WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

· Registered
G-Shock Square G-5600E
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do love my watches, but the more I see of some of the Smartwatches (not Apple), the more I wonder if I should sell off my watches and buy a Smartwatch. They seem to have so many features, many I don't need.

I've been researching such a watch for my son who is hearing impaired. He needs a watch with an alarm that has a vibrational alarm feature since he can't hear the alarm. The more I see them, the more attractive they seem.

What do you think?

PS Looking at Garmin at present

· Registered
35,833 Posts
The only smartwatch worth having is Apple.

There is a reason AW outsells all other watches of all types combined.

· Registered
11,663 Posts
It really doesn't have to be an either/or question, unless you make it so. While I wouldn't waste my own money on an electronic watch, I can see that it does have many practical uses, so, if it were me, and I simply had to get a "smart"(?) watch, I would get one, but I would also keep my "dumber" alternatives. (And actually, of course AW doesn't/didn't out sell ALL other watches COMBINED--word of mouth tends to embellish upon each retelling--as the statistics in circulation did not include a HUGE number of "affordables" (Casio, Citizen, Seiko, and other Asian brands, no German, Russian and other brands and locations, as well...)

· Registered
9,776 Posts
That isn't accurate. They only sold about 50% more than the Swiss alone. Incredible numbers but not nearly as significant as you suggest.

· Registered
66 Posts
Would you have to sell them all? There are plenty of affordable options and tons if preowned options that you could get for not much.
My opinion: find a trusted used option and try the experience, keep the watches you love, and you can always sell the used one for about what you paid for it if it doesnt work for you or your son. Then, the door is still open if you make the decision to sell out and buy a new one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
468 Posts
Sounds like a good option for your son given his hearing challenges.

More generally, I look at smartphones differently. The question is not; does this do more useful things than my watch? Rather it is; does this do more useful things than my phone ?

On that basis I’m not sure it brings anything to the table that is of interest to me. As I see it, a smart watch is a less useful equivalent to my phone; less useful as the much smaller screen precludes so much. I’m not hooked on social media, so the marginal benefit of viewing alerts or messages by shooting a cuff , rather than taking phone out of pocket, is inconsequential.

Meanwhile, the smart watch shares all the weaknesses of a smart phone, which become more acute in the context of a watch; battery life alone negates usefulness imho, not least as the weakness of phones in this regard is a key reason for having a separate watch to begin with.

More subjectively, smart watches are imho just lacking in style or, dare I say it, cool. I’ve worked in technology for decades and am as geeky as the next guy for new computing gadgets; but they are rarely stylish. Apple make some of what I consider to be rare exceptions such as the Mac book air; but to my eyes at least, a small computer strapped to the risk is never going to be stylish - neither elegant nor rugged.

· Registered
1,370 Posts
I'm do not know how old you son is, but depending on age and level of activity, a Smart Watch may not be the best solution?

Casio makes a vibrating sports watch with 100m water resistance: https://www.casio.com/products/watches/sports/w735h-1av

As for your own watches, remember that an Apple watch purchased today will be worthless in a few years as newer ones come out. And the batteries do not last forever.

· Premium Member
17,755 Posts
The only smartwatch worth having is Apple.

Only if you subscribe to the rest of the Apple ecosystem.
If you don't have a relatively recent iPhone, you are SOOL.

Plenty of other options available with lots of style and feature choices if you don't have an iPhone, or aren't enamoured of the look...

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
So many watches, So little time...

· Registered
92 Posts
The OPs reason are mainly for family requirements, so has a different perspective to my purchase of a Samsung smart watch two years ago.
I found sites and apps whereby i could download or design various faces ie. Breitling, Rolex, Tag etc you get the idea, i bought various straps to suit the various faces. On the whole it was fun, but not like a real watch, i subsequently sold it and put the funds towards another "real" watch purchase.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

· Registered
11,917 Posts
Not that many mechanical watches have alarms, some do, but the choice is limited. However if you don't much like mechanical watches, and want to wear a smartwatch you can presumably lend to your son (not clear who a new smartwatch is for? ) then go for it!

· Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
11,977 Posts
I don't see why you need to sell anything unless you really want most expensive garmin and your collection is 100$ per piece. No offence.
Smartwatches are neat and you can live with one as your primary watch. Garmin is totally standalone piece so there is far more in having it as your only watch.
there are these which in "watch" mode can live up to month and one week is totally within a reach.
I don't see any problem putting them to charge overnight once in 3-7 days.
There is Casio on sale now and it had dual screen so your watch is always on without heavy taxing of resources by main screen.
that kinda addresses the only issue i have with my Samsung.
Watch Dive computer Diving equipment Stopwatch Technology

customization is limitless
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

· Premium Member
24,334 Posts
The choice of a smart watch is highly dependent on the type of smart phone you use. It doesn’t really made sense to choose anything but an Apple Watch if you use an iPhone, for example. Conversely, if you have an Android phone, then an Apple Watch makes absolutely no sense.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you will probably want to upgrade your smart watch every few years, because of advances in hardware and continued software support, so take that into account when deciding how much to spend on one.

I tend to buy the previous generation Apple Watch when it goes on sale after the release of the new version, as it still gives me about two years of useful life, while being about 50% or more off the original price.

· Registered
459 Posts
I agree. Pick a watch that matches your current phone OS.

Gamin is solid if you are training but for others, I would suggest the Amazfit Bip, Huawei GT or Protrek WSD, among others. There are advantages to synchronized calendars and reminders, call notification and answering, reconfigurable displays, and even GPS when you need it. I have never dropped my Smartwatch while checking a text or looking at a Google Keep list while carrying luggage through the airport.

Until solar/body-thermal battery charging becomes wide spread, periods of use can be limiting at times. Otherwise, why not spend about $150 and give it a shot?

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
24,334 Posts
I’ve seen kids at my son’s elementary school have an Apple Watch with LTE in lieu of having a smart phone, so that they can keep in touch with their parents without having the distraction of a smart phone. I use my Apple Watch with my Bluetooth earbuds while walking, as it can store a portion of my playlist without having to bring the phone.

Reactions: civiclx

· Registered
9,776 Posts
Fitbit (14 million) plus G-shock (8 million) adds up to more than Apple(18 million) unit sales. That's just the first 2 brands I queried.
AW sold almost 31 million units in 2019 (22 in 2018) and outsold the Swiss (21 million 2019) by about 50%. In any event, a LOT more than 31 million dumb watches were sold in 2019. I see that increasing sharply over the years considering over 1.5 BILLION smart phones were sold in 2018, that seems to have leveled off in the last 4 years.

· Registered
2,851 Posts
If I remember right, the news said that AW sold more than all the Swiss brands. That is a really different and smaller number (even production numbers).

AW sold almost 31 million units in 2019 (22 in 2018) and outsold the Swiss (21 million 2019) by about 50%. In any event, a LOT more than 31 million dumb watches were sold in 2019. I see that increasing sharply over the years considering over 1.5 BILLION smart phones were sold in 2018, that seems to have leveled off in the last 4 years.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.