WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,868 Posts
Oh wow. The hands kind of kill it for me. I love the classic tuna hands. But I do like the fact that a spring drive tuna has finally emerged.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Sorry, it was Samanator that predicted this, I'm on here too much. lol

I hate the hands and date as well. I love the power reserve display, I was on the fence about that until I got my SBGA031.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The hands aren't great and I don't care much for the indices (more SKX-style than Tuna-style), but neat to see another "golden" Tuna and with a spring drive movement. I read someone's prediction on the forum recently and never thought I'd see the day.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Doesn't the spring drive kill the robustness of the tuna?

Food for thought...
There have been auto Tunas so I wouldn't think. Spring Drive is more accurate and, in terms of robustness, the case is key to that. I assume it has a monocque design but even with a case back, I'd have a lot of faith in a Seiko diver.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I remember when the mm600 first came, many took issue with the "unique" hex bolts and gmt hand. Despite it all, it still kept true to the clean seiko professional watch aesthetic. This one just doesn't. Hopefully they will release one that is inspired by the 6159 or darth tuna.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Is this a photochop/joke? Monster hands? Can't find it on the Seiko Website.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I understand auto tunas, but for some reason I associate spring drive seiko as being more sensitive to shock than an auto, let alone a quartz... I mean we all love tunas, but weren't they originally designed with robustness in mind for commercial divers??

(Yes, I know no one uses watches in diving these days. Everyone uses computers, and in the case of commercial and sat divers, someone else is watching the time. I'm just saying...)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I understand auto tunas, but for some reason I associate spring drive seiko as being more sensitive to shock than an auto, let alone a quartz... I mean we all love tunas, but weren't they originally designed with robustness in mind for commercial divers??

(Yes, I know no one uses watches in diving these days. Everyone uses computers, and in the case of commercial and sat divers, someone else is watching the time. I'm just saying...)
From what I understand, the Spring Drive technology is more shock resistant than a standard mechanical movement because of its design differences.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I get what you're saying and to some extent I agree that a mechanical movement does not exude as much ruggedness as a quartz. But look at this way: quartz is a fairly modern revelation, and watch companies have been creating rugged dive watches with mechanical movements for years prior to its advent. And with the latest technology, we should have even more faith in the capability of mechanical movements in dive applications.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Leave it up to Seiko to make people wait forever just to give them a design they don't want. =)

For a company that takes so many great steps forward, they sure can take massive steps back, *cough cough "SPORTS" cough*

I think it's OK, but then again I can never own one, so it doesn't affect me in the least...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts