WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I've had a Seiko V157-0BB0 solar watch for 3 years now and the accuracy is just amazing. I'm getting roughly 10 seconds deviation per year. In contrast, I also own a Seiko traditional quartz with 7N42 movement and that one is about 60-90 seconds fast per year (which is closer to what is considered normal from what I understand).

Anyone else owning a Seiko solar have a similar experience? Perhaps I just got lucky.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My 2 Seiko V157 are both consistently about +10 spm. You got lucky with an amazingly accurate one. I have one Citizen E168 which runs above +3 spm. I think it’s better than m Certina DS Action Precidrive which is supposed to be +/- 10 SPY.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Perhaps I was unlucky, but the only one I had was right on the edge of the accuracy rating at -15 spm.
Was that on or off the wrist? IME V157s are fairly susceptible to variation in temperature. Mine is roughly +2 seconds per month when worn consistently.

Less accurate when just sitting around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've an SNE141P1 titanium with V157 for three years now. In wintertime, it's spot on, in summertime it loses ca. 2-3 seconds per month. On average it reaches -5-10 spy accuracy. Truly amazing performance for the price.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quartz watches can be adjusted just like automatics and they too are at the whim of luck from the factory - some watches happen to be spot on and others are fast or slow. Luck of the draw. You seem to have gotten one of the ones that happen to be spot on.

My quartz watches are changed twice a year for standard and daylight saving time and, each time they are all within their standard ballpark of about 20s-40s fast or 20s-40s slow, give or take depending on which watch it is. So, in those periods, each watch is off tenths of seconds per day which are well within quartz spec.

I have stopped wearing the battery powered watches for a while as I get tired of changing batteries every two years or so (as well as needing to change gaskets since I've opened them up) and instead favor my solar and Kinetic or automatic watches which never need to be opened and run just fine. Also within the noted specs and are usually 20s-40s off at switch between PST and PDT.

You can't beat a quartz for accuracy, not without spending a LOT of money.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
With quartz it’s all about the crystal, that also ages over time by the way....the more precise it reaches 32,768 vibrations per second. Then in the old quartz watches every on/off cycle triggers another switch until it reaches 1 which then gives the impulse to the stepper motor to advance the second hand by 1.

I find this fascinating.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have a Seiko solar with the V147 movement and I can attest that it is extremely accurate...the most accurate watch I have every owned. Within 2-3 second deviation per month. The key is to keep the watch exposed daily to light....a bit of challenge during the winter months. I'd would be curious on what the longevity of these solar movements will be over time with the repeated charge / discharge cycle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a "catch-and-release" Seiko Solar, which I checked against the atomic clock every week.
It never deviated more than about 5 seconds per day, on a running average.

·
Registered
20,719 Posts
I had a "catch-and-release" Seiko Solar, which I checked against the atomic clock every week.
It never deviated more than about 5 seconds per day, on a running average.
Maybe your atomic clock is broken.

Reactions: Joll71

·
Registered
20,719 Posts
By the way, does the V157 have instant day-date change or it's slow like the regular 7n42 movement?

·
Registered
20,719 Posts
Slow changing, same business as the autos
Thanks, so I will pass. I used to work late at night so a wrong weekday might be dangerous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't have a V157 but have a solar V158, I've notices it's been pretty darn accurate myself compared to my other watches. Haven't had it long enough to judge the entire year though

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, I've had a Seiko V157-0BB0 solar watch for 3 years now and the accuracy is just amazing. I'm getting roughly 10 seconds deviation per year. In contrast, I also own a Seiko traditional quartz with 7N42 movement and that one is about 60-90 seconds fast per year (which is closer to what is considered normal from what I understand).

Anyone else owning a Seiko solar have a similar experience? Perhaps I just got.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the V157, and after 42 days it is just one second different with the atomic clock. So it will be around 8 or 9 seconds a year. Not bad i would say.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts