WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seiko Watch Shopping in Hong Kong, A Guide.

I recently spent 3 days in Hong Kong, and one of my missions was to purchase a Spring Drive Tuna. I quickly learned to my dismay that the entire diver variety of Seiko’s lineup, in fact diver watches in general are a rare find in Hong Kong’s otherwise rich watch offerings. But after much searching and researching on the internet I did find hope, and eventually my quest was fulfilled with an excellent price to top it off! As I had such a hard time finding what I was looking for I decided it would be good to summarize the information I found around the internet, augmented with my discoveries on the ground.

In terms of watch shopping Hong Kong is very in your face about having all the major brands. In Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) where I was staying along Nathan Road, you cannot go anywhere without seeing a watch dealer, and I mean that literally. The majority of the big brands were represented with multiple dedicated boutiques and AD’s (Authorized Dealers) on nearly every city block. These included the usual mid-upper tier suspects: Tissot, Tudor, Rolex, Breitling, Omega. As well as the upper tier: Jaeger LeCoultre, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, etc. If you are into these brands you will be well served by just walking outside of your hotel for a few blocks and looking around, chances are you will find a dealer.

In terms of selection, my hypothesis (after browsing the models of many showrooms, and speaking to a few dealers) is that these stores seem to cater to the desires of the Hong Kong and mainland China tastes, as these represented the majority of tourists that I observed during my stay over the winter holidays. This was very apparent when I stepped into a dealer offering the DOXA brand, only to find a bunch of dress watches with no iconic orange divers in sight. Sigh...

Based on these first appearances Hong Kong is a shoppers paradise. The combination of no Tax/Duty and competitive prices makes this a great place to make major purchases. The first issue that comes up for bargain hunters is that most of these dealers are AD’s meaning their prices will more or less reflect the MSRP of the watches (less any tax of course).

So on to Seiko...

The AD for Seiko in Hong Kong is Thongsia, and branded as City Chain. So you can easily do a web search for either of those and turn up a wealth of locations around the city. These are represented in most of the shopping malls around the city so it shouldn’t be too hard to find. The problem is if you are searching for any divers or Grand Seiko as they do not offer many if any at all.

_MG_9486.jpg
Image credit: City Chain

City Chain also manages a couple of dedicated Seiko boutiques around the city. A simple web search will turn up three locations, with the flagship being in Causeway Bay. Unfortunately after walking around for 20 minutes trying to find the Causeway Bay location I came to the conclusion that it no longer exists! I later confirmed this with some detailed web searching... Sad. I did visit the other Seiko boutique in TST which was nice, but the selection was not great in the diver or even Grand Seiko variety, with no Seiko Tuna divers to be found... sad.

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 11.44.01 AM.jpg
Image credit: Thongsia

I did some more web searching and turned up a few leads thanks to some other posts, and general deduction (links at the end of post). The first was CTG watch which had a small office near the Sheung Wan MTR station island line. This was pretty difficult to find as it was not a traditional store front but a small office (very small) on the 7th floor of the Gee Tuck building on Bonham Strand (see images below).

FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_4542.JPG
IMG_4541.JPG
IMG_4540.JPG

After finding it and buzzing the doorbell to be let inside, I was greeted by a few well stocked cases and a very friendly english speaking guy behind the counter. He explained to me that this shop was mostly just a small wholesale front and most of their stock is in a separate warehouse for managing their online orders (CTG has a nice selection of JDM Seikos on their website). He also offered to have any model I wanted to see in person sent over to their office the next day which was a tempting offer. They also had a nice selection of G Shock and Casio Edifice watches represented.

If you are into the Seiko Modding scene, Hong Kong is also home to Dagaz and Yobokies. Dagaz has recently opened up a store front in Hong Kong near the end of one MTR line in Kowloon, Tsuen Wan. I did not have time to visit unfortunately. There is a detailed writeup by Worn & Wound here.

STOREFRONT-1024x782.jpg
Image credit: Worn & Wound

The next lead I had turned out to be the jackpot. I found a reference to a shop called Watch Outz near Jordan station, so I went to track it down.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg
IMG_4543.JPG

Upon walking inside I was greeted by this:

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 12.56.24 PM.jpg
Image credit: Google

There is hope! Their selection was amazing, and their prices were even better than amazing. I had a very hard time not walking out of there with multiple watches. Luckily my credit cards have spending limits on them ;) Of course the prices were great for a reason as the shop is a grey market dealer (not authorized), but even with that the prices were better than anything on the internet by a significant margin.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

They had pretty much every model of Seiko diver on display. All the current Marine Masters including the SBDX012 limited edition. All of the current and recently discontinued Tunas, again including the limited editions.

I documented my Tuna shopping experience with a detailed comparison here if anyone is interested.

The proprietor was very friendly, showing me some of his personal watches and demonstrating his extensive knowledge of the products with detailed specs of the previous and current models, including information I was not aware of previously like the fact that the new Tunas have a silicone bracelet as opposed to the old rubber bracelets. He clearly goes to great lengths to acquire his excellent collection, as he recounted his experience of trying to acquire some stock of the limited edition green Sumo SPB031J1 where he ended up flying to Bangkok to acquire 5 pieces from MBK (same place I got mine).

Besides Seiko they had an epic collection of Casio G-Shocks.

FullSizeRender_2.jpg
FullSizeRender_3.jpg

I was particularly interested in the Range Man line and they did not disappoint, having a copy of every limited edition version of that watch.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Check out this rare G-Shock Frogman, wow look at that price!

FullSizeRender_4.jpg

For those of you who can’t make it, google offers a virtual tour of the store!

Feel free to add any info you may have to this guide as I hope it will eventually help others in their watch hunts in Hong Kong. Hope this helps, or is at least entertaining!

Information credits:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Seiko/comments/3jlgao/hong_kong_a_good_place_for_seikos/?
https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/hong...quare-shopping-center-8r28-gs-gmt-626269.html
http://wornandwound.com/2015/05/14/modding-heaven-the-dagaz-storefront/

·
Registered
67 Posts
Spent a lot of time in HK during my Navy days, so this was a walk down memory lane. In fact, I can hear the ladies voice in the subway announcing "Next Stop, Tsim Sha Tsui" like it was yesterday. Too bad I was not inflicted with this disease back then, could have scored some great deals.
I love the white Sumo...it's gorgeous. But twice the price of the Blumo? That's crazy. Although $377 USD for the Blumo is a good price :)
But almost $9,000 USD for a G-shock? WOW!! Sorry for the USD conversions..I know this is a multi national forum, but its the only way for me to put it in perspective.

Hope you got a little time to have some fun in Wan Chai. I always stopped there for a few beers before exploring the city. Damn, I miss that place.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Thanks Levi. A friend was going to look for a Grand Seiko for me in HK. Interesting to learn it's not that great a place to hunt. I might have to fly out to Japan!

Sent from my Enigma machine

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Hong Kong is my favorite city on Earth... And there's arguably no better place to look at watches. Thanks for sharing the info!

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Jesus Christ, is this guy selling Seiko dive watches or showing off his collection? Amazing! If you look at the Google virtual tour thing you linked and move to the Seiko display case, he has quite a few rare dive watches and even a stack of ISOfranes....

Reactions: ...levi

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Levi. A friend was going to look for a Grand Seiko for me in HK. Interesting to learn it's not that great a place to hunt. I might have to fly out to Japan!

Sent from my Enigma machine
You still might have him take a look around at the seiko boutique in iSquare TST. I wasn't on the lookout for Grand Seiko so I didn't pay much attention to the models that they had there or the price. But that was the only shop where I saw them.

Reactions: LordBrettSinclair

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Levi:
Nice thread, nice presentation.
$1,530.00 for a OD colored Rangeman? Not so nice.
Obviously you'd need deep pockets to shop H K AD's.
Son used to visit Beijing on business. Told me of high
cost of living. Now I see what he meant!

X traindriver Art

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Levi:
Nice thread, nice presentation.
$1,530.00 for a OD colored Rangeman? Not so nice.
Obviously you'd need deep pockets to shop H K AD's.
Son used to visit Beijing on business. Told me of high
cost of living. Now I see what he meant!

X traindriver Art
But Watch Outz is gray market...

And yes, Hong Kong used to be a nice place to get cheap things. Now it's the Manhattan of Asia.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
awesome right up and photos! Would love to do it some time

·
Registered
107 Posts
This year I found a like new second hand snowflake GS in one of the grey market shops (Japanese owners) in the small alleys near Nathan road you show on the pics but my credit card acted up and they didn't want to take my amex... 😣

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Love Hong Kong, but never went watch hunting there.

I did in Bangkok at MBK (last week) but it's so much of a zoo there. Just too many shops selling either fashion watches or fakes or both. Kind of a downer to see all the fakes there. Would be nice to have a solid address in both Bangkok and then a couple for Hong Kong..

·
Registered
671 Posts
The Watch Outz shop has the best collection of Prospex divers i have seen. Better than any shop in Japan i have been in.

Our stopover in HK is unfortunately only an hour, this April on the way to Tokyo, which isn't enough time to get there. Bummer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice job levi. Impressed you found Watch Outz! They have one of the most competitive prices in HK. For those watch hunting in HK, be aware as the best priced pieces (parallel imports) have very long waiting lists so bear in mind the models you want may not have ready stock.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread. I was on Hong Kong last month and decided to go on a Seiko hunt as well. I did see some Grand Seikos and SBEX001 in the authorized Seiko stores and only one MM300 on display. Generally no love for any divers at most stores though. None of the ADs even sold any Sumos.

I ended up at Watch Outz twice on my trip and came out with more than I was expecting since the pricing was just too attractive and being able to see and try pieces on in person makes all the difference. The owners were great to deal with and very nice. I will definitely go back on my next visit. I wouldn't hesitate buying again from them. Here is only a fraction of their Seiko lineup.

20160327_160734.jpg 20160327_160750.jpg 20160327_160825.jpg 20160327_160741.jpg 20160327_160809.jpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Any idea how much the SBBN033 is in HK and if its cheaper to buy it in Singapore or Japan, I will be visiting all 3 and want to grab one on my travels in a few months.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts