WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With some trepidation, I have agreed to sell a watch to a guy in Singapore (I'm in the U.S.A.).

Having read too many horror stories of watches getting "lost" in Singapore mail and/or customs, I'm looking for ideas that would maximize the likelihood that he actually receives the watch, in good shape. And so that, I can prove that I did actually send that watch, in that condition, if it does go missing in transit.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
I just sent one (a few days ago), USPS, EMS, insured. I had no idea Singapore was such a problem area WRT shipping.

/crosses fingers

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
I've mailed many packages of all sizes to Singapore in my business, through USPS and haven't had a single problem. In fact, I mail packages all over the world and Singapore seems like one of the better systems? It's my understanding that Singapore is one of the safer places to visit and I guess I'd be surprised to find that their postal system has problems?

·
Registered
79 Posts
yeah agree with some of the other posters, ive shipped a lot to singapore and never had a single problem. its not some dodgy hole.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Horror stories of SG customs? I'd double check my sources. I order from US quite frequently and i've never had an issue.

And yes, i'm in SG.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
singapore has a better standard of living than the usa.

just use fedex and you're fine.

May I ask: are these stories substantiated?
In my view, Singapore is not some 3rd world country.
I'd just like to know if there is any substance to such rumors. I myself find it hard to believe.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help. I'll look into FedEx for this, particularly how they work insurance.

I'm not picking on Singapore particularly; it's easy to find horror stories about shipping valuables into just about any country. I'm not fond of any transaction involving customs on a shipped item, be it U.S. Customs or some other country's. If the watch goes missing somewhere in the chain, I have a large headache, which I really don't need.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'm from Singapore and I live in Singapore. Other than watches, I order other stuff online as well such as clothes, toys and dvd's and I receive all of them in good order.. No lost mail whatsoever. Its my understanding that our local postal provider is one of the best and are pretty efficient. I've had no problems with them or having my orders lost. To be safe, always deliver items with tracking. Of coz, if the buyer or seller wants extra confidence and security, they can always opt for higher end mail service such as FedEx, UPS or DHL..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi,

I stay in Singapore and since NOV, I have purchased watches from WUS. So far, I m a very happy buyer from the purchases I had made.

It took roughly abt 7-10days for USPS to deliver the watch. It takes a bit longer sometimes, but so far, I managed to receive it.

Before we went ahead, I will provide all the reference for the seller to do a background check on me, and vice versa, same for me too. Example, company email, my Accounts in other forums ... Etc.

After which, I usually paid full in advance including the shipping fee. I will receive a tracking number and an email from the seller.

Hope that this will help you on your smooth transaction.
:)

Ivan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Yup! Singapore is just like hong kong. If hing kong postal is ok. I don't think Singapore one has any problem.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
I just sent one (a few days ago), USPS, EMS, insured. I had no idea Singapore was such a problem area WRT shipping.

/crosses fingers
Yes, I just went through the same thing shipping to Singapore via USPS. It had to be Express; I packed it in a box, and then put it in the envelope. Total cost was around $35. I had to fill out a bunch of forms and it took about an hour. But she said that it was the best way to get it to Singapore safely. Then the USPS lady said that Italy was even harder to ship to.

I hope that it gets to him safely, but in the future, all my sales are going to be CONUS only. Yes, that may make me seem like a jerk, but I think it keeps everyone involved safer and the process simpler.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
singapore has a better standard of living than the usa.

just use fedex and you're fine.
Yeah, but their climate is horrible. Hot and humid every day of the year? I'd sooner move to Alaska. But yeah, I might end up moving to Singapore in the next couple of years. I'm hoping not; I know that gum is a big thing over there (my buddy, who is Singaporean, said he had his gum confiscated once and never tried to get it again), so I can't imagine anyone looks favorably upon smoking. Oh, I'm a smoker, in case you were wondering why that matters to me.

·
Premium Member
32,366 Posts
Never had any issues shipping to or receiving from Singapore. I do agree with the above post, that Italy is interesting to ship to. That destination will test your postal nerves for sure........

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, I just went through the same thing shipping to Singapore via USPS. It had to be Express; I packed it in a box, and then put it in the envelope. Total cost was around $35. I had to fill out a bunch of forms and it took about an hour. But she said that it was the best way to get it to Singapore safely. Then the USPS lady said that Italy was even harder to ship to.

I hope that it gets to him safely, but in the future, all my sales are going to be CONUS only. Yes, that may make me seem like a jerk, but I think it keeps everyone involved safer and the process simpler.
It took you an hour to fill out the forms? Seriously?

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
It took you an hour to fill out the forms? Seriously?
Well, the whole ordeal took an hour and ten. That's 8 minutes drive time each way, filling out the wrong forms, waiting in line, being told I had the wrong forms, being told that I can't ship the way I had packaged the watch, finding the right way to ship it, getting the forms, filling out the forms, repacking the watch, and all that stuff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, the whole ordeal took an hour and ten. That's 8 minutes drive time each way, filling out the wrong forms, waiting in line, being told I had the wrong forms, being told that I can't ship the way I had packaged the watch, finding the right way to ship it, getting the forms, filling out the forms, repacking the watch, and all that stuff.
ok wrong forms and wrongly packaged..that makes sense...but now you know how to fill out the forms and pack, it will be much much quicker id imagine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts