http://www.thewatchprince.com/watch-band/spring-bars

They seem cheap enough to try out a few sizes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very logical reasons for me. I plan on getting another strap in the future, so maybe I'll add a NATO to the mix once I figure out the bars. I have 2 18mm maratac mil series (only thing I could find in that size) that my gf enjoys on her (my former) snk809. It is much thinner and very low profile, I think it looks much better than the thicker stock canvas strap so I can see your point on the zulu v. NATO discussion. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before ordering some new spring bars I may see how the MIL series strap fits. While I think it is a tad too thin, and I would prefer not to have black hardware, I would like the flexibility of easily changing straps. Is that the only single piece alternative to a NATO? On a positive note I got the black zulu with an orange stripe for the OM I got my brother for xmas. It looks and fits very nicely.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Before ordering some new spring bars I may see how the MIL series strap fits. While I think it is a tad too thin, and I would prefer not to have black hardware, I would like the flexibility of easily changing straps. Is that the only single piece alternative to a NATO? On a positive note I got the black zulu with an orange stripe for the OM I got my brother for xmas. It looks and fits very nicely.
Well, they have leather NATOs, but they're expensive.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

In your situation, I wouldn't worry about 1 spring bar being better than the other......as long as it is the right size, 18,20,22 whatever. Your local watch repair place may have thinner pins.......both near me did, for my similar needs.

I prefer natos too....but that's purely opinion.......both are extremely popular. I have better luck with natos, Although the basic 2 buckle (or do they call it 3 buckle) zulu works fine with some watches.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In your situation, I wouldn't worry about 1 spring bar being better than the other......as long as it is the right size, 18,20,22 whatever. Your local watch repair place may have thinner pins.......both near me did, for my similar needs.

I prefer natos too....but that's purely opinion.......both are extremely popular. I have better luck with natos, Although the basic 2 buckle (or do they call it 3 buckle) zulu works fine with some watches.

With regard to thickness/thinness would the NATO be the same/thicker/thinner than the MIL series straps from Maratac? Would the Maratac NATO be the same as others with regards to thickness?

I snagged an extra 18mm MIL series strap from my and got it on. I'm actually going to rock that until I get the right size for me. I wish they had as many color options for the other styles, I really like the maroon zulu I got. I'll probably send back the zulu and replace it with a NATO and a 22mm MIL series. Thanks for the help so far guys.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I would up getting a Nato strap and it fit with the spring bars that came with the watch. With a little wiggling I was able to remove it, wash it, and put it back on without too much of a hassle. I also got a 22mm Mil Series strap from maratac and it unfortunately was thicker than the 18mm that I already had. The 18mm is similar to a Nato in thickness, but the 22mm is halfway in between their zulu and their Nato in thickness. I was able to force the spring bars in with the 22mm Mil Series strap but there is no way to remove it, adjust it, clean it without taking the spring bars out. I am still looking for some thinner bars but I doubt even that would make it that much easier. Maybe just allow for some adjustment of the strap but I don't see it being taken off and easily put back on without taking the bars out.

One comment on the Nato. The thinness of the material causes the holes to really stretch out. I wore it to work and it does great in a shop environment but the color I chose (grey/black bond-ish) showed dirt badly. I would go with a dark solid color if I could do it over. The black Mil Series I have on it now looks and feels good. I like not having to deal with the 6" extra of strap too. It doesn't have any metal loops on it so it is very low profile.

In order of Preference: Mil Series > NATO > Zulu. Just one mans humble opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts