WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have a recommendation for a digital camera to use to get good close-ups?

I can see many excellent, really super, photos of watches here on this forum, and then flipped over, also finely-detailed close-ups of the movements.

I am using a Canon A410, only 3.2M pixels. I can get a good close-up with flash on. But the flash makes the picture quite bright, and over-emphasizes even the tiniest of defects (scratches). I am not exaggerating - when you look at the watch, it seems fine, you can see a couple of minor scratches, but under the camera flash - in the photo - the tiniest scratch looms horrendous. I like the Canon because everything else I take a photo of - books, people, sunsets - looks pretty good and sharp.

With the flash off, the image is always a little grainy or blurry, even when the camera is held perfectly still. And the works are also not precise enough in the photos.

I like the camera, I have used it for a decade I think, it takes great photos of everything - everything but watches.

Any suggestions for a good camera (I am a real cheapskate, Walmart is high-end for me, I shop at Salvation Army) for taking non-flash and clear close-ups?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Look for an older Nikon macro manual lens if you want to save $$..the Micro nikkor is great...
And use a tripod in natural light..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts