WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DW-004 that needs a new battery. I changed out the battery in my old 6900 the other day without too much trouble. Turns out the screw driver I used is too big to open the 004. Should I send it back to Casio and let them change it or try to buy an even smaller set of screwdrivers and try it myself? Anybody sent one back to Casio? Is is affordable? How long does it take? If I am going to fix it myself, can anyone recommend a screwdriver set? Also needs a new band. Where could I order a band for the 004 from? Sorry for all the questions. I am just excited by my new obsession. Now excuse me while I go stare at my new GX-56.

·
Registered
101 Posts
1. Yea I'd recommend buying your own set, they're not expensive, and probably worth it if you've got a handful of watches or don't trust your local watch repairer.
2. No
3. No idea
4. No idea
5. I have a nice Stanley set in a yellow case
6. Order one from Casio parts, else check eBay

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Basically, you only need a Philips size 00 screwdriver. In addition, a plastic tweezer and a spring bar tool are nice to have.
Those velcro straps like seen in your sig can be had at tiktox for example, but you can also put a 24 mm NATO/ZULU strap through the adaptors or get one of the 2 piece straps.

Have fun and welcome to the downward spiral... :)

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Absolutely, under no circumstance, please don't send it back to Casio for a simple battery change!!!

Look, the only person in the world that cares about your watch the way you do - is YOU. Buy a few simple tools and then you're self sufficient for life. There are plenty of instructions/tutorials on this forum on how to change a battery, and even some good videos on YouTube showing you how.

Changing a battery is daunting for many if they've never done it before, but as someone who's been opening watchbacks for over 30 years, nothing will give you more satisfaction on a job well done. In addition to the above list of stuff, you may like to buy a small jar of watch gasket silicon grease so you cam moisturise your watch seal whilst the back is off, keeping everything nice & watertight.

If you can tie a shoelace, you can change your own battery...

Reactions: xevious

·
Registered
218 Posts
I actually bought a decent set of screwdrivers at our local Dollar Store --- for a Dollar.
As long as you don't 'overuse' the screwdrivers on their intended purpose --- small screws -- you'll be fine.
I've never twisted any of the screwdrivers. Just my opinion. I'd rather spend a buck than send it back for a simple battey change!!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
[...] In addition to the above list of stuff, you may like to buy a small jar of watch gasket silicon grease so you cam moisturise your watch seal whilst the back is off, keeping everything nice & watertight.
I've always wondered; is replacing the rubber seal/gasket necessary, and does grease actually do anything? I use TriFlow on my flashlights, I wouldn't have a clue what to use on a watch gasket.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I've always wondered; is replacing the rubber seal/gasket necessary, and does grease actually do anything? I use TriFlow on my flashlights, I wouldn't have a clue what to use on a watch gasket.
I'm not familiar with TriFlow, but I'm guessing it would work. The primary objective is to keep the gasket nice & supple, that will maintain it's waterproof properties. If it dries out, it will shrink, and not be in any type of position to do it's job...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I am trying to round up all the tools right now. I have one of the yellow Stanley sets. The one I have is what I used to fix the 6900 but it is too big for the DW-004. I looked at Tiktox and they had the band. I am having a little trouble finding a site in the US to buy one from. May have to end up with a Zulu.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If you just need a strap, i have 4 of those velcro straps that i will never wear. They are all used, but ok.two are dark blue nylon with light blue elastic velcro, obne is lmedium blue nylon with grey stripes and one is like the one pictured in your signature, but the base colour is blue and teh backing is grey witrh a grey and a white stripe.

this is no sale ad, i will donate any of teh straps to anyone willing to cover actual p&p - just to lazy to put them up in the donation thread until now...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any idea what it would cost to ship to the US? I have never bought anything from overseas before. I have a friend who would love one also. We both bought ours at the same time and they are both dead.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree, learn to do it yourself, you'll be glad you did.
My go-to screwdriver for my Gs is a Husky I got at Lowes.
it has interchangeable tips (one is phillips 0) Amazon.com: Husky Precision Screwdriver Kit: Sports & Outdoors
I have been happy with it. I use silicone grease on my gaskets, just rub on a light coat.
I think I got it at Radio Shack
I have ordered bands from the Casio parts dealer in NY, but ebay is cheaper if you can find your band:
Casio watch band DW-004, DW-9052, DW-9051,G-2200,G-2210 | eBay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts