WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was looking for some information on this time piece there wasn’t much. So I think my “6 months on the wrist” review can be of some use for someone thinking about purchasing this watch.

First, I’ll do some specs overview then will share my thoughts and experience.

[HR][/HR]Movement: Kinetic Seiko 5M85 with a 24 hours GMT hand and world time inner bezel
Case diameter: 43.5mm (46mm with crown)
Lug to lug: 50mm
Lug width: 20mm
Water resistance: 10bar / 100 meters
Crystal: slightly domed Hardlex
Crown: regular (not screw down) without crown guards
Bracelet: solid stainless steel links (though end links are hollow but being correctly sized the bracelet doesn’t rattle at all), 20mm tapered to 18mm by the clasp.
Clasp: 2 push buttons deployment clasp with 2 positions micro adjustment
Complications: 24hr GMT, Date, Power Reserve
Case back: see through (Hardlex)
Power reserve indication: pusher at 2 o'clock making the second hand go from 1 to 6 (a day to six months)
[HR][/HR]
I do 100-150 flights per year so buying a travel watch with a second time zone was inevitable. After trying several pieces with sub-dials I decided to go with a GMT hand because at certain hours sub-dials get overlapped by main hands while the GMT hand does not.

This watch has a very handy feature: an independent main hour hand. When a GMT hand is set to home time (or GMT, or whatever) you can adjust the main hour hand by moving it forward or backward in one hour steps without stopping the movement and affecting the minute and GMT hands. So flying to a time zone +2 hours away you just take out the crown and move the main hour hand 2 hours ahead. That’s it. Done.

The inner bezel (controlled by a crown at 4 o’clock) is marked with 24 cities so you can actually see time in 3 time zones at a time.
Surprisingly for a 43.5mm oversized time piece it doesn’t look bulky or too big at all even though my wrist is a bit too small for 43.5mm (my sweet spot is 41mm). The watch still looks elegant and even kind of dressy (for a travel watch) especially with a leather strap. It still easily slides under sleeves of shirts and jackets.

The watch is very well made. It took some moderate beating like door knobs, countless airports, airplanes, swimming pools and seas and still is as good as new.

The dial is beautiful and looks much more expensive than it actually is. Polished marks, applied Seiko logo, slightly domed crystal, 24 hours day/night chapter ring and inner bezel with full city names (not IATA codes) make it look nowhere near boring. Yet it doesn’t look overly busy (for a travel watch).
Polished dauphine hands add dressiness and I’d say class.

My only complaint about this watch (if any) would probably be a lack of lume. All those polished marks and hands act like a mirror and sometimes legibility suffers a bit, but that’s the price of the overall dressiness look.

Legibility wise I would also probably prefer the date wheel to be white with black numbers rather than black with white but anyway it looks great the way it is.

As for the accuracy in my case it’s an amazingly accurate watch. I could probably even use it as a reference watch. I didn’t write down any numbers but during the first two or three months on the wrist haven’t adjusted the watch a single time, so it keeps perfect time.
So overall impression is great. It’s nice looking, comfortably sitting, not boring, gets the job done and have been a great companion in all my trips.

A great value under 300$. For me it is a definite keeper because it's features, looks and the way I feel about it.

Here are some pictures. I apologize for poor quality of my smartphone camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I've never understood why so many gmt watches have random name drops of places in the world on them.. Are they like, advertisements for travel destinations? How much did Denver sponsor Seiko to get on that list?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've never understood why so many gmt watches have random name drops of places in the world on them.. Are they like, advertisements for travel destinations? How much did Denver sponsor Seiko to get on that list?
I can't tell whether you meant that all humorously or whether you're really looking for an answer too, but they're usually there so you can tell the time in several time zones by their relation to the 24-hr dial.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I was looking for some information on this time piece there wasn’t much. So I think my “6 months on the wrist” review can be of some use for someone thinking about purchasing this watch.

