WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a a fairly old Seamaster, and I don't want to start wearing it until I get it fully serviced. It's about 15-20 years old, and has NEVER been serviced. It's a gift from my dad. Because it needs "the works," I'm thinking about just going through Omega, but the watchmaker I go to has done a great job for me so far and has all the proper certifications to work on Omega, Rolexes, et cetera. What do you guys think? Where should I take the watch. Omega boutique, or indie watch guy? And why?

I expect to pay basically double (or maybe 50% more) going through Omega. But I don't mind paying a premium if it's justified.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
What movement/watch reference?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If it is the older model with ETA movement and not a Co-axial then I'm sure Your trusted Watchmaker can handle it like a piece of cake... As You've said already, He is Certified to handle Omega...

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
It depends. Do you want a practically new watch (with a 2 year warranty) when its back in your hands? If so, send it to Omega. (Expect pricing to back that up)

If you just want a movement service and a decent job with it, have your watchmaker do it.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If you trust your watch guy, have him do it.

Have you trusted your watch guy in the past for similar watches? If so, it'd be no hesitation with me of I were in your shoes.

Ask him in detail what his service includes etc. and compare with what Omega's service includes, and then make a decision if its hard to choose between them.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Ask him in detail what his service includes etc. and compare with what Omega's service includes, and then make a decision if its hard to choose between them.
And to help you with this comparison, Omega's website explains in some detail what they will include in their 23-step service. I think there's also a video.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What movement/watch reference?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
You know, I have no idea. Haven't gotten around to figuring that out. While definitely a plus from a design standpoint, the lack text on the case-back doesn't help, either:
IMG_0945.jpeg IMG_0948.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
I believe it is the full size version (41 mm). The movement is a caliber 1120 based on a very common ETA movement. Any good watchmaker should be able to service it without any problem at a significantly lower cost and quicker than Omega.
However, if you go with the service with Omega, you are guaranteed that any part replaced will be genuine Omega parts and you will get a 2 year warranty on the watch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I would use my independent. I sent an Omega Seamaster GMT with the ETA 2893 into Omega for service and it took them 4 tries to get it right. Would run right for a week or month or two and then stop running. That should tell you something about the level of technicians they are using for service work.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, with the anti-counterfeit logo its actually only around 10 years old.

It's a 2531.80 (Also called the Bond SMP)

Do you see a red dot anywhere on the caseback?
No red dot.

I believe it is the mid size version(36 mm). The movement is a caliber 1120 based on a very common ETA movement. Any good watchmaker should be able to service it without any problem at a significantly lower cost and quicker than Omega.
However, if you go with the service with Omega, you are guaranteed that any part replaced will be genuine Omega parts and you will get a 2 year warranty on the watch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
It's a 42mm.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it's been opened before, and its 41mm.
41. Thanks. Looks considerably bigger than a 40mm diver I have, always thought it was 42. You have a good eye. Especially if you're right about the model, which I just looked up on the Omega site. How sure are you? Is there any way for me to visually confirm this? is pinpointing the year possible without opening it up?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
41. Thanks. Looks considerably bigger than a 40mm diver I have, always thought it was 42. You have a good eye. Especially if you're right about the model, which I just looked up on the Omega site. How sure are you? Is there any way for me to visually confirm this? is pinpointing the year possible without opening it up?
whats the first two numbers of the serial? mine is from 06 and my first two are 81

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you send it to Omega, it will look brand new when you get it back. The 1120 Movement is very easy to work on. I would also suggest having the bezel replaced too. Yours is looking a bit worn. Just another thought...Have you considered having the hands replaced with the larger ones? It would be a nice more modern upgrade.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts