WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted this in another brand specific forum but thought it is probably better suited to this general watch discussion forum.

Has anyone purchased a watch from an AD but had it delivered to a hotel they are staying at which is located in a different city to the dealer? I am travelling to the US this week and am considering this as an option. Would I need to sign for it myself or would someone in reception be able to sign for it? Is it too risky to consider do you think or is relatively safe?
Any thoughts or details of your experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
It depends on the hotel. If it is a nicer hotel than yes, it would be fine. They will deliver it to the front desk. Make sure it has your name on it as well as the hotel name an address. The clerk should call your room when it gets there, but not always. :) make sure it is insured!

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I just posted this in another brand specific forum but thought it is probably better suited to this general watch discussion forum.

Has anyone purchased a watch from an AD but had it delivered to a hotel they are staying at which is located in a different city to the dealer? I am travelling to the US this week and am considering this as an option. Would I need to sign for it myself or would someone in reception be able to sign for it? Is it too risky to consider do you think or is relatively safe?
Any thoughts or details of your experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Yes, I've done this twice before.

We were in Switzerland, and I had my grandfather's watch cleaned and serviced, and delivered to our hotel (they would not take the watch in without an address, even if you picked it up). The other, more recent incident was in Philadelphia, when my watch bracelet seemed loose, and I took it to an AD. They too delivered it to the hotel without any problems. In fact, this was 3 weeks ago.

Both times, it was a pleasant experience without any hitches. As other posters have indicated, make sure it's a good hotel. It would not hurt to let the concierge know that you're expecting a valuable package.

·
Registered
20,936 Posts
I know people who work on petrol platform two weeks a month and spending the other two weeks on a hotel, they used to have various things delivered to the hotel where they live.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I should think it would be good to tell them it is valuable and needs to go in a safe but I would also worry that might increase the temptation for someone to "accidently lose it"?

·
Registered
20,936 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I should think it would be good to tell them it is valuable and needs to go in a safe but I would also worry that might increase the temptation for someone to "accidently lose it"?
You can limit the risk by choosing a reputable hotel and tell them expressly that you are currently exprecting the package, good hotel generally have big reception desk with CCD cameras, noone would risk his/her job for a watch even if it's valuable.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
To lvt's point, I doubt it's going to be a problem at a good hotel. If you've informed the hotel of your package and its value, they could become liable if someone were to steal it. It would not be worth it, for them, and there would then be an incentive to make sure you get it safely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts