WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 11+ year old Seiko SKX007j. It has logged more bottom time than pretty much any other dive watch in my collection:

As you know, this is not an expensive watch, and as you also know, many of us are quite fond of our old Seiko divers. Cheap divers such as these invariably create a dilemma - do you spend money servicing them or spend about the same money and replace them? I'm have replaced the stem and crystal and given the old girl a service, so there's my answer. I have spent more on the watch than it's worth, and I'm just fine with that, even though I could have saved money and had a brand new 007. Any other sentimental fools out there?

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Same here, this is my most sentimental watch. I had this watch before I ever even considered watch collecting. I think this 007 has more on the wrist hours than all my watches put together. It's case and crystal are burned up pretty bad from welding slag but it still works great. If or when it stops working, I will give it the full resto-mod treatment. Some of the 007 mods I have seen on the forum are extremely cool.

Product Brown Fashion accessory Watch Analog watch

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
I think that's the absolutely right thing to do. Sentimental value might be intangible, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have a similar watch (the 007's smaller version), and it's been similar places with me - far and away the watch I dive with most frequently. It's going on 5 years old now, and, when it needs a service, I'll be spending money on getting it done. It's worth it.

Reactions: Medusa

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've spent a lot of money fixing and keeping my 20 year old aqualand duplex looking and running like new so I know how you feel. It was my first dive watch and will be with me as long as I'm here.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Most watch value is based on feel. Any one of a 100 threads on here talks about after "it tells time and its waterproof" it's all about loving it. If you love it, its worth it.

Reactions: Medusa

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I will definitely spend more on a watch than it is worth..In the age of disposable everything I see my watches as something that is less disposable than my other possessions. Although I do own a few relatively cheap watches, I do not see them as throw away junk. My watchmaker is very fair and pretty cheap so I usually get taken care of.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i have my rolex 16610 from 1999 that is very sentimental i will not sell for any price. need a new 600$ more or less service after a 7 years from the last but i am happy to spent when i have the money.
is more easy for me to sell and buy a new one but if i sell this one i will regret a LOT!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
While I likely would not have done this, but you absolutely did the right thing. If a watch has significant sentimental value it worth whatever the cost to service/restore it.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
IMO, if I had an older, semi-vintage, very-sentimental watch that I loved but I wanted to 'renew' (which I will, but my SKX isn't quite 3 yet =)... I would get the stuff done... change the crystal, change the movement if I had to... BUT I would KEEP those old parts so that if I ever wanted it back to original, I could put it all back. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting a fresh movement in if it improves the watch (esp a 7s26, "dime a dozen" movement that will be around for a while still), as long as you keep the original one.

BUT, once you get into polishing cases and removing the watches hard-earned war wounds, that becomes too much.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sentimental Value is a much better deal! I believe you did the right thing.

I've had my SMP for 17 years and put it in for a major overhaul about 3 years ago (I've kept the original bezel and inlay).

I haven't really worn it since, as my tastes have changed - But, oddly it is still one of my favourite watches... as it reminds me of so many different people, places and experiences that we had "together".

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts