WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm reviewing the Seiko Spirit SARB033 today. I had been shopping for a new watch for a few months before finally settling on the SARB. I had some basic criteria: it had to be automatic, small case (~39 max) and of course, i had to like it. I came close to buying a Tissot Le Locle, but it’s sharp edges and sharp deployant clasp made it brutally uncomfortable for my small wrist. I have now had the SARB033 for 1 month and I love it. I ordered mine from Seiya Japan and it arrived within 5 business days, and somehow managed to slip through Canada customs without me paying ANY fees, duties or taxes. So, on to the review.

First impressions:
This is a watch that doesn’t strike you with an immediate “wow”. It’s a more subtle kind of refined elegance, and its only once you dive into the details that it really starts to become beautiful. It is by no means a boring watch, but it isn’t a statement watch like many others are.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
View attachment 4508898
View attachment 4508642
When you pick it up, you’ll immediately notice the weight. It’s not unreasonable, but certainly quite heavy; It gives the impression of a quality built piece (which it certainly is).

Dimensions:
It’s a stainless piece with a stainless bracelet. It is 38mm across an wears like a real 38. It is 11.2mm thick, which is a little on the thick side for a dressier watch. It fits perfectly on my small 6.5” wrist.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property
View attachment 4508674
Details, fit & finish:
You’ll notice it’s the details in this watch that make it REALLY beautiful.
On the face, you have polished bars at every hour and a double bar at the top. There’s even beautiful detail in those; you look closely and they have a groove in the middle, which gives a nice bit of texture. A small angled bezel has smaller markers in 1/5[SUP]th[/SUP] second increments. This adds a little bit of complexity to the otherwise very clean dial.
Watch Analog watch Car Fashion accessory Vehicle
View attachment 4508666
The face is a black dial, yes. But as soon as you get some sunshine you’ll notice the black shimmers and turns to a brown shade. It’s a lovely detail.

I really love the hands. They’re quite unique, and despite them being flat they look like they have a much more depth than they really do. The seconds hand has a really nice diamond shape at one end, and tapers down to a very fine, small tip. It looks much like a sewing needle, with a loop at the large end. There is a little bit of roughness/burrs on the side of the hands if one looks closely, however.

The case has a mixture of polished and brushed surfaces, almost in a layer fashion. Lots of subtle edges too, it isn’t a boring cylindrical case. It tapers in slightly towards the bottom where it has an exhibition screw-down caseback good for 100m water resistance. It has a beautiful signed crown, fairly large, with a blasted “S” on it.
Auto part
View attachment 4508754
The quality is every bit as good as everyone here says it is.

Bracelet:
It comes with a proper solid stainless bracelet. No folded links, and solid endlinks. The clasp is nice too, much like the one on my mother’s Tag Heuer. Rather than a stamped stainless clasp it’s a solid brushed piece, nicely finished and without any uncomfortable edges. It has a dual push-button clasp, with a brushed finish and Seiko embossed on it. Bear in mind, it only has two micro adjustment holes. It feels solid when engaged, though not as solid as some higher end luxury brands.
Fashion accessory Strap Buckle Leather Material property
View attachment 4508730
This watch also looks beautiful and even dressier on a leather band, I’ve put mine on a Hirsch Artisan strap for the summer months.
Wrist Watch accessory Watch Analog watch Strap
View attachment 4508738

Movement:
This model has the 6R15C 23-jewel automatic movement. It is a hacking and handwinding movement. It has a 50 hour power reserve, although I’ve never tested this because I haven’t let mine stop since I got it.
Mine runs at +8 seconds a day accuracy right now. To, me this is perfectly reasonable although I might want to get it tightened up someday. The movement is easy to set, runs smooth at 21600 vph and maintains a consistent accuracy. The crown is super smooth to turn, and extremely easy to wind.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal
View attachment 4508746
Through the exhibition case back, part of the movement can be seen: it isn’t jaw dropping beautiful, but there are still some nice details like the Geneva striping on the rotor and the visible balance wheel.
For the most part, it is a quiet movement, but the rotor does make a little bit of noise while spinning.

Verdict:
If this is the sort of watch you’re in the market for, seriously consider this option. It easily competes with watches twice its price, and delivers excellent quality and refinement.
Sure, there is always a risk when ordering online, but I can guarantee you this piece is a winner.

Hope this helps!

James

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice watch! Good to know that no additional charges was paid and it only took you 5 business days to get your watch. I also ordered sarb017 Seiya last july 1 and I am still waiting for it. I am in Calgary hoping no extra charges as well

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thanks for the review!

What can you tell me about the glass? I hear people say the front is hardlex, while Amazon, chino, highshi and other state sapphire crystal

Please reply

·
Banned
158 Posts
Thanks for the review!

What can you tell me about the glass? I hear people say the front is hardlex, while Amazon, chino, highshi and other state sapphire crystal

Please reply
Dial crystal is sapphire. Case back is hardlex.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back is certainly not sapphire (got a couple scratches), most likely hardlex. This watch is still my favorite, i've now regulated it to run at +2s per day (which is fantastic). Only thing, the rotor on mine has loosened a bit and gotten noisy. I'll see if i can get it tightened up.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thanks For the reply!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Great review and pics. It is my affordable desire to scratch my Omega Aqua Terra itch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts