WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this watch at goodwill for dirt cheap and was hoping someone out there had some info on it (Price, Year ETC.) I think its a decent mid range watch and I want to wear it but the band is too small for my wrists so If anyone knows how to adjust that as well that would be great. As far as I know the model number is 7n42-6c00 -Thanks!

IMG_20180712_120326.jpg IMG_20180712_120338.jpg

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
The serial number can be used to decode the date. First digit gives the last digit of the year. It looks like a 1990's design so if the first digit was 8 the watch would gave been made in 1998. The second serial number digit gives the month.

It's a nice two tone watch that uses a fairly standard time and date quartz movement. Not much collector market for that style. Easily worth what you paid as a working watch. Does it run?

Info on the movement below.
http://www.seiko.com.au/calibre/quartz-powered-battery-analogue-3-hands-7n42

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It runs perfectly, I brought it to a local watch repair shop because the band was missing a...spring bar(?) and the battery was dead when I bought it. The shop told me that it would've costed $150 brand new so it have me high hopes. Thanks for the reply though, I had no idea that the serial code would've told the date. :think: :)
On that note would you have any idea on how to make the band a larger size?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You'd have to track down some extra links, which I'd guess would be pretty tricky...

The alternative would be to buy a nice leather strap for it. Kind of a shame because that bracelet looks great, but if it's the only way to get it on wrist...

Nice find by the way!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
On closer inspection of your picture it looks like the bracelet is integrated, so you should probably disregard my comment about buying a strap...

Good luck finding some spare links!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
It runs perfectly, I brought it to a local watch repair shop because the band was missing a...spring bar(?) and the battery was dead when I bought it. The shop told me that it would've costed $150 brand new so it have me high hopes. Thanks for the reply though, I had no idea that the serial code would've told the date. :think: :)
On that note would you have any idea on how to make the band a larger size?
Good it works!
There is a slight possibility that Seiko could have extra links still in stock. So start there.
Otherwise there are people with admirable leather skills who could notch a leather strap for your watch.
Or you could try notching one yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good it works!
There is a slight possibility that Seiko could have extra links still in stock. So start there.
Otherwise there are people with admirable leather skills who could notch a leather strap for your watch.
Or you could try notching one yourself.
Alright thanks! Ill talk to Seiko first and see what they say and if that doesn't work ill try to make a strap myself. I've actually been doing leather working for years and that seems like something simple enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts