WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen various threads regarding spa services and the like. I am rather overdue for Rolex watch servicing, and could use some input.

I have two Rolexes in question:

Explorer II - E series - I haven't had it serviced in like, forever. Bought it used quite some time ago. Keeps great time. Case looks just fine.

Daytona (s/s) - K series - Haven't serviced it since I purchased it new. Keeps great time. Polished case and bracelet need TLC. I wore it way too much when I first got it, etc.

a) Kind of hesitant to bring the Explorer in, to some extent. I almost hate for someone to take apart a watch that is working perfectly. (for any reason) I know about wear, but.. .

b) Again, the Daytona doesn't seem to have a problem in the world other than looking a bit scuffy. But I hear stories about watches getting polished and lugs not looking sharp afterwards - kind of a turn-off, you know? And preventive maintenance is an issue, too.. .do I or don't I if it's working just fine?

c) Do I send to Rolex (NYC) for a watch-colonic and facial?

d) Do I send to a qualified watchmaker who isn't Rolex-authorized?

e) In some respects, if a watchmaker knows what he's doing, the prospect of savings seems nice in the context of putting it towards another watch. I also like the idea of putting my money in some kindly old watchmaker's hands rather than a corporate monster like Rolex.

f) I need to establish myself with a good watchmaker outside of the Rolex-situation.

Any thoughts or referrals or spa certificates would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi, I know what you mean about wanting to give your money to a 'kindly old watchmaker', but, to be honest, for the best job, I would send it off to Rolex. think of it this way . . . what if the kindly old watchmaker was to damage your watch; would you be like I would, and feel awful for taking money off of this person, who you probably have made a good relationship with? Well, it's your decision, but i wouldn't, and i am sure you wouldn't hesitate in taking money off of Rolex, if they did anything to your watches.

Hope I have helped you,
Kind regards,
Oliver.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Take it to a Rolex AD. They will send it off to Rolex and can give you advice on anything you could want to know. Don't trust anyone other then Rolex to handle a watch that isn't vintage. As for coming back not perfect I have never had a problem. In fact I have seen really old watches go in looking awful and come out looking brand new. Good luck.

·
4,391 Posts
Leave the 16570 alone for now...

the movement will be servicable by Rolex for many more years. Wait for some deviation or another problem.

As for the Daytona, you only real choice would be to

a), live with the scratches, or
b), send it to a RSC for a full service and refininsh.

Local AD's do have trained Rolex watchmakers on staff. Check around. Perhaps you local AD has one available. They do very good movement work. They can also pressure test and replace seals, and have a parts account with Rolex, but they usually do not refinish the case as would a RSC. They are genuinly more sympathetic to vintage pieces as well, unlike the big service centers who will somtime force changes to hands or dials on vintage watches before agreeing to service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts