WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Sekonda, one of Britain’s bestselling watch brands has taken the unusual step of creating its first luxury watch, a skeleton tourbillon carrying a price tag of more than £1,000.

The push into the high-end watch market is a surprising move from the brand better associated with colourful, low cost crystal-set watches that sell on the high street for less than £100.

Only a small number of the watches have been made and the timepieces will only be sold through Marcus Watches on London’s Bond Street and online.

The new luxury timepiece from Sekonda is fitted with a 19-jewel hand-wound movement with a tourbillon complication, the calibre HS 2233, and has a retail price of £1,295. The watch is accurate to -10 / + 30 seconds per day, has a 40-hour power reserve and has a frequency of 28,800 vph.

The novelty is presented in a 48.5 mm case and a thickness of 11 mm. With its octagonal case the new watch is somewhat similar to the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak.

The timepiece has a three-piece stainless steel case that has been fitted with a high-density dust-proof silicon strap and the hands of the watch have been diamond cut and coated with superluminova. The Sekonda Tourbillon features a mineral caseback and has no dial so that the movement can also be observed through the sapphire glass face.

Welcome to Sekonda Watches

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Not wanting to be nasty, but that is what you can expect from a movement of this quality level..

On the previous post, somebody mentioned that you get a watch with the same movement for around 500$, if you shop wisely.
The case on this watch look far nicer than on those other Chinese Tourbillons.
No Breguet design stealing here, just AP/ Hublot.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I thought tourbillons were supposed to increase accuracy. That's dirt cheap for a tourbillon, but maybe the +30 a day shows why.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
When the tourbillon was designed it was intended to increase accuracy over existing movement technology at the time. However, modern movement advances have made the tourbillon obsolete from the standpoint of improving accuracy. It's true value is in its pleasing aesthetics and in its tribute to horological history. To my knowledge this is true even of Swiss tourbillons that cost from $40,000-$150,000. Many Chinese tourbillon movements are very high quality movements (as one would expect when paying this much for a Chinese movement). A lot of the cost of the tourbillon is the necessity hand building the movement (which can obviously be accomplished cheaper in China than in Switzerland). That said, not all tourbillon movements have equal reputations. Seagull is on the higher end of the spectrum, Liaoning and Hangzhou on the lower end.

What concerns me about this one is the price (over $2,000 dollars!), lack of water resistance (none is stated, 30m maybe?) and perhaps the movement (for this price).

This is overpriced for what it is, despite claims about it being affordable for a tourbillon. Yes, it is affordable compared to a Swiss tourbillon, but it is very expensive compared to its competition. At over $2,000 you would hope to see all the bells and whistles rolled out. Minorva and Android have put a number of well built tourbillons, the most expensive with automatic Seagull movements can still be had under $1,500. I do not know tourbillon movements well enough to tell you what movement the 'HS 2233' is. But at this price, I would hope to see the Seagull TY -802 automatic movement (which this clearly is not). If this does not fit with their skeleton plans, then at least a Seagull.

This also comes with a mineral crystal display back, which is clearly a cost cutting shortcut that did not need to be taken on an already expensive tourbillon.

Lack of water resistance is also a concern. On such a large piece, at this price, one would hope for 100m water resistance (a select few companies including Android have even done divers), but since nothing is stated on the website (and having only a mineral crystal display back) it is likely this is 30m at best and perhaps not even that.

To make matters worse, the strap options look limited to only what is attached or a custom made strap.

I think the design of the watch is quite attractive, even if an odd fusion of a skeleton with traditional and modern. The nod to the Royal Oak is appreciated. Another positive is with the company name being on the crystal, it would be possible to remove it for an attractive sterile dial look.

Overall, I think this one had potential that was wasted as the company cut corners and inflated prices in order to attempt to enhance its profit. If this had substantial water resistance, a top level movement, a sapphire crystal display back, and better lug treatment for strap options this could have been a winner even at this price. As it is, while unique stylistically, it is lacking compared to the better Chinese tourbillon offerings while it costs more.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Yes, that is a far more stylish piece.

·
Premium Member
23,128 Posts
Seagull USA quoted $2600 for this watch in June 2011, but he mentioned that the price was going up to above $3000 shortly after that.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
What is the typical accurancy of a Chinese watch ( without the Tourbillon) ? Maybe 30s/day is an improvement?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
What is the typical accurancy of a Chinese watch ( without the Tourbillon) ? Maybe 30s/day is an improvement?
Seagull would surprise you.....I have two that are much much better than the 30s/day mentioned.

Sent from my Microwave Popcorn Zapper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts