WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I have a small dilemma; I have been thinking of buying a gw 5000 but I already have too many resin G-shocks and am worried about resin rot. Would it be a bad idea to sell like 4 of my current g-shocks for a gw 5000? That way if I get resin rot I will have one rotting watch instead of 5? Also, many of the watches I currently own are older and replacement resins are hard to come by. If i buy a gw 5000 I'll definitely buy a replacement resin to go with!

I really have a thing for screw back g-shocks and almost all the g-shocks I would sell would be screwbacks such as; G-2000 (Japan Model), Giez g-1000 (Japan Model), Casio 9600 WCCS (dyed green and hydromoded). I would also consider selling my gwm-5610 because it practically has the same module as the g-5000. I am just thinking that this would be a lot to sacrifice for one watch. Although, on the bright side it would bring me closer to becoming a "one watch guy". Would anyone that owns a gw-5000 think that this is a worthy sacrifice? Should I just enjoy the watches I have and forget the gw-5000?

All responses welcome!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
are the ones you have will be rotted at the same time ? NO

one rotted Gshock is better than 5 (rotted), so 0 rotted is better than 1 => why bother? get a Mr-G instead

I don't own a 5000, but I think you should sell your collection and give whoever give you advice in this thread 50% discount, thanks

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
First of all, there is no such thing as "too many resin G-shocks"

And Yes, The 5610 and the 5000 have the same module. (3159)

Keep everything, don't sweat what might happen years from now. Enjoy what you have...

and then go order the 5000 anyway. It's a great modern/retro G that any screwback collector should have.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are the ones you have will be rotted at the same time ? NO

one rotted Gshock is better than 5 (rotted), so 0 rotted is better than 1 => why bother? get a Mr-G instead

I don't own a 5000, but I think you should sell your collection and give whoever give you advice in this thread 50% discount, thanks
Haha, I already own 4 MR-G's. It is nice to wear a resin watch once in while because I don't need to worry about scratching it while playing sports and what not : )

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but i don't have the money lying around for one. :( I still feel like I should sell something. I try to wear all my watches but its getting harder and harder to get around to them all with the rate my collection is growing at!

Do you think the price will ever go down or should I grab one before it is too late?

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Do you think the price will ever go down or should I grab one before it is too late?
well, they've released at least 2 batches, as they scared the dickens out of a bunch of us when the supply got tight last spring and then the supply improved and I was able to get one. They aren't gonna produce them forever, but they are still available. They turn up on f29 occasionally at reasonable prices pre-owned as well. But the 5000B supply is real tight and those go for big money.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
What is f29? And the 5000B satands for the black, which is the reverse display, correct?
F29 is the sales forum section of WUS. Yes, GW-5000B was a limited run version with neg display, DLC coated pushers and DLC coated buckle. It also came in different packaging.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
One of the reasons I love the GW-5000 so much is that its resin is easily replaceable. I recently installed a DW-5600e resin on mine simply because I could: the lettering faded after a summer of hard use, but it's otherwise in good condition. Now, whether the GW-5000 will satisfy your criteria for a "one" watch remains up to you. I think that if I were to let go of almost all my watches, the GW-5000 would remain. It satisfies my criteria for the "one": it is accurate, comfortable, subdued yet bold in style, a modern interpretation of the first G-shock. Comfort is very important to me. I've let go of more expensive watches because of that one criterion. The GW-5000 has a little heft that I like due to the screwback case but I can wear it and forget about it. Slip this watch on the wrist and it definitely feels like a quality piece, yet to the casual observer it looks like a "walmart watch," according to my friend who's not as horologically savvy.

So, don't worry about resin for the GW-5000. I believe there will be no shortage of spare resin parts available for it in the future. I also recommend just splurging on the GW-5000 if you can; worry about the details later. I bought mine on a whim -- and initially didn't even like it -- but it has for the past couple of months become my constant favorite.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
I have been selling my collection and stopped buying new G-Shock models ever since I got my GW-5000.
Maybe because the GW-5000 was my first G-shock, it's had the reverse effect for me: I've been slowly trying out other models. Unfortunately, in my opinion, they don't stack up against the GW-5000. A close contender would be the DW-5600e, but only because it's affordable and light by comparison. I recently got a DW-6900 in red and orange accents. Too flashy for me. My sister snatched it up and now it's her daily wear lol (she says she gets a lot of compliments on it. No one's ever complimented by GW-5000, not that I'm complaining). I still want a watch with a splash of color, but I guess I'm a more low-key guy by nature.

DW6900gw5000.jpg

Contrasting pieces

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Are there multiple varieties of the gw 5000? Like an older and a new version? I keep seeing ones that sell for post 300 on Rakuten and others that sell for sub 300? I know that it first came out in 2007 and that there was a rerelease in 2012 ish?

Is there a difference between the two? Which one should I get? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
AFAIW, only three versions of GW5000's have been produced. GW5000, GW5000B and GWT5030. The B has the negative display with PVD buttons and buckle. The T5030 is limited titanium case for the 30th anniversary. It has gold letters, and caseback. Rose gold metal strap keeper, buttons and buckle. The display is reflective light gold.

I have the regular and the B. And I think the regular one is worth the price. The B price is subjective to each collector which is worth for me. Get a spare bezel and resin and enjoy it. With DLC on the case back, it won't get scratched as easy as the SS one.

uploadfromtaptalk1381251190736.jpg

Note: I have a composite bracelet on the GW5000B. The factory one comes with a resin band with PVD buckle.
uploadfromtaptalk1381251229813.jpg

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
In my opinion, selling off G-Shocks -- especially ones that you like -- because the resin MIGHT rot is like a car collector selling off his collection because the tires will eventually wear out.

Tires are meant to wear out, and bezels are designed to be replaced, which is why they're relatively inexpensive when the watch first comes out. In a perfect world, Casio would keep making replacements for 100 years, but as we've seen in other threads, there's at least a couple of people already experimenting (and making!) replacement bezels with a 3D printer.

From what I've read here, Casio also addressed the issue of resin rot at some point, and changed the chemical composition of their resin so newer models shouldn't be as affected as those early ones. I'm not sure if your current watches were before or after that change, though.

I look at bezels as a sort of reactive armor or (ablative armor) for G-Shocks. They get scraped up instead of the crystal, they take a few big hits and keep some of the impact from reaching the module, and when they get too damaged to do the job (or if people think "battle scars" are too ugly) it's time to replace them!

If you're enjoying the ones you have, by all means, keep them and wear them! :-!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have enjoyed all my G-Shocks and I have come to realize that I like my gwm 5610 the most right next my 5200c. I think selling everything and buying a gw 5000 would put my two favorite watches together in one. Allowing me to sell the rest.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Eventually, CASIO does retire bezels for G-Shock models. For example, they had bezels for the vintage 5600C available up until around 2008. They discontinued them because that model was very old and of a slightly different shape from modern 5600 watches. It wasn't worth it for them to keep the die around, given the low demand.

The modern 5600 and 6900 has many model variants. MANY. There will always be a black version, for as long as CASIO makes this model line. So, there's no shortage of bezels to worry about.

Now, with obscure models that have been retired, there will come a day when resin is scarce. For example, the G-7800 was out for a few years and then discontinued. CASIO still has the bezels available, but I suspect that at the 10 year mark, they'll stop making them. For people owning that model, it might be a good idea to snatch up a few extra bezels just in case. But since it's not a "rugged" design, more for street wear, the bezels will likely last a very, very long time. A spare is less than $4, which is well worth it.

For vintage models where bezels are no longer being made and the resin is of an older formulation that may suffer from resin rot, the best thing is to shrink wrap the spare bezel and keep it in a cool dry place. It should last well past the time when the owner decides to sell the watch.

Anyway... not to beat a dead horse, but I'd not sell of G-Shocks due to fear of resin rot. I hope your fear has been alleviated. ;-)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I wouldn't sell my watches out of fear of resin rot either. That being said I would sell them and just keep a GW-5000, which I did, and I then sold my GW-5000s and kept the T5030. So if you want to slim down the square collection the GW-5000 is a good watch to do it with.

As mentioned above there are three variations GW-5000/GW-5000B/GW-T5030. With the GW-5000 some of the later production runs use a blueish solar cell while most of the older production ones use a purpleish solar cell. Some of the newer production runs also have purpleish cells. I think the blueish ones look better but you won't until you get it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts