WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Seiko quartz watches that haven't run in 5 or 10 years. They are about 20 years old. My recollection is that they stopped sooner after insertion of a new battery than I would have expected.

The watches have sentimental value, so I would like to get them running again. I was going to send them to the Seiko service center in New Jersey.

Do quartz watches need servicing other than battery replacement? Are there any gears for the hands, the mechanism showing the moon phase, or some other part that could use new oil. I imagine the gaskets could be replaces.

My basic question is whether it is worth having service done (I know it could be cheaper just to get a new Seiko, but I want these watches operating if possible).

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I can't be totally sure, since automatics are supposed to be serviced around 5 years I guess you could wait at least 10 years. however I know a guy who has worn a quartz tag for 10 years without servicing no problem. Seeing as how your watches are 20 years old, I'd say a good servicing couldnt do any harm.

Reactions: flyby71

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'd be concerned if the batteries have been left in, dead batteries can leak and ruin a watch. Analog quartz watches do have gears but they are under much less stress than a mechanical watch.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,973 Posts
I have two Seiko quartz watches that haven't run in 5 or 10 years. They are about 20 years old. My recollection is that they stopped sooner after insertion of a new battery than I would have expected.

The watches have sentimental value, so I would like to get them running again. I was going to send them to the Seiko service center in New Jersey.

Do quartz watches need servicing other than battery replacement? Are there any gears for the hands, the mechanism showing the moon phase, or some other part that could use new oil. I imagine the gaskets could be replaces.

My basic question is whether it is worth having service done (I know it could be cheaper just to get a new Seiko, but I want these watches operating if possible).

Thanks for your thoughts.
As Ron noted the first question to be addressed is whether the old batteries were left in the watches or removed. If still inside those watches they may have leaked by now.
If there isn't any leakage I would just pop in a new battery and give them a try. Unless they are Seiko GS quartz or similar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The batteries were left in, so leakage is a possible problem. I guess I was trying to get a feel for whether a bit of oiling and replacement of gaskets/seals is needed at some point in the life of a quartz watch that you want to keep (in which case, my watches exceed the likely service interval no matter what it is).

·
Registered
265 Posts
eventually the quartz movement will go bad and need replacement. I recently took in my 11 year old Rado for service at the authorized repair center thinking it only needed a battery and was told the movement needed replacement. The good news is that it's relatively inexpensive. I think the entire service was around $120. Certainly a lot less than I pay for service on my mechanical watches. All of that said, my suggestion is to simply replace the battery first and see if that cures the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts