WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've posted the below on F74 as well, but thought it might be worth repeating here, specifically on the ORIS forum, just in case this has happened to any owners here with their divers?

Several days after having ordered it online, a nice quality 2mm flat-headed jewellers screwdriver finally turned up in the post today. So... this evening I thought I'd finally swap over the bracelet on my new Oris Depth Gauge to it's rubber cousin - just to experience the difference in fit, feel and look etc.

Taking, what I thought was great care at the time, I lined up the screwdrivers (the other came in the Depth Gauge's kit) with the chrome headed screws in the lug shoulders as best I could, with both hands ......and slipped!

The result being a fine but more than noticeable 3-4mm scratch to the outer lug shoulder/arm, call it what you will. I won't recount the Anglo-Saxon lingo that immediately followed! :-(

No need to worry I thought, I've had good results removing similar scratches from other SS watches I own - typically to the clasps etc - so I set to work, rubbing said lug shoulder VERY, VERY carefully with an uber-fine emery board - being inordinately careful to keep a consistent pressure and steady straight line whilst doing so.

Eventually, after what seemed like ages, the scratch all but disappeared, but, now I'm left with a moderately shiny brushed finish, instead of the DG's gorgeous satin finish ...and for a WIS as anal as me, the result is killing me! :-(

So, may I ask my illustrious peers and fellow watch lovers here a simple question please...

Does anyone know of a paste, compound, cloth or pad that can produce a fine satin fish instead of a semi-shiny brushed finish? I have a sneaking suspicion I've been a total idiot and will never get the satin finish required back again! :-(

Apologies for the rather lengthy diatribe ...but any suggestions or recc's would be more than greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I have not tried this so I cannot guaranty any results. However, I have heard of people using a Scotchbrite pad to get a brushed finish. You might give that a try.

Chris
That won't work. A Scotchbrite pad will give a brushed finish, not a satin finish.

I'm a master at refinishing polished and brushed cases, but satin finishes have thus far eluded me, so unfortunately I can't help.

·
Registered
60,608 Posts
Brent, you're on the right continent to answer this one. Would something called Bon Ami compound be what Mark's looking for? I have asked you because it's an American product.

·
Banned
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brent, you're on the right continent to answer this one. Would something called Bon Ami compound be what Mark's looking for? I have asked you because it's an American product.

Dear Chris, Brent, John...

Many thanks for so kindly contributing with your thoughts & suggestions.

I'm gonna try fixing my woes with a Garryson Garryflex Abrasive Block - Medium 120 grit. This option was especially strongly recommended online, and by a watchmaker I contacted today, for achieving the fine Satin finish required - and importantly it's easy to source the Garryflex Block here in the UK, John.

Apparently for future ref... if you use any finer grade i.e. 60 grit, you can achieve an unwanted shine ...any courser i.e. 240 and you get a more standard brushed finish - which ordinarily is quite satisfactory for normal brushed SS ...but not satin.

I'll give it one VERY careful bash ...failing that, the DG will go into a jeweller's for professional refinishing!

Thanks once again guys - your input is much appreciated!

Very best regards

Mark

·
Registered
60,608 Posts
Hi Mark, I saw your post on the dive watch forum and think that out of the various remedies suggested the course of action that you plan is the best. One good thing to have come out of this is that people like me who might have been tempted to fiddle about with screw-bars without resorting to masking tape on the lugs now have proof that accidents can happen.

·
Banned
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Mark, I saw your post on the dive watch forum and think that out of the various remedies suggested the course of action that you plan is the best. One good thing to have come out of this is that people like me who might have been tempted to fiddle about with screw-bars without resorting to masking tape on the lugs now have proof that accidents can happen.
Hi John,

Many thanks for your support and encouragement re' the above. Hopefully the Garryflex block will arrive this weekend or early next week, and I'll let you know how I get on with it.

As for the preventative course of action discussed i.e. use of masking tape - it's a no brainer for me, from now on ...certainly with regard to my Oris anyway!

Hope you have a great weekend mate!

Best regards, as always,

Mark

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I'm gonna try fixing my woes with a Garryson Garryflex Abrasive Block - Medium 120 grit. This option was especially strongly recommended online, and by a watchmaker I contacted today, for achieving the fine Satin finish required - and importantly it's easy to source the Garryflex Block here in the UK, John.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it works for you. I've never heard of a Garryflex Block before. I wonder if it's similar to what we call a drywall sanding sponge over here?

·
Banned
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking forward to seeing how it works for you. I've never heard of a Garryflex Block before. I wonder if it's similar to what we call a drywall sanding sponge over here?

Hi Brent,

I'd never heard of the Garryflex block before this previous week either, but what I can tell you is...

I ordered it off of Amazon (.co.uk) and it arrived yesterday morning - total cost including P&P was £6:50 ...so circa $10.

It was larger than I'd thought it be (i.e. 8cm x 5cm x 2cm), and is extremely dense in weight.

Trialled it late last night on my Seiko Spork's clasp - which had its fair share of desk diver swirls and scuffs etc. It did a stunning job (albeit after some time, patience is required), and removed the lot of them with a finish identical to the original!

Was out & about today but couldn't wait any longer... so this afternoon switched on all the lights in my Study, found my an old magnifying glass, put my readers on ...and set about repairing my DG with a degree of nervous trepidation.

Taped off the surrounding area carefully, with selloptape, and gingerly set about removing the hideous stratch, AND, unwanted sheen that the emery board (I had used previously) caused. By the way, I have absolutely no idea what the courseness of the aformentioned board was - except to say it was VERY fine. Too fine as it would happen ...hence the shine/sheen it caused.

After some 45mins to an hour I'd finished the task, and what can I say!

For sure one needs to keep a very steady, straight, consistent hand ...but the result is nigh on PERFECT! This block is an absolute godsend, and I wholeheartedly recommend to everyone on WUS with scratch renovation needs in mind!

Kind regards

Mark

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
That's great to hear. I'll have to order one of those.

For deeper scratches you could use a courser grinding paper to even out or remove the scratch, then finish it off with the block to give it back the original satin finish. Great to have a solution now for repairing satin finishes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts