WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Should I sell the Rolex and get a Seamaster Pro 300?

• Yes. You'll wear it more and get more enjoyment from it

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • No. History has shown you'll just end up buying another one later

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • No. Save up, however long it takes, and get the SMP in ADDITION to the Datejust

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.1%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought myself a 2254 Seamaster Pro maybe 13 years ago. I liked it a lot, but wound up selling it for some dumb reason or other.

Decided I needed a high-end watch, bought one of the last of the 36mm Rolex Explorers.

The lack of a date kind of wrecked that for me. Sold it.

Bought an 80s Datejust. It was nice, but I felt like the winding was kind of high-effort for such a high-end watch, and I was always nervous about scratching the acrylic cyclops. Sold that.

Last year, I bought a modern Datejust. I like it. Smoother winding, sapphire crystal, better bracelet. BUT... I don't wear it as much as I used to wear my old SMP. Sometimes, I just feel like it's too flashy. It only gets worn maybe a day or two per month, and it is probably worth as much as the rest of my collection put together.

So now, I'm thinking back to my old 2254, how it was good for every occasion, was sleeve-friendly, etc. I always kind of wanted a Brosnan Bond SMP, but didn't like the stubby little hands. So now, I'm thinking of getting a SMP 300. They have longer hands now, a ceramic bezel and the co-axial escapement in the movement. The bracelets aren't as good as Rolex (not micro-adjustable) but it's just as nice in every other way. Besides, it would go well on NATO straps, so that does make up for it, I think.

If you were me, would you sell the Datejust and get the SMP?

I'm wearing the Datejust today and will wear it a week to help me decide, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

But honest, but not rude, please.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I feel watches that aren't being worn are a waste, they are meant to be used. On the other hand you can still enjoy owning a watch even if it gets no wrist time, but since we are here discussing this i think i think you feel the same way as i do.

If it was up to me I would get rid of it for something else.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
I wouldn’t sell the Rolex but it appears that strong doubt in your own mind leads you that way. The psychology of having high financial value and the fact it gets so little wrist time would lead practically anyone in that direction.
The thought of wearing it extensively for a minimum of a week should provide you an answer. Good on you for recognizing that an extended personal time might reignite any flame that once burned. Beautiful watch that looks great on your wrist.

·
Premium Member
17,778 Posts
Last year, I bought a modern Datejust. I like it. Smoother winding, sapphire crystal, better bracelet. BUT... I don't wear it as much as I used to wear my old SMP. Sometimes, I just feel like it's too flashy. It only gets worn maybe a day or two per month

I'm wearing the Datejust today and will wear it a week to help me decide, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.
I think your plan of wearing it for a solid week is an excellent idea. Nothing like fresh experience to make a clear-headed decision.

That said, I think you've already answered your own question.

Nothing wrong with the DJ (it's a beauty) but I think there are fewer occasions where it would be the better choice than the Omega. So if you're after versatility, I think it's an easy decision.

Pop Quiz: How many times was "I think" used in this post?

Yikes!

Reactions: MediumRB and Smaug

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Take your time. Then decide. If.the DJ no longer feels right, let it go. It's a substantial sum of.money tied in a watch that might be better spent on the SMC you could enjoy.more. I've flipped watches I found too loud, annoying or outright boring. I'm now in the process of flipping a couple more that I rarely wear as I'd rather get cash back to spend on a blue DJ41, believe it or not!

·
Registered
210 Posts
The ceramic seamaster SMP is lovely and the new models do have the micro adjust! If you're going to wear it more do it!

Also selling the DJ asauming you buy used on the SMP you will almost have enough cash left over for a vintage DJ as well!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I think that it's very possible for us to end up owning watches that are very nice, maybe dress type nice but deep inside we may realize they aren't us. So what is "us"? It must be something residing in the subconscious mind, perhaps an alter ego? At any rate it may well be that alter ego than has made the Rolex Sub and hundreds of thousands of homages of it popular world wide. My own life style has 'Field Watch' written all over it but what do I like? I've had more dress style watches than field types by far. After what must have been deep subconscious review of myself I slowly sold off all but one of my dressy watches and settle in with something similar to what you are aiming at.

This is what I have left.
11171.JPG

Now if you truly like the Rolex then maybe consider selling off whatever else you have that is hardly used and shoot for the SMP and the Date Just. That would make a fine pair of watches. It took me a while to get to the 2 in that picture but I'm cool with them being what I wear. There is no sorting through choices, I just use one or the other and I like them both the same.

That may have meaning. If you have 2 that you like equally. In that case both will be used and therefore justify themselves through that use. Otherwise, having one or 20 watches that are just sitting around because we can have them seems strange.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
For me, it's always about wrist time. Having a DJ that gets worn only occasionally is a waste. At the same time, I think the Datejust runs circles around the Omega.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why did you buy the Datejust? Be honest about it.
I felt like any well-rounded watch collection should have a Rolex. Their movement designs are good. The 3135 in this watch has very good winding efficiency, very good power reserve, very good accuracy, very good resistance to magnetism. (I'm an electrical/electronics engineer, so it might count for something, one day.) There's a certain amount of pride in owning a Rolex too, which I'm ashamed to say I'm not immune to. I like Roman numerals that are not radially flipped, and Rolex does a good job of them.

I'm kind of conflicted though, because it is known by some as a sport watch, as it is pretty rugged compared to something like a Piaget, Breguet or Patek Philippe. But then on the other hand, it's too flashy to really be a sports watch, right?

·
Banned
134 Posts
if when you say seamaster 300, you mean the SMPc then i say go for it. I had it, sold it for my speedy. probably gonna pick one up again soon. I legit regret selling my baby

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
There are a lot of really nice divers that can fill the need without having to spring for the SMP now. Keep the 116200 -- relatively rare, increasing in value, and a great watch around which to build a collection.

Reactions: Smaug

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Different Rolex. I think the dial is putting you off. Try something less stodgy, maybe just index markers (with lume!).

Reactions: Smaug

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
If you don't wear it enough sell it for something you will and you will be happier I sold my DJ years ago and sat on the funds till Rolex came out with the new Explorer and i had to have it so far it was the right move for me.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,705 Posts
I felt like any well-rounded watch collection should have a Rolex. Their movement designs are good. The 3135 in this watch has very good winding efficiency, very good power reserve, very good accuracy, very good resistance to magnetism. (I'm an electrical/electronics engineer, so it might count for something, one day.) There's a certain amount of pride in owning a Rolex too, which I'm ashamed to say I'm not immune to. I like Roman numerals that are not radially flipped, and Rolex does a good job of them.

I'm kind of conflicted though, because it is known by some as a sport watch, as it is pretty rugged compared to something like a Piaget, Breguet or Patek Philippe. But then on the other hand, it's too flashy to really be a sports watch, right?
It's a great everyday watch, sturdy enough for hanging out at the pool but nice-looking enough to match with a coat n' tie. I'd get one and wear it dressed down to blue jeans and dressed up to my suit. It fits in well at Sunday brunch in the summer, or just going to the office.

But almost none of your answer has any emotion to it. You mention pride, but that's just one word, and the rest of your answer is logic. That tells me you picked it up not because you loved it, but because someone (even if "someone" is "the collection of 'someones' on WUS and in the broader culture") said you should get one.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But almost none of your answer has any emotion to it. You mention pride, but that's just one word, and the rest of your answer is logic. That tells me you picked it up not because you loved it, but because someone (even if "someone" is "the collection of 'someones' on WUS and in the broader culture") said you should get one.
Part of that is that I'm an engineer. That's the way I think; most of the time. So I have a hard time changing my tune when I should allow myself some more emotion. It makes watch collecting hard for me. I'm always second-guessing myself when I do something for the gut. Always going back and analyzing it with my engineer's hat on. I analyze things, and I automatically go to technical features. I guess I need to make a different kind of checklist...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts