WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to price a limited edition "used" watch and best places to sell (ebay, dealer?) I live in Switzerland and dont speak german.

Its a limited Blancpain 500 fathoms which is almost like new. Any other places to gt rid of watches (specific wtach meeeitngs setc. i am unaware of?)

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
my advise is to see what else is out there, in terms of selling venues (watch forums, consignment, auction houses)

personally, I wouldnt go the ebay/paypal route for something like a limited edition Blancpain, too many things could go wrong

on selling in a watch forum
. join and research the watch forum, get a feel of the people in the forum (are they trustworthy, knowledgable, etc)
. be a regular, contributing member, let them know who you are as well - a new person who wanted to sell a high priced item will be looked on with suspicion

on payment
. I would only take bank wire transfer - but even then, do your research on bank wire transfer scams (make sure it's an actual bank wire transfer, not a deposit)

if possible, do a little research on the potential buyer as well, ask for reference

besides this forum, there are a couple of other ones I would recommend:
rolexforum, mwrforum

I would strongly suggest taking a look at mwrforum, not a lot of members but the people there are pretty close-knit ... and a lot of them do have the cash

good luck with your sale ... damn, a Fifty Fathom Blancpain, I'm drooling already

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
With a high value and rare item like that and if you are not an experienced seller on eBay, I would absolutely avoid selling it yourself on eBay. As Ari.Seoul says, too many things can go wrong. Christie's or other similar auction house will take a commission but you will be guaranteed very good service. Alternatively, there are several online dealers of rare/valuable watches who can also sell your watch for you for a commission. For any watch worth more than 10,000 USD, I would pay the cost of a middleman (15-20%) for the peace of mind and to avoid the risks of selling it yourself. Good luck in finding a new home for a great watch! Remember to take some pictures so you can remember it :).

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I certainly wouldn't want to give an auctioneer 10-15% of any sale.
List it on watch forums and only sell to ppl. with references via bankwire or any other method you feel safe with.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The best place is to sell your watch through forums.

As 500 fathoms GMT and non-GMT limited edition watches were just released last year, they are still available as new in boutiques & ADs here in Asia and can be bought for a good discount if you have a close contact with the AD; so not sure if you could get a good price if you sell it in the short term, Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
nice ... there's a noticeable 'puddle' on my keyboard now

I didnt know about the 500 Fathom, thanks for the info

and is the OP's Blancpain the limited GMT version? (about 20~25k used)
imagine trying to pass that much money through paypal? those guys are going to have fits

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
ari.seoul said:
nice ... there's a noticeable 'puddle' on my keyboard now

I didnt know about the 500 Fathom, thanks for the info

and is the OP's Blancpain the limited GMT version? (about 20~25k used)
imagine trying to pass that much money through paypal? those guys are going to have fits
Precisely why I would leave something worth that much to a professional, the additional risk just isn't worth it. Plus whomever you hire will work harder for your commission, possibly getting you a higher price. However, selling to a well vetted buyer on one of the forums is probably your best alternative; just not a route I would choose, at least not without a lot more experience buying and selling on your part.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
for something that expensive, i would do the selling on the vicheron constantine/timezone/rolexforum/watchprosite where there are fairly close knit communities and sell to someone with a good number of posts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts