Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Astron

Votes: 9 42.9%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my old workhorse who's been with me for almost 20 years(18 3/4 to be more precise), an SKX007 who, while there isn't anything wrong with it and keep perfect time, probably could die with a moment notice. This is my travel watch, and by traveling I really mean traveling ie going from countries to countries, sometime for months at a time. With either of those I sacrifice the day function but gain GMT, a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I've narrowed it down to those two, either the tough Seiko Prospex GMT SUN023

sun023p1_5__2_.jpg

Or the Seiko astron

sast001-13.jpg

The Astron quite a bit more expensive, a bit bigger to wear, probably not as tough as the prospex, but as timepiece goes, also more interesting.

So, which would you choose, and why?

Reactions: Domo

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personally I like the look of the GMT diver much better, but it's a personal style thing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well I voted for the Astron because I think it looks VERY cool, but then I looked up the price on them... So I vote for Prospex now.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I have the SUN023 myself....It's a phenomenal watch. I do things wearing that watch that no man should do wearing a watch and it still looks like the day I bought it. The black coating on the shroud must be quite thick or just very hard. I dunno. The stock strap is HIDEOUS though, so factor changing that into your decision.

The Astron is in a completely different league though....Sort of hard to compare them. If I could only have one, I'd go for the Astron myself, but frankly if you can afford an Astron I don't see how an extra $400 for a SUN023 could hurt too much?

·
Registered
745 Posts
The prospex, because it seems rugged and reliable, but only if it has a nice steel bracelet. I don't really like the rubber stuff...

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Much prefer the styling of the GMT.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but frankly if you can afford an Astron I don't see how an extra $400 for a SUN023 could hurt too much?
No, I'm Canadian, so that Prospex would be $775.00 once I factor in the taxes, not $400.00.

Reactions: Domo

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I would choose the Prospex because I'm in the water quite often both ocean and pool and in fact I did choose the SUN019. There's quite a bit to like about these models.

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
The Prospex is just divine. Domo wan't kidding when he said how grim the strap was. The one on my 021 lasted for nearly 2 days before I ordered an Isofrane.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Prospex is just divine. Domo wan't kidding when he said how grim the strap was. The one on my 021 lasted for nearly 2 days before I ordered an Isofrane.
Travel/diving watches go defacto on NATO/Zulu strap here, I just don't trust spring pin that much. Could be a selling point for the Prospex come to think of it, that Astron would probably look like crap on a NATO strap.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, just placed an order for the Prospex. Deciding factors were:

It just is a tougher watch, especially after reading Domo comments on the black coating, which was an area of concern to be honest.
I like how the GMT complication work on the Prospex, simple, efficient, don't need a manual and infinitely useful.
It is a better diver, it is a proper diver in fact and I love and use the rotating bezel often.

Well, thank you for playing :)

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Astron for me. But both are nice

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
Voted with my wallet last year.....the Astron is too big unless you have 8+ inch wrists, mine are 7.5.

Helberg cross-stitch strap

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
If the next generation of Astrons shrinks again, I'll be very tempted. However, right now they're just plain too big for me. I was pretty impressed when I looked at them in person, though. For people who have more traditional mechanical watches, an Astron really fills a role in the collection as a be-all-end-all quartz.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
looks great. I might have to revisit kinetics

1 - 20 of 20 Posts