[HR][/HR]Movement: Kinetic Seiko 5M85 with a 24 hours GMT hand and world time inner bezel
Bracelet: solid stainless steel links (though end links are hollow but being correctly sized the bracelet doesn’t rattle at all), 20mm tapered to 18mm by the clasp.
Power reserve indication: pusher at 2 o'clock making the second hand go from 1 to 6 (a day to six months)
[HR][/HR]
I do 100-150 flights per year so buying a travel watch with a second time zone was inevitable. After trying several pieces with sub-dials I decided to go with a GMT hand because at certain hours sub-dials get overlapped by main hands while the GMT hand does not.

This watch has a very handy feature: an independent main hour hand. When a GMT hand is set to home time (or GMT, or whatever) you can adjust the main hour hand by moving it forward or backward in one hour steps without stopping the movement and affecting the minute and GMT hands. So flying to a time zone +2 hours away you just take out the crown and move the main hour hand 2 hours ahead. That’s it. Done.

The inner bezel (controlled by a crown at 4 o’clock) is marked with 24 cities so you can actually see time in 3 time zones at a time.
Surprisingly for a 43.5mm oversized time piece it doesn’t look bulky or too big at all even though my wrist is a bit too small for 43.5mm (my sweet spot is 41mm). The watch still looks elegant and even kind of dressy (for a travel watch) especially with a leather strap. It still easily slides under sleeves of shirts and jackets.

The watch is very well made. It took some moderate beating like door knobs, countless airports, airplanes, swimming pools and seas and still is as good as new.

The dial is beautiful and looks much more expensive than it actually is. Polished marks, applied Seiko logo, slightly domed crystal, 24 hours day/night chapter ring and inner bezel with full city names (not IATA codes) make it look nowhere near boring. Yet it doesn’t look overly busy (for a travel watch).

My only complaint about this watch (if any) would probably be a lack of lume. All those polished marks and hands act like a mirror and sometimes legibility suffers a bit, but that’s the price of the overall dressiness look.

Legibility wise I would also probably prefer the date wheel to be white with black numbers rather than black with white but anyway it looks great the way it is.

As for the accuracy in my case it’s an amazingly accurate watch. I could probably even use it as a reference watch. I didn’t write down any numbers but during the first two or three months on the wrist haven’t adjusted the watch a single time, so it keeps perfect time.
So overall impression is great. It’s nice looking, comfortably sitting, not boring, gets the job done and have been a great companion in all my trips.

A great value under 300$. For me it is a definite keeper because it's features, looks and the way I feel about it.

Great looking watch! Seems like it punches above it's weight - proper GMT function too!

Does the GMT hand have a gold tint to it? Does it match the line around the dial between the cities?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Nice review!

I recently picked one up for around 180usd.

I think its a great budget GMT and looks great as well.

Have you noticed that the dial is actually a more sunburst brown color?

I agree with everything especially the legibility. But a quick change of angle and it becomes super legible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great looking watch! Seems like it punches above it's weight - proper GMT function too!

Does the GMT hand have a gold tint to it? Does it match the line around the dial between the cities?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
I think it does. You know it's so thin and polished that it is a very subtle thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice review!

I recently picked one up for around 180usd.

I think its a great budget GMT and looks great as well.

Have you noticed that the dial is actually a more sunburst brown color?

I agree with everything especially the legibility. But a quick change of angle and it becomes super legible.
I haven't noticed any brownness to it but I mostly live in the world of LED lights that make everything look of a higher contrast.

There's truly a very subtle sunburst effect to this dial. Way less prominent than on my Blue Ray II, but it is obviously not dead black matt as my SNE437 and the BFK divers are.

As for the change of angles it is also true. Of all my watches my SNE437P1 diver is probably a king of legibility. I can read the time by almost looking at it's side =). But if it's lume isn't charged it's dead.

