WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Whcich one to choose

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me to choose which one is the best one according to you in term of cost to performance ratio.

Best regards

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
As has been said before, Seiko is pretty hard to beat in terms of value for the money. I don't own a Marcello, though I've heard plenty of good things about it.

Marcello will give you a sapphire crystal, an additional 100m of water resistance, and a Selita movement (which some might say is better due to its Swiss pedigree; I don't believe there is a significant advantage in accuracy or durability compared to the Seiko 6R15 movement that powers the Sumo). It reportedly will also give you significantly inferior lume. (In fact, most reviews I've read seem to think Marcello lume to be on the low end of the scale by any standards ...)

I'm a fairly big Seiko fan, so I'm probably biased, but though I believe the Marcello to be a darn fine watch, I don't think it's worth the extra $350 it costs. The advantages it delivers, to me, aren't worth the extra cash, and I have no complaints about my Sumo, which is my go-to watch most days.

Just my opinion ...

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Seiko Sumo, because the 6r15 is BAD-ARSE, and I'm not a fan of those lame Mercedes hands.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
It's very very close for me. In the end, Nettuno noses out Sumo, and I've owned both.

Nettuno because it has a better bracelet, movement (I hate that grinding feeling when I wind a 6R15 movement), and crystal. The glossy black dial of the Nettuno appeals to me more than the matte dial of the Sumo, plus the overall look of the Nettuno just suits my subjective taste.

The Nettuno also takes straps better. You can drive a car between the spring bar and case on the Sumo.

The Sumo is superior in one category as I see it: Lume. That's an important category, to be sure, but it just doesn't win the contest for the Sumo, IMHO. If lume was an issue, I'd get the Marcello and have Jack, Kent, et al. relume it.

Rob

·
G-Shock Mod
14,271 Posts
i like sumo if its my money, and here's why:
  • in house movement (hackable, hand windable)
  • blinding lume in the dark
  • able to swap to a Marinemaster clasp for the adjustable diver extension
the only thing is the crystal, its hardnex (sp?) and its doomed beyond the bezel, which may get hit and scratches

solution: aftermarket sapphire replacement is available, and better yet, with AR coating on the inside. :)

some people thinks the 20mm lug size is a little small for the case size, depends upon personal preference

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
i like sumo if its my money, and here's why:
  • in house movement (hackable, hand windable)
  • blinding lume in the dark
  • able to swap to a Marinemaster clasp for the adjustable diver extension
the only thing is the crystal, its hardnex (sp?) and its doomed beyond the bezel, which may get hit and scratches

solution: aftermarket sapphire replacement is available, and better yet, with AR coating on the inside. :)

some people thinks the 20mm lug size is a little small for the case size, depends upon personal preference
Yeah, it does have the domed Hardlex crystal and 20mm bracelet, which to me are the only two places it loses to the Nettuno. As you said, the crystal could be swapped out for a sapphire, but for some reason I thought I remembered that not being an easy task to get accomplished.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Seiko. Lume on Marcello is some of the worst I have seen. Great watch otherwise. I like the looks of the Sumo as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Seiko as well for me great value for money.

I had a Nettuno - great watch but I got tired of the Submariner wanna be look.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Neither... get Debaufre Magnum... 300m WR, Saphire, ETA 2824, screwed links in super comfortable oyster braclet, single deployant clasp and 44mm in size and a VERY decent lume...

All of this for only 460 + shipping... a bargain if you ask me...

Pic is borrowed I'll post a review and my own pics later....

SIDENOTE: This one is so new that it's not even on a their web site yet so you have to contact Debaufre directly if you want it. I think that someone mentioned that Steinheart version is on their web site but I'm not sure... :think:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
another vote for the sumo.

having had one, the build quality is quite good. the size of the watch was a little bigger then i like for my taste.

agree with everyone that the lume is excellent.

i liked the seiko so much i just bought another model.

good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts