WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
Just wondering if anyone has experiences on sending their Grand Seiko watch to Grand Seiko for service yourself or through an AD as liaison that help sent it in.
Bought a SBGA229 from someone so obviously my name isn't on the warranty booklet. Now the watch has an issue where the crown won't screw in. So not sure if GS going to honor the warranty or not.
AD said they can help me send it in but I don't know if they would up charge me more than what Grand Seiko service would charge me. They already want to charge me $45 to send to GS and another $45 to send to me.

If anyone had experience with any and would like to share your experience and price for the service I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
994 Posts
At least here in Canada, since about two years ago Seiko want the customer to pay for shipping even if it is going thru the AD for in-warranty service.

Me I just drop it off at Seiko myself (as I have no relationships with any ADs currently in business locally). After servicing they will mail it back to my home address.

If the crown won't screw in they might have to rebuild the crown tube. It'll most likely have to go back to Japan. Could be gone for months.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here in the UK I took mine to a Seiko service centre and they posted it to Japan. The first time was a few years ago and they didn't know what GS were. A couple of years ago I sent a quartz and they seemed to know exactly what to do when a GS comes in i.e. get it to Japan asap!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At least here in Canada, since about two years ago Seiko want the customer to pay for shipping even if it is going thru the AD for in-warranty service.

Me I just drop it off at Seiko myself (as I have no relationships with any ADs currently in business locally). After servicing they will mail it back to my home address.

If the crown won't screw in they might have to rebuild the crown tube. It'll most likely have to go back to Japan. Could be gone for months.
Geez, hope it won't be that long. This watch was just sold September of last year. Crown shouldn't be stripped so quick like this. I've contacted Grand Seiko service and they said don't send it in until they reopen. They don't even have a reopen date yet.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here in the UK I took mine to a Seiko service centre and they posted it to Japan. The first time was a few years ago and they didn't know what GS were. A couple of years ago I sent a quartz and they seemed to know exactly what to do when a GS comes in i.e. get it to Japan asap!
I just hope GS service here in US can just fix it there and not sending it oversea :(

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I agree with sticky

Hand it into the AD and let them deal with it. Even if it costs you that much in shipping.

According to my Grand Seiko AD, it does not matter if the warranty has somebody else's name on the warranty. All that matters is that the warranty is good in the USA (i.e. bought from a USA AD and not a Japan AD) and that you have the warranty booklet. They will not honor a warranty without that booklet. So if you are going to send the watch to a GS AD then first make a copy of the warranty booklet for your records and then send the booklet with the watch.

If you don't have a local AD then contact one of Watchuseek's forum sponsors (like Topper Jewelers or Little Treasury Jewelers) and get it off to them

I would not think it would need to go back to the mother ship (Japan) for a crown or crown tube

However if it does then expect it to take forever to get done as not much is getting in or out of Japan right now

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with sticky

Hand it into the AD and let them deal with it. Even if it costs you that much in shipping.

According to my Grand Seiko AD, it does not matter if the warranty has somebody else's name on the warranty. All that matters is that the warranty is good in the USA (i.e. bought from a USA AD and not a Japan AD) and that you have the warranty booklet. They will not honor a warranty without that booklet. So if you are going to send the watch to a GS AD then first make a copy of the warranty booklet for your records and then send the booklet with the watch.

If you don't have a local AD then contact one of Watchuseek's forum sponsors (like Topper Jewelers or Little Treasury Jewelers) and get it off to them

I would not think it would need to go back to the mother ship (Japan) for a crown or crown tube

However if it does then expect it to take forever to get done as not much is getting in or out of Japan right now
Thanks, looks like sending to GS AD first and let them look at it before sending to GS Service center.
They did mentioned GS Service center is currently closed until next month at the earliest to even receive watches for repair.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
the crown tube was designed to be easily replaceable at service according to advertising that I've seen.
Id hope that they have the parts in NJ.
Mines due for a service and crown tube replacement as well.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yea not sure about now.

In the old days I've read one member with a MM300 crown that wouldn't screw in, and Seiko told him it needs to go back to Japan for a new crown tube.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the crown tube was designed to be easily replaceable at service according to advertising that I've seen.
Id hope that they have the parts in NJ.
Mines due for a service and crown tube replacement as well.
Hope so, I don't want the watch to be out of commission for months. :/

·
Registered
627 Posts
The mm300 crown tube is welded in place and cannot be replaced. This is a common feature of most watches, including the high end prospex. The only high end Seiko watch that I have ever heard had an actual stripped crown tube - without some sort of concussive shock - was the mm300. Obviously the more economical Seikos might have this more often. This the fact that prospex crown tubes are not replaceable at all shouldn’t be a valid fear.

However, all grand Seiko’s (and the new LX series) with screw down crowns have a crown tube that is screwed into the case body instead of welded, so they all can be replaced at service time. I bet Seiko USA service can perform this repair. They would order parts from japan and repair in NJ.

I would send through your AD because their $45 cost will be cheaper than you sending it insured yourself. This is because they use their jewelers risk policy to insure the shipping, which is more economical. Its also a good way to become familiar with your AD so you have that contact next time you want to buy a GS.

Yea not sure about now.

In the old days I've read one member with a MM300 crown that wouldn't screw in, and Seiko told him it needs to go back to Japan for a new crown tube.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The mm300 crown tube is welded in place and cannot be replaced. This is a common feature of most watches, including the high end prospex. The only high end Seiko watch that I have ever heard had an actual stripped crown tube - without some sort of concussive shock - was the mm300. Obviously the more economical Seikos might have this more often. This the fact that prospex crown tubes are not replaceable at all shouldn’t be a valid fear.

However, all grand Seiko’s (and the new LX series) with screw down crowns have a crown tube that is screwed into the case body instead of welded, so they all can be replaced at service time. I bet Seiko USA service can perform this repair. They would order parts from japan and repair in NJ.

I would send through your AD because their $45 cost will be cheaper than you sending it insured yourself. This is because they use their jewelers risk policy to insure the shipping, which is more economical. Its also a good way to become familiar with your AD so you have that contact next time you want to buy a GS.
Thanks, awaiting GS service to reopening so I could send in to AD

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
MattMartin...... goo points, thx.
Hopefully service will open soon, be a good reason for me to visit AD.

•• sent by two turn tables and a microphone ••

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just to set expectations... a friend who also has a sbga005 here in North America has had it awaiting service in Japan for 3 months prior to CV shutdowns... it will be well over 6 months by the time he gets it back ...yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
994 Posts
Seiko must have forgot to update their servicing capacity to meet their increased production volume and aggressive marketing activity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts