WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seiko website watches vs. what's actually for sale?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Sodiac 
#1 ·
Hi Seiko folks:
I'm looking at all the nice Seikos at great post-holiday internet prices, but I'm confused about something.

When I go to the Seiko website ( http://www.seikowatches.com/ ), I see only watch lines like "Sportura", "Velatura", "Premier", etc.

I can't find any info on the "classic" Seikos like the ones actually for sale at the retailers. I don't even see any of the dive watches, or many of the Seikos I see in the photos and reviews on WUS, like the "Orange Monster" and others.

Are these "classic" Seikos discontinued, or am I totally dumb and looking in the wrong place on the Seiko website? If so (either dumb or not seeing correctly :-d ), can someone direct me to Seiko pages of the "original" other styles?

Thanks,
Sodiac.

#2 · (Edited)
The Sportura, Velatura, Premier lines are part of Seiko's international watch offering, available throughout the world whereas categories like The Grand Seiko, Alpinist, Mechanical, Diver watches are sold only in Japan, on the domestic market. (don't ask me why but I think this is an example of flawed marketing if I ever saw one).

So if you want to see their latest offering on dive watches for instance you need to browse the Japan site http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/

If you also intend to buy such a watch you either have to look on ebay or contact a japan seller (there are 3 reputable ones dealing Seiko watches from my knowledge) and do little grey marketing :)

PS: here's a link to Seiko's current line-up of domestic watches: http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/purchase/catalog.html

#6 · (Edited)
Just thinking after re-reading this: does this mean that many of the "home market" watches, like the SND411 chrono I've been eyeing (which I've seen for ~$85.00 new), is a gray market watch if purchased in the U.S.?
Thanks....

#4 ·
Also, if you're looking at Seiko's main USA site, you can see additional offerings that don't fall under a particular line by clicking on the "technology" link and then selecting individual types of watches based on function and how they are powered. There you can see the other models that are not considered a part of a particular collection.

For instance, when you select automatic watches and then view all, you will see the land monsters and a couple of other watches. You can also find the land monsters by selecting dive watches.

#7 ·
The Seiko website is simply awful. Really needs to be redesigned for the very reasons the OP states.

The best way to research available "rest of world" models is to go to one of the int'l vendors and check out their inventory.

Try:

Higuchi, Seiya, chronoworld and Blue Dial. Check the sticky link at the top of the forum page for more dealers. Higuchi and Seiya do not have all their offerings on their website. However, I emailed Higuchi-san about a Samurai and he responded promptly to my emails and had a smooth transaction via PayPal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.