WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Updated!

DSC09450.jpg

I spend a lot of time in Bangkok so this time I decided to write up a guide on seiko shopping in the city. I didn’t have any particular buying goal so I was just browsing, although I did end up purchasing something (reveal near the end of the post). Hopefully this comes in handy for anyone visiting Bangkok looking to shop Seiko or other watches, or at the very least you can vicariously shop through the photos ;)

The Seiko selection available in Bangkok is pretty good. They have a lot of models available including some interesting JDM models and limited editions specifically for Thailand. The Prospex diver line is well represented in many shops and includes multiple limited editions. Monsters, Tuna’s old and new, Kinetic shrouded divers, and Sumo’s were all abundant. Grand Seiko was also readily available at a few of the large malls and department stores with most models accounted for. There are also some interesting collections that I have not really seen much of including: Criteria, Velatura, Brightz, Presage, and many Lady Seiko lines.There were a few models that I did not see represented. I looked high and low but could not find a SARB033/035 or Cocktail Time anywhere (although I did see a few Grand Cocktails). The SKX007/009 was also rare, I only spotted two of them in some of the smaller shops.

IMG_5067.jpg
An SKX in the wild! or maybe 'in captivity' is a more apt metaphor.

In terms of price, the offerings reflect typical authorized dealer (AD) pricing with the opportunity for many discounts. Most stores will readily offer 15% off any of the watches, with some models going down as much as 50% off. There are also many promotions throughout the year that will offer additional discounts. And don’t forget the VAT refund which will get you around 7-8% back at the airport. Since these are AD prices they can’t really compete with grey market alternatives available online, even after all the discounts. The two exceptions to this are the Thailand limited editions, and the Grand Seiko’s. These offerings were consistent with online prices that I checked, including the yellow and silver Sumo’s, the Grand Seiko Snowflake, and some other models I compared. Some Grand Seiko models were even discounted by 50% (including one hi-beat model I looked at), but I did not do enough research to see if these discounts were also reflected from online vendors.

Let's proceed to the guide, and apologies about the images as they were just from my cell phone and are of poor quality. Next time I do a guide I will bring along a better camera...

Paragon Department Store, M floor, Siam Paragon.
First on the list are the shops that are hard to miss. These are the department stores in the major shopping malls around the Siam area in Bangkok and along the Sukhumvit BTS line. The first of these would have to be the Siam Paragon shopping center. Located just outside the central Siam station along the BTS Skytrain lines, this is the premier shopping center in Bangkok. If you are looking for something in the mainstream you will find it here. You can buy a new Lamborghini, an Armani suit, a Vacheron Constantin, and have sushi when your done, all under one roof. In terms of watches in general, this is a pretty great place to see an amazing range of models. On the M floor (same floor you enter from the BTS station) most of the high end brands are represented with dedicated boutiques (Rolex, Patek, VC, Omega, etc.). And inside the Paragon department store you will find a huge watch section with a very diverse collection of luxury, mid-range, and lower tier brands. Among them is a decent collection of Seiko and Grand Seiko. The Prospex line is well represented with a number of limited editions and examples from the standard range. Grand Seiko has some pieces here but not a great selection. Prices are AD prices, so no real deals to be had here, but a great place to try on some models!

IMG_5127.jpg
Entering through the east entrance of the department store one just needs to walk through the make-up section, past a few women's clothing shops and look for the giant Luminox!

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5113.jpg

The Seiko cases are near the back right, or north east section of the watch area.

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg
The shrouded kinetic divers seem to be popular here as I've noticed multiple models in every store.

IMG_5114.jpg
Nice color on these.

Watch Cafe, M floor, Siam Paragon.
Just outside of the department store entrance near the Tag Heuer section is a small shop called Watch Cafe. It is very near the back, past the Omega boutique and around the corner to the right. I believe they are managed by the Trocadero Time company and carry an interesting selection of Seiko and Grand Seiko watches. They also have some watch technicians on site and can do repairs and minor work. When I was there they had sold out of all of their Prospex watches but they did have a number of Grand Seiko pieces, including a Hi-Beat that was 50% off. I wasn’t interested enough to compare the sale price to the internet prices but I’m assuming I probably could have found a similar deal online...

IMG_5106.jpg
Walk out this entrance and take a right.

IMG_5102.jpg
Toward the North lift lobby and parking area.

IMG_5103.jpg
It is not much to look at from the outside, but hidden inside are some nice pieces.

Central Zen department store, Central World.Right down the street is Central World, the competing mega mall owned by the rival family of the owners of Siam Paragon. There are some watch stores scattered throughout the mall, but the main Seiko collection I found was inside the Central Zen department store. Can’t remember which floor, but it is clearly labeled on the maps. The selection was ok, but not great. No Grand Seiko, but some Prospex models.

IMG_4823.jpg
Decent selection if you are here, but don't go out of your way.

Central Chidlom, 2nd floor.I frequent this department store as it is only a short walk from my condo and has a good selection of food on the top floor :) It is only one stop away from Siam station on the Sukhumvit BTS line. In terms of watches they have a decent selection of Seiko and Grand Seiko on the 2nd floor (same floor as the BTS entrance). Similar collection to Siam Paragon.

IMG_4806.jpg
Smallish watch area consisting of 9 or so 'islands' of cases, each dedicated to a different brand. This is the Seiko case, also shared with Alba and Citizen. A good selection of Seiko though, worth checking out if you are close.

IMG_4805.jpg
Good selection of Prospex.

IMG_4808.jpg
Small corner of Grand Seiko right near the escalator.

IMG_5231.jpg
Want...

IMG_4693.jpg
I'll take both please...

Emporium Shopping Center, M floor.
A few stops down the line from Central Chidlom is the Emporium Shopping Complex (Phrom Phong station). Emporium just opened a fancy new building on the other side of the station, but the one with Seiko is the old building on the south side of the tracks. On the M floor is a dedicated Seiko section managed by Trocadero Time. Now the official Seiko website lists a dedicated Seiko boutique as being on the 1st floor. That boutique seems to be relocated to the M floor and integrated with the watch section of the department store. Here they have probably the best selection of Grand Seiko that I found in Bangkok. I got to handle both the silver and gold versions of the Grand Seiko Snowflake. And in terms of price the Snowflake model was similar to the prices online, so not a bad buy, but my wallet decided I should pass... Maybe next time :) They also have a good selection of Prospex, Astron, and other Seiko ranges.

IMG_4984.jpg
Looks small from the outside...

IMG_4987.jpg
But a great selection once you take a closer look.

IMG_4989.jpg
Lots of Grand Seiko, and my snowflake! It is mine in my mind anyway... :(

To find the more interesting models one must venture away from the posh malls and into the wild! By wild I mean MBK, the crazy shopping complex at the National Stadium BTS station. Here you can find just about anything if you ask around. Lots of fake stuff including watches so keep your eyes out and do your homework. This is a good place to get used watches if you are interested, although only the popular brands are represented (lots of used Rolex and Panerai, some Omega, some Breitling, not much else... For Japanese watch enthusiasts there are a few shops that have a pretty good selection of options.

Lao Inter Watch, 3rd floor, MBK.
This shop is easily spotted on the west aisle of the 2nd floor of the long rectangular MBK complex. They have a very nice selection of Seiko, Citizen, and some Orient. No Grand Seiko but lots of Prospex!

IMG_4828.jpg
Promising...

IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_5190.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg
Nice.

IMG_4830.jpg
Very Nice.

IMG_4831.jpg
So many limited editions!

IMG_4836.jpg
Interesting, haven't seen this one before.

IMG_5194.jpg
Another limited?

Chanchai Watch, 2nd floor, MBK.
Great selection here. I would say this one is tied with Lao Inter watch as the best selection of Seiko and Citizen in MBK. Definitely worth the visit for this place.

IMG_5207.jpg
Check out those dense cases.

IMG_5218.jpg

IMG_5208.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5211.jpg
Seeing an SKX007 is always a good sign.

IMG_5213.jpg
Haven't seen this before.

IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5217.jpg
Also a nice collection of Citizen.

Tavorn Watch, 3rd & 4th floor, MBK.
There is another shop with two outlets on the 2nd and 3rd floor of MBK called Tavorn Watch. I ended up making a purchase here :) They are an AD so their prices reflect that but they are open to bargaining. This is the shop where I pulled the trigger on the Thailand only limited edition green Sumo SPB031J. Cool. At the time of writing there were a couple more pieces available at some other shops in MBK, but the larger shopping malls had all sold out of them. I visited this shop a few different times and met a range of sales people. Two of them were very friendly and helpful (including the woman I purchased the Sumo from), while the last time I went the sales person I met was pretty disinterested and pushy.

IMG_4839.jpg
The shop on the third floor. Small entrance but excellent selection packed tightly into the cases. They even had an SKX007 and SKX009 which I rarely see.

IMG_4841.jpg
The shop on the fourth floor. Similar selection but some distinction. Worth asking if you don't see what you are looking for as they might have it displayed in the other shop.

DSC09519.jpg
​And my purchase! They had a few pieces between the two shops. It is such a beautiful watch I just couldn't say no, and the fact that it is limited to 820 pieces didn't help me resist :)

3320b3c4de342e924af29ea8de70e1af.jpg
And because Novak told me to do it.

Watch strap & repair, 2nd floor, MBK.
This guy had a great selection of watch straps. Phoenix nato's from the UK, lots of leather Panarai straps, and many other leather options. Worth a look.

IMG_5197.jpg

Show Time, 2nd floor, MBK.
Right next door to the repair shop. A few Seiko's in the front case. Nothing too special.

IMG_5196.jpg

Lucky Watch, 3rd floor, MBK.
Another one in MBK. They had a basic collection of Japanese watches. I didn’t look closely at the price but I assume it is like many of the others.

IMG_4838.jpg

City Chain, 2nd & 3rd floor, MBK.
City Chain had a number of outlets of varying sizes located mostly on the second floor of the MBK shopping center. Unfortunately their selection was similar in scope to their Hong Kong counterparts, in other words: very thin.

IMG_5185.jpg
Third floor.

IMG_5188.jpg
Selection on third floor.

IMG_5189.jpg
Gives an idea of their market.

IMG_5201.jpg
Large shop on second floor.

IMG_5202.jpg
Selection inside large shop.

IMG_5186.jpg
City Chain limited editions.

IMG_5206.jpg
Not really my style but definitely interesting!

IMG_5220.jpg
Small shop second floor.

IMG_5221.jpg
Selection is rather disappointing in this one.

Seiko Service Center & Showroom.
Now this place is well worth the effort it takes to get there (a decently long walk north from Ploenchit or Chitdlom BTS station). There are actually 2 buildings, just around the corner from each other. One is a dedicated service center, and the other is the showroom, so if you wander to the wrong one and don’t see any watches on display don’t panic! Inside the showroom they had probably the most diverse collection of seiko watches I have seen in person outside of Japan, including some ranges I was not familiar with. I did not ask about prices so I am unsure if they offer discounts or any other incentives, but the sticker prices I did see were consistent with AD prices.

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 7.22.42 PM.jpg
About an equal walk from either Chidlom or Ploenchit BTS stations. Looks like you can get closer through the Ratchaprarop stop on the City line of the Airport Link, but I didn't try. I like a nice walk.

IMG_5043.jpg
This is the showroom, the service center has blue signage.

IMG_5044.jpg
Decorating the outside of the shop, promising...

IMG_5070.jpg
Hello there Novak.

IMG_5045.jpg
Now we're talking.

IMG_5046.jpg

IMG_5047.jpg

IMG_5049.jpg
Velatura, haven't seen these before.

IMG_5055.jpg
This is a really nice model. I can't come to grips with compass bezel's though (no pun intended)...

IMG_5062.jpg
I like these, but was hoping to see the SARD007, which I'm assuming uses the same movement.

IMG_5053.jpg
An interesting model I haven't seen before. Has the cocktail time style dial with the light blue sunburst.

IMG_5051.jpg
I saw a number of limited editions dedicated to HH the princes of Thailand.

IMG_4835.jpg
Very nice colors and presentation. Seiko really likes Thailand.

And that is what I know of Seiko shopping in Bangkok. I know there are some other shops around the city as I've seen Seiko signs around as I've been passing random areas in taxi's, but I have not had the opportunity to seek them out as it is difficult to find any info on the internet about them.

I compiled this list mostly on my own, but I did find some helpful info through the links listed in the sources. I hope you guys enjoyed the read if you made it through.
All the best,
...levi

Sources:
https://musingsofawatchaddict.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/a-visit-to-seiko-thailand/
Grand Seiko | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION
GRAND SEIKO : SEIKO BOUTIQUE | Trocadero Time

Attachments

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Re: Seiko Watch Shopping in Bangkok, A Visual Guide (Warning: Image heavy!).

Informative posting but making uses of attachments as opposed to inline pictures remove all the visual part of it... and the warning is not applicable.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

They are not actual attachments if you bother to click on them, the forum software seemed to have deleted all my uploaded images :/
I am attempting to fix but the interface is rather clumsy...

·
Registered
7,107 Posts

They are not actual attachments if you bother to click on them, the forum software seemed to have deleted all my uploaded images :/
I am attempting to fix but the interface is rather clumsy...
Well that's the point exactly, having to click and dealing with multiple tabs removes the flow of reading an illustrated thread. Editing works better when you switch to "source mode" with the button top left.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Although I appreciate you pointing out the obvious </sarcasm> I think you missed my point. They are not supposed to be attachments. The forum software timed out my uploads and replaced them with broken attachment links. Obviously the point of the thread is to be image heavy with inline images as clearly stated in the title. The attachments are an error by the timing mechanism of the forum software which I am in the process of trying to fix.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts

Although I appreciate you pointing out the obvious </sarcasm> I think you missed my point. They are not supposed to be attachments. The forum software timed out my uploads and replaced them with broken attachment links. Obviously the point of the thread is to be image heavy with inline images as clearly stated in the title. The attachments are an error by the timing mechanism of the forum software which I am in the process of trying to fix.
Actually I was trying to help and pointed out what I do to securely post images, so it's you that have missed the point. Mai pen rai.

·
Registered
414 Posts

Awesome post! looking forward to the rest of the pics-and nice job on the clairty of your pics, lots of detail!

·
Premium Member
7,036 Posts

Nice pics + write up. Take pictures of Archibald Chesterfield III if you see him there.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts

Kumbaya my Lord...

Awesome post!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Seiko Watch Shopping in Bangkok, A Visual Guide (Warning: Image Heavy).

Just when I thought I was finished fixing the post, all the spaces get deleted:

Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 12.58.36 PM.jpg

Oh well.
Fixed now (I think).

Reactions: James Haury

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Seiko Watch Shopping in Bangkok, A Visual Guide (Update: Fixed!) (Warning: Image Heavy).

Thanks everyone who stopped by for your patience and interest. Post is finished (hopefully).

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Re: Seiko Watch Shopping in Bangkok, A Visual Guide (Update: Fixed!) (Warning: Image Heavy).

Goddam that's awesome! When I opened the thread I was hoping to see some pics of the 50th anniversary Sumo and you bought one! Sweet!

I would have been mighty tempted by the yellow one too!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

Great thread, I'll bet a lot of people will find this very useful.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

As ever, Levi, an awesome thread. I must do a London version sometime.
You should! I for one would enjoy the read.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Great write-up and pic. Informative and detailed, I've been a few times to MBK in BKK, but I've learned more than a couple of things here..... Thanks SO MUCH, truly!!!

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Nice pics + write up. Take pictures of Archibald Chesterfield III if you see him there.
Lol.
I'm probably not hanging out in same part of town as he is if you know what I mean...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

Lol.
I'm probably not hanging out in same part of town as he is if you know what I mean...

I'd say the same if my wife was also looking over my shoulder ;-)

Great post |>

·
Registered
492 Posts

Great read! Sadly the last time I was in Bangkok was on my honeymoon...right before this damn Seiko addiction started.

Reactions: ...levi
1 - 20 of 46 Posts