WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just acquired a brand new watch with a Sellita SW200-1 movement.

I found it was very difficult to hand wind the movement to get it started. A lot of force needed by my fingertips just to grip the crown as I turned it.

Do I have a bad movement? I've already contacted the company about this problem and it's still under warranty. But just wanted your opinions on this movement and my perceived problem. It shouldn't be that hard to wind a watch!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Could be a movement issue, could be as simple as a tight / binding crown seal. How does time setting feel?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 2 watches with that same movement, and they’re effortless and really smooth to wind. You might want to send that watch back to have it checked.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Mine had the common reversing wheels issue and it did make the winding stiffer. Does the rotor spin when you're winding it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I had an Oris Aquis and it was smooth as butter to manually wind. I’ve contacted the company.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
There shouldn't be any binding or require "force" while winding however these as with the eta has a little feedback when winding, you may even hear what sounds like a light scratching sound and that's normal, it's the winding wheel interacting with the wheels on the auto bridge. Not what I would call smooth as butter though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be a movement issue, could be as simple as a tight / binding crown seal. How does time setting feel?
Setting it seems smooth. Date sets smooth too. But because it’s hard to wind, it’s difficult to screw the crown back down after setting the time.
I just sent an email to the company.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There shouldn't be any binding or require "force" while winding however these as with the eta has a little feedback when winding, you may even hear what sounds like a light scratching sound and that's normal, it's the winding wheel interacting with the wheels on the auto bridge. Not what I would call smooth as butter though.
It takes Darth Vader Force to turn it! I’m sending it back to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
It takes Darth Vader Force to turn it! I’m sending it back to get it fixed.
For sure that's too much even on small crown watches it shouldn't be that hard. Actually sounds like a loose plate or broken staff causing binding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I own a watch with this movement as well and compared to other watches I own I have noticed it does feel a little bit tighter to turn, but the watch has functioned well in the few years I have had it and averages +6 sec/day. I have read reports online of the SW200 and the ETA 2824 being prone to ratchet wheel issues caused by hand winding. The SW200-2 supposedly fixed it but my rule of thumb has been to only wind until the movement starts and then let the rotor do the rest.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry you're having such problems. I have a bunch of SW200-1s, and I find them to be just fine, but they're wonky little machines. My solution after having a similar problem is to hand wind just long enough to get it running, then do the shake thing, and then go off on your way. In other words, don't be married to a lot of hand-winding. They're good movements, but they don't seem to like a lot of hand-winding - which is funny, since you can practically run over a 2824 with a lawn mower and they just keep on percolating.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts