WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a quote from LVMH for servicing my 7 year old, seldom worn Link calibre 6 (ETA 2895 - basically a 2892 with small seconds).

$300 for movement service.
$76 for a new bezel (my request since it had a single deep scratch that I didn't think would polish out well).
$200 for case/bracelet refurbishment.

Clearly more than I expected by $150-200. Should I spend the $200 to get the Link case and bracelet refurbished? They're not in bad shape (I'd say 90-92%) with a few nicks here and there and a small gouge in the case that is barely noticeable.

Guess I'm disappointed that Tag doesn't include case/bracelet refurbishment in service costs as do most other brands.

Cheers,
NM

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just got a quote from LVMH for servicing my 7 year old, seldom worn Link calibre 6 (ETA 2895 - basically a 2892 with small seconds).

$300 for movement service.
$76 for a new bezel (my request since it had a single deep scratch that I didn't think would polish out well).
$200 for case/bracelet refurbishment.

Clearly more than I expected by $150-200. Should I spend the $200 to get the Link case and bracelet refurbished? They're not in bad shape (I'd say 90-92%) with a few nicks here and there and a small gouge in the case that is barely noticeable.
How bad are the nicks/scratches?
Pics?

Guess I'm disappointed that Tag doesn't include case/bracelet refurbishment in service costs as do most other brands.
What brands are those? Maybe its subject to the shop that you take your watches to. All of my watches I have bought from the same jeweler, and when they need servicing they have always went back to the same place. But, other than coming back cleaned inside and out, I have never had a case and bracelet refurbishment for any of my watches

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I personal like watches to look worn, but not damaged, it would take a lot for me to have a watch polished, having said that it does sound a high quote.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys no pics as I have sent the watch in already. To me part of the joy is having the watch come back looking new. Guess I am just shell shocked to realize how expensive Tags service is.

NM

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Rolex AD I bought my Submariner from will polish the watch/bracelet for free once a year, for life. Not really my thing, but they still offer this service.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The Rolex AD I bought my Submariner from will polish the watch/bracelet for free once a year, for life. Not really my thing, but they still offer this service.
thats probably done by the AD with their own in house watchmaker, doubt its by Rolex Service Centre.

but that doesn't sound out of line by the OP. if its just a ETA movement take it to a trusted watchmaker. mine charges me 200 or so for a ETA servicing.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wish I had a trusted watchmaker. I emailed one of the forum favorites but was turned down as he's too busy. I paid the full amount and figured over the next 5-7 years it's not that bad...but I will have to think twice about buying Tag again as most other companies seem to include a polishing in the service cost. I could understand $600 if parts were needed but nothing other than a polished steel bezel was needed.

NM

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've found that there are some users on this site who seem to think that every watch service no matter the watch should never be over $100 and tell you that you are getting ripped off if you spend anything over that. I had a 60 year old Omega that I took in for service and everyone on here who commented said I was getting my a$$ handed to me if I paid over $200 but every place in town I took it was $700 for the service and parts. I'm not saying that $700 isn't a little high but $100-$200 wasn't realistic. So, take the price of servicing comments with a grain of salt. I said this in another post that it seems like a LOT of people on this site have some little old man who works out of his own home with no overhead and services watches out of the goodness of his heart for no profit.

Reactions: Crate410

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am facing an issue with this right now. I have sent my watch, basically since I purchased it, to fix because the chronograph was not aligned. Warranty covered the "cost" for 2 years. I kept on having the issue where the chronograph would not be aligned to the 12:00, and they kept on "fixing it." It seemed that my watch was more often at the service than with me. Anyways, I missed fixing it within one year of the warranty, I sent it to the workshop, and NOW they want to charge me for a new movement for around 700 euros because they found the source of the problem. Has anyone experienced this with a Caliber S?

I have been struggling with trying to explain to them that this problem has been ongoing since day 1. I keep on being put to hold. I am very disappointed with Tag Heuer's customer service.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I was recently quoted $725 to get my autavia chromo function going again. This is after i already put in 200 for a new bezel. I'd say you're doing pretty good compared to me lol

·
Registered
41,192 Posts
Yep, I was PO'd for months when I first paid $20. After all, I used to think that 15 was fair enough, but that was
48 years ago and the "Dollar" has lost a lot of purchasing power since them; maybe 96%.
I've found that there are some users on this site who seem to think that every watch service no matter the watch should never be over $100 and tell you that you are getting ripped off if you spend anything over that. I had a 60 year old Omega that I took in for service and everyone on here who commented said I was getting my a$$ handed to me if I paid over $200 but every place in town I took it was $700 for the service and parts. I'm not saying that $700 isn't a little high but $100-$200 wasn't realistic. So, take the price of servicing comments with a grain of salt. I said this in another post that it seems like a LOT of people on this site have some little old man who works out of his own home with no overhead and services watches out of the goodness of his heart for no profit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, if I have the option to change the brezel + full service in Dubai vs Madrid vs London vs Prague; which one would you suggest?

·
Banned
56 Posts
Same price in Canada ($300 US) for service movement
What got me totally shock tho was the price of a new dial (for an LWO283).
I ordered one without asking how much it was than saw the 540$ bill ($405 US).
Just crazy price for a tiny little object...

·
Registered
6 Posts
In Dubai its 720 USD which includes polishing and new movement- But, we are talking about different watched right now. So I can understand that the price is different.

Same price in Canada ($300 US) for service movement
What got me totally shock tho was the price of a new dial (for an LWO283).
I ordered one without asking how much it was than saw the 540$ bill ($405 US).
Just crazy price for a tiny little object...

·
Registered
582 Posts
In Dubai its 720 USD which includes polishing and new movement- But, we are talking about different watched right now. So I can understand that the price is different.
Expensive, around 2600 dhms.
This is Quartz isn't it? Caliber S.

Sent via post office using snail mail.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts