WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Stopped in my local AD in Guam today to try on a stainless Daytona. They only had the white one in stock and I want black, but I was completely blown away by it... Perfect size, everything about it was just awesome.

I currently own a 114060 as my only watch and was planning on buying either a black dial Daytona, or a steel AP Royal Oak as they are my two grails but now I am sold on the Daytona. I'm also a private pilot and will start racing cars again when I leave the service so the Daytona is the logical fit.

My question is do I sell my Sub and buy a new Daytona at the AD and remain a 1 watch guy? Or should I hold out and buy the Daytona when I leave the military in 2015 and have both?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hafa Adai!

The 116520 is due for the Ceramic treatment within the next couple of years so I would wait it out.
Oh god lol like I haven't heard that enough lately.

Honestly I don't know how I feel about a ceramic steel Daytona. I think the rose gold one with the brown dial and black bezel is hideous, steel might be a different story though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also with the way the Daytona is priced right now, I don't know if I could ever pay that much for a steel Rolex if/when it gets the ceramic treatment. Just look at the steel Yachtmaster II...

·
Registered
162 Posts
There is no version of the YM2 without a ceramic bezel. I think the daytona will be about 2500 euro more with a ceramic bezel if it comes in a ss version. There is not a TT version yet, so it might take a couple of years before they even might make one. I dont like the ceramic bezel on the daytona, if i would make the switch i would get the steel bezel version before it is too late.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would not feel comfortable having more than 9K tied up in an 116520 unless you know it's going to be a keeper. Pretty safe bet there will be a surge of mint SS Daytona safe queens getting dumped on the secondary when the new and improved is announced/released and that's never good for resale value.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not feel comfortable having more than 9K tied up in an 116520 unless you know it's going to be a keeper. Pretty safe bet there will be a surge of mint SS Daytona safe queens getting dumped on the secondary when the new and improved is announced/released and that's never good for resale value.
I know it will be a keeper, I bought my SubC secondhand from Govberg online, but I want the experience of walking into the Rolex boutique and buying in person for my next one.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Of course it's best to have both, but if you love the current Daytona, you might want to consider going with it before they change the design. I have my doubts about whether the inevitable ceramic version is going to be an improvement, especially if the size increases, so I picked up the current model while it's still available as a new watch and I'm very happy with it. It works in any situation.

I've had the Sub-C and still have the current Daytona, and I'd choose the Daytona if there could only be one, despite it having the less practical polished centre links. (Between the older GMTs and the Daytona, it would be a bit more difficult to choose.) I just prefer the old-school form of the 116520 compared to the redesigned sports cases, although the quality is top-notch either way. They're both no-excuses watches, it's just a matter of which one suits your personal style better, and I know which one works better for me.

Funny that you mention the APRO, as that's another favourite. I suspect that I'm still too much of a big kid for something that intricately finished at the moment, whereas the Daytona can put up with my lifestyle better. But one thing they have in common is that they can be worn from very casual to just short of full-on formal; there aren't many others that compare for versatility. I went with the 116520 first because it's something I could wear every without much stress. If you're flying planes and racing cars, a Daytona would certainly be a better choice than a Royal Oak as well. And there is no better chronograph movement for everyday use than the 4130.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts