WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I thought my Seiko days were well and truly over until I had that itch for a vintage AGS (old kinetic) Scubamaster.

There was only one I was interested in, the Stingray, so called due to the shape of the case.

These are quite rare, you see one for sale every 18 months or so...

I posted a WTB and within a day someone had one to sell, best thing is it had just come back from Jack @ IWW, it had the new Li-ion cell (orig capacitor was not good), serviced and the case bead blasted. Added to that was a spare bezel with a PVD bezel insert.!

Enough ramble, here are the pics:

...check out that bracelet, thick eh.??

...and the wrist shots:

Its a real beauty this watch... 24 hour hand, which is a breeze to change.

I am a happy bunny... :D :D :D

Thanks
deano

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice watch ! I have wanted one of those ever since I laid eyes on the yellow version, but at this point I'll take any color I can find! These make me want to try a kinetic watch!:p:p:p

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Nice watch ! I have wanted one of those ever since I laid eyes on the yellow version, but at this point I'll take any color I can find! These make me want to try a kinetic watch!:p:p:p
I love pretty much everything Kinetic and I'd love to find one of these around. Looks like it's slim to find one.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Is it true that the Kinetic system is not as reliable as the Eco-drive? I know that they operate on two different principles but I've heard that Kinetic is not quite as good as the Eco-drive watches. Any truth to this at all?

P.S. That watch is awesome! I love the case design, especially the caseback.

·
Registered
143 Posts
there is nothing wrong with the seiko kinetic system - or the eco-drive.

they just both happen to share a "capacitor" (a cheating term (IMHO) for a watch battery) that is rechargeable. this is the weak point. BUT it can be changed and life goes on...:-d

PS. I did hear from some people in Finland that the ecodrives did not handle the "kaamos" (lack of sunlight) too well in the winter, and would stop...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there is nothing wrong with the seiko kinetic system - or the eco-drive.

they just both happen to share a "capacitor" (a cheating term (IMHO) for a watch battery) that is rechargeable. this is the weak point. BUT it can be changed and life goes on...:-d

PS. I did hear from some people in Finland that the ecodrives did not handle the "kaamos" (lack of sunlight) too well in the winter, and would stop...
Hi all

Good questions...

...certainly nothing wrong with either of these technologies. Its horses for courses.

I have been the owner of both a eco-drive and a kinetic (well AGS as the old name is), plus live in Finland, so I would say I have a good stand point on this.

My eco-drive was a Citizen Promaster Tough. Being solar powered there are no real working parts, so this is as close to a quartz as you can get without sayong quartz. It was a very accurate timepiece and one that was never affected by the lack of sun we have in the winter.

The Kinectic however is a hybrid of automatic movement with a power storage facility. The more you move the more charge is stored. All the early versions had a capacitor, which if you were lucky lasted 8 years. there is a conversion to insert a Maxell rechargable Li-ion battery with a much longer life.

Hope this helps
deano

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hi all

Good questions...

...certainly nothing wrong with either of these technologies. Its horses for courses.

I have been the owner of both a eco-drive and a kinetic (well AGS as the old name is), plus live in Finland, so I would say I have a good stand point on this.

My eco-drive was a Citizen Promaster Tough. Being solar powered there are no real working parts, so this is as close to a quartz as you can get without sayong quartz. It was a very accurate timepiece and one that was never affected by the lack of sun we have in the winter.

The Kinectic however is a hybrid of automatic movement with a power storage facility. The more you move the more charge is stored. All the early versions had a capacitor, which if you were lucky lasted 8 years. there is a conversion to insert a Maxell rechargable Li-ion battery with a much longer life.

Hope this helps
deano

Hello this is my first post on the Seiko forum.....I have two Seiko kinetics from 1991 and they are still running strong.......here is a pic of one of them that I took a year ago....|>

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
A fantastic Seiko-and quite rare. I have always liked this model.|> And a nice story about successfully posting a WTB. That doesn't happen too often. Enjoy in good health.:)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yup I am reviving a dead thread. This watch is one of my favorites and this is the best thread on them. Definitely a grail for me, I love it.

Anyone who is a current poster have one of these? Care to share some pics or opinions or a current review? Anything at all?

This thread deserves to be revived! Break out the paddles, anyone know thread CPR?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
fantastic looking watch |>

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'm still bumping this, anyone have one? Wrist shots? How has your time with the watch been?

·
2,105 Posts
I have one but my photo software has been acting up and I cant upload the pics from my camera to my pc. I refinished the case and bracelet and am waiting on a new bezel, crown and case gasket to come in as the example I picked up was not in the best shape. It will look great when finished. I also got a new capacitor that I have yet to install, waiting on the other parts to come in.

Regards,

Ren

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have one but my photo software has been acting up and I cant upload the pics from my camera to my pc. I refinished the case and bracelet and am waiting on a new bezel, crown and case gasket to come in as the example I picked up was not in the best shape. It will look great when finished. I also got a new capacitor that I have yet to install, waiting on the other parts to come in.

Regards,

Ren
Quite interested to see and hear your opinion of the watch when all is said and done. Also some interest on your experience sourcing the watch and parts to refurb it.

For me watches like this are what really do it for me in terms of why I like seiko so much, very unique, some interesting technology, one piece case, interesting bracelet design, gmt function, titanium, saph crystal. The list goes on but in my opinion a really unique watch that is making it to the top of my "must have" list every time I do more research on it.

·
2,105 Posts
I purchased it off one of the watch forums sales boards a little while ago. I was able to get a watch supply house to order the parts for me, although Seiko USA would sell me a whole case, but I didnt need the whole thing. They were also willing to change the bezel,crown etc but will come off much cheaper doing it myself. It is a very cool watch and I love the one piece case design. This is the second example I have owned, sold my first one back in 03 or 04. Wish Seiko would have continued with the Scubamaster line. Hopefully I can fix my software issues by the time I get my parts so I can post some pics of the finished watch.

Regards,

Ren

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi all

Good to see an old thread given new life...

I was the OP of the thread and had the watch for about a year before I flipped it. Looking back it wasn't my smartest move :-s

The Stingray had so many good things going for it:

- Proportions, this was one of most comfortable watches to wear, not head heavy due to the Ti construction.
- Bracelet with the micro adjuster, for me its hard to believe that Seiko were making micro adjustment bracelets in '94 and still the watch industry makes a half hearted attempt to make good bracelets.!!!
- Independent setting of 24hr hand, again looking at the ETA equivalent its a pain to change compared to this method.

OK, for the purists out there you may snub this watch due to it not being an "auto"... but after having this watch, the accuracy, the function and its sheer pleasure to wear I doubt if you could match it.

There is a nice review of this watch on TZ, hope its ok to post the link:

http://www.timezone.com/library/archives/archives0041

...it is for info only, but please delete if this is not acceptable.

Its been 16 years since this watch was first made and obviously these are getting fewer and fewer by the year. However if you manage to hunt one down you will NOT be disappoint.

Thanks
deano

1 - 19 of 19 Posts