WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have inadvertently imposed some collecting rules on myself. When I say "inadvertently", what I mean is that I didn't sit down and come up with a list of rules, rather these rules just seem to exist without my thought or input, they are phantom unspoken rules. As an example, I have found that if I have too many watches I tend to flip more frequently. I think the reason for this is that the more watches I have the less I wear each watch and therefore the less I appreciate each individual watch. If I go a week or two without wearing a particular watch I will start to think about what I should replace it with, but when I put it on my wrist I fall in love with it again and wonder why on earth I would consider selling it. I therefore try to keep my collection limited in quantity so that I wear every watch each week. Right now I have 5, which is manageable for me, but I actually think I would be happier at 3 or 4. I just dont know how to pare down to that few so limit my collection to 5 or 6.

As a result of limiting my collection size, I have a silly rule that I can not have 2 watches with the same brand. I find that this rule is very annoying and I wish I didnt have it, but for some reason I cant get past it. I have an Aqua Terra that I am not willing to part with but I want to try a Speedmaster, of course cant seem to bring myself to owing both. Same thing with Sinn, I have an EZM 1.1 but want a 104 i. I have no problem with other forms of overlap, I am fine having multiple divers.

Does anyone else suffer from this dumb rule of brand variety? What self imposed rules do you have?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Rules are there to be broken!

Reactions: gossler

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think you need to go seasonal: put your five "winter watches" on a shelf in your closet and wear only your five "summer watches" until the seasons change. If that still feels too limiting, get a set of fall and spring watches.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I think you need to go seasonal: put your five "winter watches" on a shelf in your closet and wear only your five "summer watches" until the seasons change. If that still feels too limiting, get a set of fall and spring watches.
What is the winter and summer watches?
How they different one from another?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
My one rule is, Maximum one new watch per year. For the kost part I have honored this self imposed rule.

I think it’s silly to limit yourself to having one watch per brand. As I think you will be missing out.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
...I think it’s silly to limit yourself to having one watch per brand. As I think you will be missing out.
That “rule” comes up from time to time in WIS-dom. Silly IMHO as well - so you can’t have both a Sub and GMT Master II (guilty)? No Speedy if you have an AT? No Reverso if you have a MUT Moon? Yikes...

Reactions: gossler

·
Registered
549 Posts
I could never force myself to only have one watch per brand. Right now, my self imposed rule is...no more until I sell some off.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
I have inadvertently imposed some collecting rules on myself. When I say "inadvertently", what I mean is that I didn't sit down and come up with a list of rules, rather these rules just seem to exist without my thought or input, they are phantom unspoken rules. As an example, I have found that if I have too many watches I tend to flip more frequently. I think the reason for this is that the more watches I have the less I wear each watch and therefore the less I appreciate each individual watch. If I go a week or two without wearing a particular watch I will start to think about what I should replace it with, but when I put it on my wrist I fall in love with it again and wonder why on earth I would consider selling it. I therefore try to keep my collection limited in quantity so that I wear every watch each week. Right now I have 5, which is manageable for me, but I actually think I would be happier at 3 or 4. I just dont know how to pare down to that few so limit my collection to 5 or 6.

As a result of limiting my collection size, I have a silly rule that I can not have 2 watches with the same brand. I find that this rule is very annoying and I wish I didnt have it, but for some reason I cant get past it. I have an Aqua Terra that I am not willing to part with but I want to try a Speedmaster, of course cant seem to bring myself to owing both. Same thing with Sinn, I have an EZM 1.1 but want a 104 i. I have no problem with other forms of overlap, I am fine having multiple divers.

Does anyone else suffer from this dumb rule of brand variety? What self imposed rules do you have?
If it's any consolation, I have the same silly rule.

And YES, I do realize that rule is broken no less that four times in my collection, but that's only because I haven't yet sold the original watch that ended up being replaced by my second acquisition because I felt the second watch best served as my "one representative" for that brand. But they are all on the block to be sold. And for that matter, if another watch of that brand came along that was a "better match" for me, the current one from that brand would ultimately be sold.

And YES, I do realize that I am high-functioning insane.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I have a 10 watch case and once its full I'm going to impose a strict 1 in 1 out policy. I have 5 that I wear regularly so I'm half way there.

Aside from that anything goes. I Don't care about owning more than 1 of the same brand and I'm not really too fussed about having a "well rounded collection" either.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
There are many things in life that you own multiple pieces that come from a single brand. You wouldn't want to have a car with one tire from Goodyear on the left front, then Michellin on the right front, a BF Goodrich on the left rear on so on. Go get the Speedmaster or that 2nd Sinn and be happy; life is too short so live it to the fullest.:-!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Rules:
Limit to 12
Interesting, and/or in-house movements preferred
One per year

Reality:
Just added #13
Last bought was an IWC 7750 chrono
Second watch this year...its June

...so yeah. I was never much of a rule follower.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm only 6 months into watches-as-a-hobby, and my rules are pretty much based on what I know about myself and what I've learned from my watch-wearing over those six months. No one-per-brand rule at all, I'm more than happy to be a repeat customer. I did try a one-in-one-out rule, that didn't really work either. (Pocket watches don't have to live in the watch box, right? Sweet, just picked up 4 more spaces. :) )

So my 3 rules as of today:

1. All watches must have a use. Doesn't have to be frequent, but must be for a purpose. I don't have a dress watch as I don't dress formally even at work. Won't have a watch just to have it, must have some reason to be worn.

2. Date complication is a must. I have only one (DH 1963) without a date and it really only gets worn at home. I can never remember the date, and I'm working hard to avoid my phone.

3. No digital (with one exception). Even back in the 80's I preferred an analog watch. I have no problem with quartz (and even prefer it in many cases) but I like hands and not numbers. The one exception is a single G-Shock square that I use at the gym in the morning, and that's because the digital stopwatch is the right tool when I'm jogging.

Reactions: PJR

·
Registered
15,462 Posts
The only (current) rule I now impose on myself is to have 10 or less watches at any given time, past couple years has worked out fine, hopefully it continues indefinitely . . .

·
Registered
172 Posts
My rules are very simple. They can be automatic or hand winding. However, they MUST have the following two elements:

- Minute chapter
- Second hand (either center second or sub-second)

Well, I had been very successful in sticking by these rules until recently.

The first violation is the minute chapter. I broke my rule with this:

fullsizeoutput_c6d.jpeg

And the "second hand" rule was broken by this:

f4M2oUGSREyhjuc%bcV06w.jpg

All I can say is that I will not hesitate to break my rules again :)

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
What's the fun of a "hobby" if you've got to have rules? Of course all of us have personal preferences, but those aren't the same thing, though some apparently think they are.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I have 1 rule that's strictly enforced.

1. I have to wear the watch. If I don't wear it, it must be sold for a watch that will be worn, or something else all together.

·
Registered
Rolex datejust
893 Posts
My only rule is one watch per year. So I limit myself to one watch. For me it works as I can spend my money elsewhere as opposed to being tied up in so many watches.

So by next year if I had to get just one watch it would probably be a datejust, a submariner, or any watch that is a gada. A sinn 556i fits the bill and budget perfectly. Otherwise a cheap seiko diver works for me as well.

By being a one watch person I build stories with just one watch and most people recognize me for having just one watch even though most know me as a watch guy.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts