WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

· Registered
2,813 Posts
In comparing the products of the two manufacturers you need to be careful to compare like to like. Price bracket is only one way to ensure that they aren't apples and oranges. I have two The Citizens and two Grand Seikos, both pairs in comparable ranges and price brackets and as far as I can see, they are equal in quality, finish and in every other way. As a matter of fact, they are even similar in looks, but that's because they all appeal to me in terms of appearance..... very simple, understated, no numbers, minimal information/braggartry on the dial.
I'm not familiar enough with both sets of ranges to be able to make general comparisons but from what I've seen of both makes, as long as you're careful to stay away from the apples and oranges trap, they must be comparable.

· Registered
14,840 Posts
With regards to Citizen, there's nothing complex about Eco-Drive technology. Instead of a regular watch-battery, you get one that is rechargeable. And it recharges from sunlight or other light sources, with a 6 month reserve once fully charged. The only thing to keep in mind is if the battery becomes very depleted, you need to expose the watch to sunlight instead of other light sources in order to get the charge back up. It's really not complex.

· Registered
3,702 Posts
The case backs on all my Citizens are 'cheap'. Just a sticker on my Citizen Auto Diver with the model and case material info. Even on my limited edition 25th Anniversary Stars and Stripes and Citizen Eco Titanium Diver it is laser etched, but still seems cheap. Seikos have nicer case backs in general.

· Registered
162 Posts
I'm not certain what this says but Seiko offer a two year warranty on their watches, Citizen, five years...

Having said that, my father has been wearing the same Seiko 5 automatic for 37 years with nary a service in all that time.

I've just bought myself a Citizen Skyhawk Titanium and in the end it was balanced against a Seiko which it only narrowly beat. For now anyway, still have my eyes on that Seiko :)

· Registered
14,840 Posts
I'm not certain what this says but Seiko offer a two year warranty on their watches, Citizen, five years...

Having said that, my father has been wearing the same Seiko 5 automatic for 37 years with nary a service in all that time.

I've just bought myself a Citizen Skyhawk Titanium and in the end it was balanced against a Seiko which it only narrowly beat. For now anyway, still have my eyes on that Seiko :)
Any chance we can get a pic of your dad's old Seiko 5?

· Registered
127 Posts
I have several watches from both companies, and I would say that Seiko is definitely superior. Citizen movements seem to be fine, but I have had a broken bracelet, a faulty clasp and two broken crowns. I have never had any problems whatsoever with Seiko, and some of my early examples are now almost 25 years old. With Citizen, the issue seems to be inferior design and/or materials. The same is also true of Citizen clocks, which are again less durable than their Seiko equivalents. I know that Citizen have a great range and probably the best guarantee around, but I will be sticking to Seiko in future.

· Registered
14 Posts
I think it is like comparing Toyota to Honda,personal pref and user experience determine favourites.For example if I
only listened to the negative reviews of say Apple computers I would never have bought one.Their will always be
lemons in any company no matter how good the product is and let's not forget how a person treats the said item
after they buy it also makes a difference.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.