While this watch can be read if there's any subtle light source.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I could turn out photos that “bad” with my smartphone it’d be an improvement on what I produce now.
Thank you sir. They're not of a pro quality. That's what I meant. I've seen some really cool shots on this site. With proper lighting, blurred backgrounds and stuff.

These pictures are just..."tool pics" they let you see the stuff =)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Great review.

I have the white dialed version. I picked it up because the design is based on the 6217-7000 World Timer which is a timeless late 60s classic.

Wear in good health.

-Brian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great review.

I have the white dialed version. I picked it up because the design is based on the 6217-7000 World Timer which is a timeless late 60s classic.

Wear in good health.

-Brian
It was a tough choice between the white dialed one and the black but the lighting at the store made those polished hands almost disappear on a white dial. So I went with a safer choice.

It could have been the only non-black watch in my collection except the Blue Ray II though...

·
Registered
3 Posts

[HR][/HR]

Hi Ivan, thanks for your review. This watch is still my consideration to buy. I want to ask about the lume. It doesn't have lume at all on that watch?? Or it actually has but only a few?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Such a well-written review with great practical information! I had already considered this but it became a must-buy after reading your review. Picked up both the 069 and 067 to compare the black and white dials, respectively. I feel the white is more legible for me, but the black flies more under the radar. Both are great and I'm likely keeping both.

Thanks again for the excellent review. More people would try this one. I prefer the world time to just GMT as I have friends and family on multiple continents and timezones.

Only wish they had lume. Would make it perfect for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Ivan, thanks for your review. This watch is still my consideration to buy. I want to ask about the lume. It doesn't have lume at all on that watch?? Or it actually has but only a few?
Hey Luther.

This watch doesn't have any lume at all. At first I thought that the GMT hand does but it turned out to be just white paint or enamel...looks like enamel to me.

But the good thing about polished hands is that if it's not 100% complete darkness, I mean there's a moonlight or something like that one can easily read the time off this watch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Such a well-written review with great practical information! I had already considered this but it became a must-buy after reading your review. Picked up both the 069 and 067 to compare the black and white dials, respectively. I feel the white is more legible for me, but the black flies more under the radar. Both are great and I'm likely keeping both.

Thanks again for the excellent review. More people would try this one. I prefer the world time to just GMT as I have friends and family on multiple continents and timezones.

Only wish they had lume. Would make it perfect for me.

Yes it looks gorgeous in white. It took some time for me to decide between those two and now I can't remember exactly why I went with the black one.

Probably because 43.5 mm is a bit out of my sweet spot which is 38 to 41 (dress to diver) and white one looked larger on my wrist. I think that was the reason.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same movements, different looks

SUN023 GMT diver

SUN043 GMT 50th Anniversary Seiko

Typically good Seiko lume

Yeah they even share the same manual. When I bought this SUN069 piece the manual said "Kinetic 5M85 Dive watch". I was like "whaaat?" =)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yes it looks gorgeous in white. It took some time for me to decide between those two and now I can't remember exactly why I went with the black one.

Probably because 43.5 mm is a bit out of my sweet spot which is 38 to 41 (dress to diver) and white one looked larger on my wrist. I think that was the reason.
That's the reason I thought I would like Black as well. Your post and photos helped me because I also like watches in the 38-41 range, as I have a 6.75" wrist. But these are totally wearable!

I got both to see them in person. May still keep both because the dial gives the watch a totally different look.

I may see if I can get lumed hands swapped on to one just to see how that would look. Not sure I want to mess with a pretty much perfect watch, though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's the reason I thought I would like Black as well. Your post and photos helped me because I also like watches in the 38-41 range, as I have a 6.75" wrist. But these are totally wearable!

I got both to see them in person. May still keep both because the dial gives the watch a totally different look.

I may see if I can get lumed hands swapped on to one just to see how that would look. Not sure I want to mess with a pretty much perfect watch, though.

Please let me see it if you decide to swap hands. I'm thinking about that too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts