WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just recently purchased my second mechanical watch, the first being my Hamilton khaki field mechanical. So I am very new to the world of non-quartz watches. So, please humor me if I sound dumb on this. But, upon receiving this watch in the mail I noticed that the chaptering was of course slightly misaligned. No biggie there, apparently that's Seiko's way of doing it. But, the hour hand doesn't line up properly at noon or six. When the minute hand reaches the 12, the hour hand is already passed it. Also, the crown takes about ten attempts to screw down properly. I push it in as hard as I can, back thread it, and it still loves to go back to the winding position. The accuracy varies so far after a month of studying it, between -8 and -22 per seconds per day. My question is, are all of these things that I've listed reasonable "problems" for a Seiko at this price? Did I get a dud? Or, are these not issues at all? I love this watch, I am just curious if I should try and regulate it, realign the hour hand, and get the crown looked at? Also, do any of these factors make the watch serviceable under the Seiko warranty?
Sorry for the long post!
Thank you very much for your input on it, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hello,
I just recently purchased my second mechanical watch, the first being my Hamilton khaki field mechanical. So I am very new to the world of non-quartz watches. So, please humor me if I sound dumb on this. But, upon receiving this watch in the mail I noticed that the chaptering was of course slightly misaligned. No biggie there, apparently that's Seiko's way of doing it. But, the hour hand doesn't line up properly at noon or six. When the minute hand reaches the 12, the hour hand is already passed it. Also, the crown takes about ten attempts to screw down properly. I push it in as hard as I can, back thread it, and it still loves to go back to the winding position. The accuracy varies so far after a month of studying it, between -8 and -22 per seconds per day. My question is, are all of these things that I've listed reasonable "problems" for a Seiko at this price? Did I get a dud? Or, are these not issues at all? I love this watch, I am just curious if I should try and regulate it, realign the hour hand, and get the crown looked at? Also, do any of these factors make the watch serviceable under the Seiko warranty?
Sorry for the long post!
Thank you very much for your input on it, I really appreciate it!
They're not reasonable imo, they shouldn't really happen and to get a combination of all of that isn't good at all. Sounds like you got a bit of a lemon there. :(

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Thank you for your reply! What would you recommend I do about it?
It might be worth seeing if they will align the hands for you and look at the crown under warranty. I'd ring and ask but you might have to wait a while as I doubt they're working at the moment. I don't know if they'd adjust the chapter ring and -22 is still within spec for a 4r36. Just mention everything when you contact them and ask what they can do.

·
Premium Member
75,205 Posts
The alignment issues wouldn’t get me over excited on a Seiko at this price level but I’d be concerned about the crown. I’m not short of a Seiko or a dozen and none of them require any sort of persuasion to get the crown to engage so I’d be thinking along the lines of rejecting the watch before some damage was caused.

·
Premium Member
18,051 Posts
All related to luck of the draw. My PADI Turtle also has the 4R36 movement that I bought on a super sale at Macy’s a few months ago that has significant positional variance but runs approximately +5 seconds per day when worn but loses about the same time overnight on its side with the crown up. It too has chapter ring misalignment.

That said, I wouldn’t be able to accept mine if it lost significant time but particularly not a crown issue as described by the OP. Last point: Macy’s not only has a generous return policy but also has sales off an on throughout the year. This weekend is their Memorial weekend sale, SRP777 $100 off MSRP but primarily advantageous because of their return policy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.