WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm prepared to look stupid or ignorant but...

Is the 'normal' second hand the one on the sub-dial? Because the pusher button stops and starts the large second hand and minute sub-dial for timing purposes, but the second hand on the sub-dial keeps ticking away regardless of what I do. Common sense would tell me that the second hand on the sub-dial is for timing purposes but that doesn't appear to be the design. I'm guessing the model is non-hacking then?

·
Registered
458 Posts
yea, becuase on a mechanical watch hacking usualy requires a lever to stop the mechanism which means you have to add a something that blocks the normal function of the watch, which is hard to do without damaging or stressing the movement,

On a quartz movement you just have a switch that when the crown is at the set time position the power to the motor that moves the seconds hand is cut so theres no stress and no complexity. so its really weird to see a modern quartz movement without hacking.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stand corrected.... since I am wearing my solar chrono today... it DOES hack.
Correct. I don't know how it escaped my attention, but I apparently had not been pulling the crown all the way out when checking to see if the watch hacks. I checked just now and was able to verify that the watch does indeed hack when the crown is pulled out to the second position. I still don't like the second hand being on a sub-dial instead of the main dial. I don't know if that's common for a chronograph but it looks awkward.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
On a more positive note, this watch is awesome. It's chunky without being ostentatious, it has all the good looks of the SKX divers but with chronograph functionality, and it's solar quartz so I don't have to worry about winding or keeping a watchful eye over accuracy. Lume deserves its own sentence; I woke up to find the thing glowing like a rod of plutonium, enough to actually light up the room a little. The dimensions are roughly the same as the SKX007, IIRC, but this chrono wears much bigger on my 7" wrist, in my opinion (which is a good thing). I hate the stock rubber dive strap, however, but I have a Strapcode mesh on the way. I'm hoping that there is a sapphire available for it in the near future! Pics to come once I get the mesh on.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Correct. I don't know how it escaped my attention, but I apparently had not been pulling the crown all the way out when checking to see if the watch hacks. I checked just now and was able to verify that the watch does indeed hack when the crown is pulled out to the second position. I still don't like the second hand being on a sub-dial instead of the main dial. I don't know if that's common for a chronograph but it looks awkward.
Having the time keeping second hand on a sub-dial is virtually universal with chronographs. Seiko does a good job making the Chronograph hands as innocuous as possible by locating all thee parked chronograph hands along a vertical line between 6 and 12 o'clock. The chronograph hands are also painted a different color , to further differentiate them from the timekeeping hands.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Thankfully, the chronograph layout is as it should be. If it used the small sub-dial register for the chrono seconds, I would not be at all interested in the watch. A true chronograph always uses the large primary second hand for the chrono. Otherwise, it would be quite difficult to quickly and easily observe the elapsing seconds when timing something. The other way is almost always used on lower end wannabe chronographs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, it's an anal retentive thing for me - if chrono minutes are on a subdial, so should the damn seconds! :p But I get the actual functionality of using the primary second hand for chrono timekeeping. It's starting to grow on me. And, as you stated, Ed, Seiko did well with the off-colored chrono hands. I guess this was my indoctrination into the world of chronograph ownership.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Really like this watch.
The chrono goes up to 60 min. Better than the ubiquitous 30 min that doesn't float my boat.

But, I really wish it was a 12 or 24 hour chronograph.

Hope it's okay to hijack the thread...I thought it better than starting a new thread.

1) how's the accuaracy on your watch?

2) does Seiko mfg a 12 or 24 hr chrono? I know they used to since my first Seiko I purchased in Japan was a 12 hr. Wish I knew where it went :( That was in 1970.

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts